Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Planning to homeschool through high school?

Are you planning on homeschooling through high school?

Is that the point where you'll consider a private or public school?

Are you even thinking that far ahead yet, or just trying to get through Kindergarten? *gg*

If you are hs'ing through high school, are you on an interest-based track, or college-prep?

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Autumn will be back home for high school (the schools she'll start at this fall only goes through grade 8).

Yes, we plan to homeschool the boys through high school as well.

We are on a college prep track.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Not after your last post.  :)  I think for my oldest, yes.  The others?  We'll see.

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I would like to continue through high school (I have a first grader) but I'm going to take things year by year. If she is going to be sent to a B&M school, I would prefer a private school.

littlelamb303
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I was considering this for my dd in HS, but how do you teach chemistry and trig from home?

SusanTheWriter
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I was fortunate to find a retired science teacher who teaches classes of homeschoolers in her home. She used Apologia Chemistry and had a lab in her basement so the kids could do the experiments! I would definitely look into local co-ops for opportunities like that when it gets closer to those years.

As for Trig and advanced math, we've also been fortunate with a combination of things. 1) DD is very quick at grasping those concepts, 2) we found curriculum that guided her and had supplemental materials to help with questions, 3) our library offers free after-school tutoring by local university students in various subjects including higher math, and 4) my DH is an engineer who works with higher math every day.

But for kids who don't have 1 and 4, then good curriculum plus tutoring is the best combination.

Quoting littlelamb303:

I was considering this for my dd in HS, but how do you teach chemistry and trig from home?

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:03 PM

My children choose to be homeschooled and my decision to support and do it with them won't change regardless of their ages and grades.  We incorporate some interest based materials and activities throughout the school year, but we also stick to what will help them through high school and college too.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:05 PM

As long as the kids are still learning, we plan to homeschool through high school.  We've done private and public schools and if we decided not to homeschool anymore, we'd probably look at one of the alternative schools in our area.  W

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM

We're only in elementary but we use OM.  I dont know if I'd use their school either.  I kind of like it on my own.  We'll see though

Quoting Boobah:

We are planning on homeschooling through high school. I haven't considered how yet, I'm thinking oak meadow, though I'm not sure if I will use their "school" or do it all myself. I'm kind of a do it myself kind of person, but we will see how it goes.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

More than likely I will. But right now we're just taking this one day at a time.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:46 PM
We take it year by year and child by child.

Last year you read about my oldest wanting to go to public high school for 9th. I pulled strings and got him into a special robotics and engineering program. That lasted 4 days before he realized how much wasted time was involved.

My middle DS, I cant ever see him going back.

DD, who knows.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)