Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Planning to homeschool through high school?

Are you planning on homeschooling through high school?

Is that the point where you'll consider a private or public school?

Are you even thinking that far ahead yet, or just trying to get through Kindergarten? *gg*

If you are hs'ing through high school, are you on an interest-based track, or college-prep?

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Replies (21-28):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM

We are conidering going through highschol, but we aren't 100% committed to it. We're going to reasses how things are going by the start of 8th grade year and see how it's all going. It's also going to depend on where we're living at that point.
If we're still in the general area we are now, we are going to highly consider it, and attempt to have them take correspondance classes at the college right up the road in the areas they're excelling in. If we move over to the county next to us, and if the kids are really involved in one particular sport, we might let them just so they can join a more "serious" team. But that is entirely up to them. Like I said - we'd have to reassess everything....
If we do homeschool through high school it will be both interst-based and college prep. If they really know what it is they want to do, we will continue to have them explore that area more, while also enforcing colleg expectations so that if that is part of their path, they'll be ready for it. (Then again, I already make my 4th grader write reference pages and have already taught her intext citations, and all the proper formatting for MLA, Chicago/Turbian, and APA. She doesn't write many papers, and I do NOT expect her to do it on her own. I work on it with her every step. By 6th grade though, I expect her to be able to do most of it).

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM
We are planning to homeschool through high school. We have a while to go, before high school.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:28 PM

My daugher is a sixth grader, and we are "practicing" keeping grades this year, too.   I was told to start building the portfolio around 8th grade, but the bulk of the stuff you will want to keep won't be until 9th grade.   

I went to a homeschool high school class, and the big things I took away from it....

1.   Plan all four years in advance.   Be prepared to make changes and tweak things, but have a plan based on the direction the child wants to go.   Make sure that there are enough classes/credits planned for the whole 4 years.

2.  Call colleges in the 8th grade year that your child MIGHT be interested in attending.   Find out what their requirements are for homeschoolers and base your plans on that.

3.  Volunteer!!!  Be a part of groups and extra curricular!!!   Work as an intern if able, even for free, anything slightly having to do with your goals.   While you do these things, begin gathering letters of reference from people.

4.   Take as many tests as many times as you can... like the ACT is offered I think 6 times a year... take it all six times because you only have to put in your best score.   The lady that did the class I took said her daughter took the test "one more time" and managed to get such a high score that she got a full scholarship to her school of choice.    There are a lot more tests out there than just your basic GED, ACT, and SAT....

5.   Plan to give your child a diploma.   This way, when they apply for jobs, they can honestly check the box that they recieved a diploma instead of looking like a drop out and getting overlooked just because of the assumption.

6.   There is nothing wrong with the GED, but don't rely on it alone, otherwise homeschoolers get labeled "drop outs" in some bosses minds.

7.   Some colleges have opportunity to do dual enrollment if your child is ready.   It can be CONSIDERABLY cheaper to take classes while in high school than once you graduate based on the programs available.   

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I'm planning to continue through high school. For my ds I'll just do interest based since he is already well on his way to becoming a mechanic like my dh. Working at our family owned shop is already part of his curriculum. Dd is planning on college, so this year ( 7th grade) we'll start tracking her grades, classes, and activities to start building her portfolio for future college admission.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM

We are blessed to live near a larger city and have a TON of resources.   Our homeschool group has a learning center that offers some high school courses.   Otherwise, tutors and trading with experienced homeschooling families might be best.   Much of the work can be learned together as you go and you can google what you don't understand.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I was fortunate to find a retired science teacher who teaches classes of homeschoolers in her home. She used Apologia Chemistry and had a lab in her basement so the kids could do the experiments! I would definitely look into local co-ops for opportunities like that when it gets closer to those years.

As for Trig and advanced math, we've also been fortunate with a combination of things. 1) DD is very quick at grasping those concepts, 2) we found curriculum that guided her and had supplemental materials to help with questions, 3) our library offers free after-school tutoring by local university students in various subjects including higher math, and 4) my DH is an engineer who works with higher math every day.

But for kids who don't have 1 and 4, then good curriculum plus tutoring is the best combination.

Quoting littlelamb303:

I was considering this for my dd in HS, but how do you teach chemistry and trig from home?

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:41 PM

There is no plan. We take things as they come.

Joann.HS
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:30 PM
This sums us up, lol.

But, we are considering a small, private school in the future.

Quoting celticdragon77:

There is no plan. We take things as they come.

armygirl16
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I plan on homeschool all the way through high school.  It will be a combo of interest and college based track.  I hope she chooses to go to college, and I will help her do her research and decide what career will be worth going through college for (and paying the money for it, verses degrees that don't help you at all).

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) Ask me a question!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I have no idea.  DH says if we hs, he would want them hsed in high school, he says that's the time he worries most for them.  Me, I just don't know.  I like the idea of hs'ing all the way, I just don't want to be so set on it and have hs'ing not work for us and be super disappointed.  Since this is our first year and our kids are middle school aged-I just hope to get through this year without damaging them too much..then we will go from there. ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)