Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teaching basic fractions

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM
  • 11 Replies
Please tell me your tips and tricks to teaching basic fractions. I'm talking 1/2, 1/4, 1/3, whole, 1/2+1/2= a whole... Those kinds of things. I cut paper plates and labeled them and used measuring cups but they didn't seem to help too much. The plates helped more than the cupa but she is still confused. Help please!!! Math and science are my biggest weakness so I have a hard time finding a good way to teach my kiddos when I suck at the subject.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrittO2
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

With DD we have done it with pizza or breakfast quesadillas. When she got one we would count the pieces and turn it into a fraction. As she ate them she would proudly start telling me how much she had eaten and we would put it in terms of fractions and go over subtracting and adding the fractions. 

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:35 PM

We have done like the other poster & having them help me bake they have to use fractions.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Math U see has a GREAT set of fraction manipulatives!

They are colored backgrounds with clear overlays. The overlays have lines on them and depending how you lay them and.turn them they make different fractions. They were a HUGE help for my middle child.
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I started with "symmetry" with my son. He learned equal parts because of this. It took him a week to understand symmetry but it's a good start.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

ballerina.2006
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM
I use MUS so I'll look for the manipulatives to add in :)

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Math U see has a GREAT set of fraction manipulatives!

They are colored backgrounds with clear overlays. The overlays have lines on them and depending how you lay them and.turn them they make different fractions. They were a HUGE help for my middle child.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

cut up pretty much any food.   Orange wedges, apples, pizza, etc...   Play with your food!!!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I used a muffin tin and cut out circles to go on the tops.  Then I would use rulers to "cut" the tin into halves, thirds, quarters, sixths, and twelfths.  Covering the tops and changing the rulers' postitions to show equal fractions.  IE cover 2 muffin holes and show how it is 2/12 and also 1/6, cover three sections and show 3/12 and 1/4, cover 4 holes and show 4/12, 2/6 and 1/3, etc.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

You could also use candy or lego's and her "friends" (siblings, stuffed animals, pets, whatever works) and say you have 2 friends and you should each get the same because it's fair-that is 1/2...then 4 friends need the same to be fair, that's 1/4 for each.  My DD will need this very physical hands on this year to be sure she really grasps it, and this is my plan for her.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

The Doorbell Rang is about making and sharing cookies with friends who show up (though it's more division than fractions, but you can work the language in).  I love the pizza plan.

freemane
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this
My dad always used food. If we got our answer right we could eat it. I still think of cake in fractions...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)