Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My DH's days off are Tues through Thurs.    He will piddle around and work from home those days some, but otherwise is off.

So, tell the truth...  is your DH helpful when it comes to homeschooling or is he more of a pain in the neck?

Mine drives me batty.   He is the kind of Dad that is a teaser and joker and he interrupts their work CONTINUOUSLY!!!    

He will tease and give them a hard time while they are sitting at the table doing their work.   I have to scold him just like I do the kids when they are disruptive.    

He doesn't take my efforts to keep us on a routine or schedule seriously.    

He doesn't eat what I cook for the kids, but an hour later will grumble about being hungry and want to know what I'm making for the next meal...

Then, on the flip side, he reacts much more harshly than he needs to when the kids mess up.   

His gut response is always, "no!"....

ugh... oh, and my house is ALWAYS in a state of chaos on Fridays because he's been off for three days.   

Sometimes, he just really bugs me... LOL!

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
SusanTheWriter
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm. Then can you take your kids to the library for a couple of hours on his days off? I don't know how active or noisy they are while they're doing school, but a lot of libraries have small study rooms that you can reserve.

Your DH will either love having a couple of hours to himself on his days off, or he will hate it and you'll have to explain that if he's going to keep distracting the kids, then this is the only way to get things done.

Quoting KrissyKC:

This was the original plan, but my kids have neighborhood friends that attend public school.  As soon as the other kids are outside, mine are pretty much finished and want time with their friends.    Sundays we attend church and then have the same issue afterward.

I could MAKE them do school while their friends are outside playing, but it would be useless and futile... LOL!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Can you switch around your week so that your "weekends" are T-Th, and you guys do school on Sat/Sun to make up for it?

My DH is pretty hands-off with the homeschooling unless we have a specific math or science question. But his idea of tutoring is very much "my way or the highway," as opposed to teaching them in a way they'll actually understand. *sigh* It tends to work fine for DD, who thinks like him, but poor DS just shuts down.

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Mine is more helpful with school than he is with other things around the house.  It does however make things easier for my oldest to understand when she is confused.  On the flip side havinng him at home ALL the time is difficult and challanging.  We both work FT from home so our family is together ALL day EVERY day.  I do need a break from a few of them at a time and that almost never happens.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I HATE when hubby is home when we're trying to get school done. He's a major distraction, and usually he's playing video games in the living room, and will starting shouting at the kids if they answered something wrong, or if they start getting the slightest bit snippy because they're frustrated. This of course frustrates them more, and usually ends with our daughter in tears and school is just done for the day. I am SO SO SO SO SO nervous right now because he just medically retired from the army and doesn't have another job lined up, which means he's ALWAYS going to be home.  All the preperation of finding the right curriculum and setting everything up so this year will go smoothly has just been dumped down the toilet in many ways. I wish I could just send him back there so he can annoy his now former unit instead of me lol.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:56 PM

This is a great idea.   Although, I think sending him away sometimes works, too.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Hmmm. Then can you take your kids to the library for a couple of hours on his days off? I don't know how active or noisy they are while they're doing school, but a lot of libraries have small study rooms that you can reserve.

Your DH will either love having a couple of hours to himself on his days off, or he will hate it and you'll have to explain that if he's going to keep distracting the kids, then this is the only way to get things done.

Quoting KrissyKC:

This was the original plan, but my kids have neighborhood friends that attend public school.  As soon as the other kids are outside, mine are pretty much finished and want time with their friends.    Sundays we attend church and then have the same issue afterward.

I could MAKE them do school while their friends are outside playing, but it would be useless and futile... LOL!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Can you switch around your week so that your "weekends" are T-Th, and you guys do school on Sat/Sun to make up for it?

My DH is pretty hands-off with the homeschooling unless we have a specific math or science question. But his idea of tutoring is very much "my way or the highway," as opposed to teaching them in a way they'll actually understand. *sigh* It tends to work fine for DD, who thinks like him, but poor DS just shuts down.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM

OH no, he has a major adjustment to make (which means you do too!)   I'm so sorry.   It's hard on both of you.  I'll pray for you guys.

*sending a hug*

Maybe he will get involved in a project or something... is he even a little bit handy?  Maybe he can work around the house.   At least keep him out of your and the kids' hair for a bit.   Maybe after he's adjusted a bit, he can take over a class or something, too...

Quoting No_Difference:

I HATE when hubby is home when we're trying to get school done. He's a major distraction, and usually he's playing video games in the living room, and will starting shouting at the kids if they answered something wrong, or if they start getting the slightest bit snippy because they're frustrated. This of course frustrates them more, and usually ends with our daughter in tears and school is just done for the day. I am SO SO SO SO SO nervous right now because he just medically retired from the army and doesn't have another job lined up, which means he's ALWAYS going to be home.  All the preperation of finding the right curriculum and setting everything up so this year will go smoothly has just been dumped down the toilet in many ways. I wish I could just send him back there so he can annoy his now former unit instead of me lol.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:22 PM

My husband is similar untill I ask him to help teach, then he is awesome.  He is focused and works with the older girls.  He is way to harsh on my 4 year old son though and he will not work for Daddy.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM
2 moms liked this

My husband works a typical 8-5, in an office, Monday through Friday.

As far as homeschooling goes - he's very supportive, he helps when asked (when we run into something I need help explaining, usually math, science, or religion related), and he plays his role of principal very well ("Do what your mother said!", "Don't disrespect your mother", etc).

He isn't a pain at all really. He's a wonderful man.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:54 PM

We don't do "schoolwork" we unschool so I don't know how that would play out if he was home, but many a night he has come home & helped them with projects they where working on. He has even spent his weekends creating things with them & helping them with their interests. He also helps clean house, do laundry & cook on top of the things that are mostly his stuff like car & computer maintenance & yard work & house repairs.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I'm not sure how mine will be. He works nights, and sleeps usually when he gets home from about 8-2. So if we can get school done while he sleeps then we should be ok...but sometimes he can't sleep. And he has Monday night and Tuesday night off, so we may end up schooling on weekends and taking Tuesday and Wednesday off if he is too distracting. Luckily, (or unluckily depending how you look at it) the Xbox is in our room, and he will be happy to have a few hours to go play that...unless his friends are all at work, lol, then it will only occupy him for an hour or so.

I think he will be ok if I tell him we need to get something done, or if I tell him to go ahead and teach something since he's right here...lol. Honestly, it's all so new to all if us I have absolutely no idea and no crazy expectations of how it's going to be!

I also think he will make a good "principal" reminding the kids to listen and be respectful and that if they can't learn from me then we will have to do something different since they really need to learn. (MIL heard me say this to DD and now says I "threaten DD with ps" lol, it wasn't a threat, but we have no other option...so she can be careful with her attitude and at least try to work with me, or she will end up back in ps).
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I can't make my son do anything when he's around. That's why I made sure he's done with work before he comes home so they'll have a quality time. He helps with Science projects and to catch bugs for Nature study lol...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN