Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOMESCHOOL FRIENDLY?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hey everyone if you live in a Homeschool friendly place do you have to report to anyone what you are teaching you child. Getting mixed information. (I live in Puerto Rico)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marrionsmommy
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM
In fl, you don't have to report what you are teaching them, but at the end of the yr you have fo either havecthem take a test or get evaluated byma teacher. It says fl is not the friendliest homeschool state but ive seen much worse lol. Dont knw if this helped but atmleast itll bump the post for u.
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:26 PM

This link might help you.

http://a2zhomeschooling.com/laws/united_states/puerto_rico_home_school_laws/

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Hi BautufuHart! Welcome! :)
Here is a bit of info for you to look at regarding your laws for homeschooling.

Click here to view the entire text of P.C. 2754 in Spanish. Below is a translation of some of the more dangerous provisions of the bill:

Section 5.—Notice on intent to homeschool

The parents, tutors, or legal custodians will notify the General Education Council their intent of establishing and maintaining a home education program. The notice will be a written notice signed by the parent, tutor or legal custodian, and will include: child name, his/her DOB, age, sex, home address, telephone number, current school grade or its equivalent, if it applies; school year (grade) he/she will pursue under homeschooling, educational institution where he comes from. It will also include a check or money order in the amount of $125.00 per home, under the Coumcil President’s name. Such a check will be deposited in a special account under the Council’s name. The special account’s funds will be used exclusively to cover those expenses incurred by the Council during the law’s implementation.

The parents, tutors or legal custodians will file this notice before the Council no later than 30 days after having begun the homeschool program. In the case of parents, tutors or legal custodians that, upon approval of this law are currently homeschooling, they must notify the Council within 60 days of the law’s approval.

The Council, once notice is received, will mail copy of the notice document, stamped with its official stamp. This document, copy of the notice document, will constitute sufficient academic evidence for any goverrment purpose. In no way will any agency discriminate against homeschooled children, nor under any circumstances.

Section 6.—Purpose of Notice

The notice of intent to establish and maintain a homeschool program has the purpose of allowing the Council to maintain information for statistical purposes; and, upon the request of the parent, tutor, or legal custodian, for the purpose of offering help in the (parents’) educational efforts. Additionally, such notice will be kept in file, to protect the homeschooling families from accusations of educational negligence or unjustified absences from school.

Section 7.—Notice of Intent to Stop Homeschooling

The Parent, tutor or legal guardian of the minor will notify the Council his/her intent to cease homeschooling. In such a case, the minor will be enrolled in a public or private educational institution, unless he/she is sent to a new alternative education program, which will have to be notified. Such notice will arrive no later than 15 days after having ceased the homeschooling process.

Section 9.—Portfolio

The parent, tutor or legal custodian will maintain a portfolio that evidences the minor’s progress, which will be subject to evaluation every four years, with prior notice from the Council. The evaluation will be for the purpose of confirming the compliance with the educational philosophy and mission selected by the parent, tutor or legal custodian. The file of each homeschooled child will include the following information: educational materials, activities, pieces of school work, tests or evaluations of the minor, vaccination reports, except in case that this goes against the minor’s religious practices and which information has been previously notified to the Council, etc.

The portfolio will be kept by the parents, tutors or legal custodians for a term of six years, after the child has graduated from high school.

8. Should Homeschoolers Agree to some Law that would Clarify Homeschooling in Puerto Rico?

No. The law is clear that home educators can qualify as non-governmental entity schools in Puerto Rico. Because homeschooling families are responsibly teaching their children at home and providing good citizens for the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, there is no justification for regulating home education in the Commonwealth. The fact is that individuals do a better job when they realize that they have the full responsibility for the success of the project. Regulation will restrict the number of parents that will initially qualify to be able to teach their children at home and interfere with the genius of home education, which is the ability to take an educational program and shape it to the individual needs of the child. To the contrary, any regulation will normally require standardization of education, testing, and evaluation, which is not in the best interest of children.

Here is the link......

http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/pr/FAQeng.asp
marrionsmommy
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Wow u guys have to pay tohomeschool....crazy how different laws are.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Everyone interprets "homeschool friendly" differently. Some of us do not mind a bit of oversight, so we interpret minimal oversight as still "friendly", also taking into account the general local feeling about homeschoolers - like available activities and attitudes; others do not care for any oversight, so any oversight is viewed as UNfriendly.

I live in what I consider a homeschool friendly state. We are required to register with an accountability association that has us sign a paper stating we have at least a GED, both parents agree to homeschooling, and that we will homeschool for 180 days. We are required to teach math, language arts, science, and history, but we aren't told what we have to use and we aren't required to test or have reviews. There are TONS of homeschool activities in the area.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:42 PM

We have to pay minimal fees to a third option accountability association that basically takes our name, our children's names, and that we agree to teach x subjects, x number of days a year, etc. The fees vary depending on the association. My association is, I think, $30 per year.

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Wow u guys have to pay tohomeschool....crazy how different laws are.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Nope no reporting required in my state.

oredeb
by debbie on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:59 PM

welcome bautifulhart!! i live in a homeschool friendly state and yes we have to tell the school district or whatever its called that we are homeschooling, not all states are the same, some easier and some harder!

Ecoseem
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Here in IN we have to keep records of attendance, but last I checked that was it.  I love it here :-)

EDIT to add that I've recently found out that my county is really trying to intimidate homeschoolers more recently, so that should be fun.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:28 AM

I agree with Autymnsmommy that homeschool friendly is a feeling.  I live in a very controlling state, but some people think it is homeschool friendly and others do not.  My political philosophy puts me in the category where I think it is too much oversight, but I have no problems jumping through the hoops and I wouldn't really do anything differently (curriculum- or teaching style-wise) if we had no oversight at all.  Since it's not actually changing anything about the way I teach my kids most of my local friends would say that it is friendly to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)