Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My friend's personal testimony, homeschooling started at the boob

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

Our daughter nursed for just 7 months and will likely homeschool through high school. Our son nursed for 4½ years and we just finished his first day of a traditional high school.

It’s all about the launch. We do our part - THEY will tell you what God intends for them....

John-John was not ready to stop nursing any of the 7 times we tried to wean him. We had the wise counsel of others to LISTEN to him. UGH... 4½ years was hard!

We tried to keep Lindsey nursing for at least a year. She had her first taste of solid food and said, “I don’t think so sister, this is MUCH easier… hand over that spoon!” No matter what I did, she was just no longer interested in the boob – too much work.

My theory –HOMESCHOOLING STARTED ON THE BOOB.

What I’ve learned:
1. Focus on Character not curriculum. (Relationship at a young age pays off)
2. Cultivate an atmosphere of Honesty, then you develop a trust relationship and it’s natural to let them go to become independent
3. Hard working - then they work on their own
4. Field trips, field trips, field trips.
5. Fun, Fun, Fun.
6. Love on them to the ends of the earth and have wide, and VERY concrete, consistent boundaries.
7. Rules without relationship = Rebellion
8. Lesson from Oprah: The first moment you see your child every morning, celebrate them and love on them.
9. Quantity vs. quality. If you have quantity, the quality times will happen
10. Mommy Day Off – Early marriage days we counseled with Nan & Dave Dhuet. As a homeschooling mom, they recommended a “Mommy Day Off.” Best advice for our kids, and our marriage.

Our daughter (2nd born) was in the car seat so much that the back of her hair didn’t grow-out until after her 3rd birthday. What’s homeschool? We did car school.

So, truth be known… I guess we never covered “California History”… not in 4th grade… or any other time. And we’re 100% fine with that. Here’s our jumping point for California history: Heading south on the 5 passing Junipero Serra (on the way to the yearly Sea World field trip). That starts the conversation about the missions. Just like you homeschooling moms, right?

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Truth :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celticdragon77
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this

What is missions? 

Quoting Precious333:

So, truth be known… I guess we never covered “California History”… not in 4th grade… or any other time. And we’re 100% fine with that. Here’s our jumping point for California history: Heading south on the 5 passing Junipero Serra (on the way to the yearly Sea World field trip). That starts the conversation about the missions. Just like you homeschooling moms, right?

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:05 AM
2 moms liked this

I can see where you could draw correlation, but not causation. 

Your 1-10 list is pretty good though. 

Precious333
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
In california, california history is.covered in rhe 4th grade. They cover the old missions that are located all over california.

Quoting celticdragon77:

What is missions? 

Quoting Precious333:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I think I'm a bit lost,lol.

Oldest dd was ff and attends public school, youngest dd was breastfed for 6 1/2 years and goes to public school. Ds breastfed for almost 6 years and home schools.

What's the connection again?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Precious333
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM
She's not saying you had to be bfed.to.be homeschooled, or that all who homeschool ate bfed. She's just sharing that her homeschooling journey started with breastfeeding.

Quoting paganbaby:I think I'm a bit lost,lol. Oldest dd was ff and attends public school, youngest dd was breastfed for 6 1/2 years and goes to public school. Ds breastfed for almost 6 years and home schools.What's the connection again?
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh okay. I just couldn't figure out the connection is all.

Quoting Precious333:

She's not saying you had to be bfed.to.be homeschooled, or that all who homeschool ate bfed. She's just sharing that her homeschooling journey started with breastfeeding.

Quoting paganbaby:I think I'm a bit lost,lol. Oldest dd was ff and attends public school, youngest dd was breastfed for 6 1/2 years and goes to public school. Ds breastfed for almost 6 years and home schools.What's the connection again?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM
That is pretty awesome.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I can relate to the car school statement. We did the same thing with our three oldest and our fourth was just a baby.
celticdragon77
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I went and googled it, interesting... 

Why aren't they covering "California history"?

Quoting Precious333:

In california, california history is.covered in rhe 4th grade. They cover the old missions that are located all over california.

Quoting celticdragon77:

What is missions? 

Quoting Precious333:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)