Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My DH's days off are Tues through Thurs.    He will piddle around and work from home those days some, but otherwise is off.

So, tell the truth...  is your DH helpful when it comes to homeschooling or is he more of a pain in the neck?

Mine drives me batty.   He is the kind of Dad that is a teaser and joker and he interrupts their work CONTINUOUSLY!!!    

He will tease and give them a hard time while they are sitting at the table doing their work.   I have to scold him just like I do the kids when they are disruptive.    

He doesn't take my efforts to keep us on a routine or schedule seriously.    

He doesn't eat what I cook for the kids, but an hour later will grumble about being hungry and want to know what I'm making for the next meal...

Then, on the flip side, he reacts much more harshly than he needs to when the kids mess up.   

His gut response is always, "no!"....

ugh... oh, and my house is ALWAYS in a state of chaos on Fridays because he's been off for three days.   

Sometimes, he just really bugs me... LOL!

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Replies (21-30):
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM

My husband often works from home.  He's very supportive of homeschooling, and will help if I ask or if he sees one of the kids struggling.  I'm very blessed in that regard!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Thank you. 
He is currently looking for jobs, but who knows when he'll actually take one, and he has I swear 5 back up plans for if things "go wrong"...though I'm not sure what that means....
As far as his handiness level goes...He is not under the ideaology of do it right or don't do it at all, but under, All or nothing and as cheap and easy as possible, even if it looks like crap. He's been banned from doing stuff around the house that involves "handiness" lol. His version of teaching the kids involves blowing things up, even if it doesn't relate to the subject we're working on... I tried letting him do science last year a bit when he had a month leave time, and our daughter has absolutely no idea what she learned during any of those lessons, other than how to make Mommy terrified and irritated all at the same time.
But yes, a very big adjustment will be made. And if he thinks for one minute he can go and around the house and do whatever he wants whenever he wants, he's got another thing coming LOL. It drives me batty when its noon and he's still sleeping because he stayed up til 4 am playing video games, and then comes in the kitchen and makes a gigantic mess and expects everything in the house to revolve around "his time".  Come Monday (when we start school) this house runs on MY time lol...well the kids time...I'm not waking them up, but starting as they get up. I don't particularly like working with tired cranky kids.

Quoting KrissyKC:

OH no, he has a major adjustment to make (which means you do too!)   I'm so sorry.   It's hard on both of you.  I'll pray for you guys.

*sending a hug*

Maybe he will get involved in a project or something... is he even a little bit handy?  Maybe he can work around the house.   At least keep him out of your and the kids' hair for a bit.   Maybe after he's adjusted a bit, he can take over a class or something, too...

Quoting No_Difference:

I HATE when hubby is home when we're trying to get school done. He's a major distraction, and usually he's playing video games in the living room, and will starting shouting at the kids if they answered something wrong, or if they start getting the slightest bit snippy because they're frustrated. This of course frustrates them more, and usually ends with our daughter in tears and school is just done for the day. I am SO SO SO SO SO nervous right now because he just medically retired from the army and doesn't have another job lined up, which means he's ALWAYS going to be home.  All the preperation of finding the right curriculum and setting everything up so this year will go smoothly has just been dumped down the toilet in many ways. I wish I could just send him back there so he can annoy his now former unit instead of me lol.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM
My husband is great. I work 40-55 hours a week and my husband stays home with my dd. she started kinder this year and he teaches her everything that needs to be done that day (including violin practice). I alter the lesson plan for him and usually gather the books for the day together for him to make it easier. I teach on my day(s) off. I work 4, 10 hour shifts, so I have a weekday off during the week.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, hubby is an awesome teacher besides being an awesome hubby. He helps the kids get interested in their lessons. He gives new lessons, he helps teach cooking and baking. He helps the kids get motivated when my motivational skills aren't doing the job. lol.
There are days he works as much as 12-14 hours a day 6-7 days a week and then there are some days he works about 8 hours a day with a day or two off. But those days are not as often as I would like.
If I had my way, I would have him around ALL the time. Yes, I do mean that. :)
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Even though mine does drive me bonkers and I have all my complaints about things...  I still 100% agree with this line.   I truly love my DH and having him around is amazing.

I just wish he'd stop feeling like teasing and joking with the kids round the clock (he HAS to be the funny man!)  and I wish he'd learn not to respond in such a verbally negative way over the small things.

But I'd never wish him gone all the time again.   I love him so much that I enjoy those crazy days WITH him a whole bunch more than days without him.

Quoting kirbymom:

Well, hubby is an awesome teacher besides being an awesome hubby. He helps the kids get interested in their lessons. He gives new lessons, he helps teach cooking and baking. He helps the kids get motivated when my motivational skills aren't doing the job. lol.
There are days he works as much as 12-14 hours a day 6-7 days a week and then there are some days he works about 8 hours a day with a day or two off. But those days are not as often as I would like.
If I had my way, I would have him around ALL the time. Yes, I do mean that. :)

1CynfulDlite
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Ha my husband told me, YOU WILL HOMESCHOOL then of course he's finishing up his final year of law school and working part time so I get no help with anything but boy is he good at making a mess.  Love my kids but not interested in fighting with my DS to get him to do Kinder work he's already ahead on.  Can't afford to send him to a Montissouri/Charter/Perochial school.  Right now I'm trying not to lose my mind with all of this going on.  Also in a situation where if I have an emergency with one child my husband is incommunicado so I have to have both kids with me for EVERY THING including my own Dr. appts.

Asking my husband to get involved with anything having to do with the kids is like asking him to pull his own teeth with no anesthetic... It's sad really.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh. I hope you didn't/don't feel that I am implying otherwise for you or anyone else but if I did, I sincerely apologize. :(
My hubby likes to tease and joke a lot as well. It used to bother me and frustrate me into oblivion! Then one day, I realized that the kids were tying in school work with all the stories and jokes that were happening on those days daddy left later or had a day off. I mean they were remembering school lessons that I despaired them ever remembering and were tying them into some family stories/jokes that their dad loves to tell when he is home. I was in amazement and completely excited all rolled together. So, I decided that I wouldn't begrudge the kids and their dad the "fun" that created when he was home. I looked at it from this perspective.... The kids were building everlasting memories that the kids would carry with them forever and give them great memories from their childhood to look back on. I think that is as important as anything else our kids need to learn. Kwim?

Quoting KrissyKC:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:38 PM

My hubby works 12-15 hours a day M-F and sometimes on Saturday as well.  But he's off a lot in the winter.  He can be great when he's home OR he can be grumpy, tired, and want everyone to be silent as little Church-mice.  I'll tell ya, 3 boys under 10 cannot possible be quiet like Church-mice for an entire day....ever!

He is a great teacher when he's in a good mood though.  He teaches them electricity (I hate electricity!) and woodshop/metal shop.  He is willing to teach all kinds of math and science, but I try to teach it all since it was really my desicion to homeschool.

MonkeyPeanut79
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:01 PM

My husband is usually pretty good about school but my uncle lived with us for a year and he did a lot of the same things that your husband does. It drove me batty!! But, I'm a wimp and didn't say anything and just gritted my teeth and got my son back on track.

My husband usually takes the baby if he is home so I don't have to worry about him during school and he gets baby time. He also has helped a few times this week with our preschooler. Like today the preschooler had a project with a lot of cutting and gluing and he was getting frustrated because he doesn't have the greatest scissor skills yet and kept wanting my help. I was in the middle of trying to give my oldest a spelling quiz and so my husband took over and helped with the project.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Not at all, I did not feel like you were implying anything... your line (the one I made orange above) just really jumped out and grabbed my heart.   :)   It's all good!!! LOL!

And for the moms who've mentioned Dad's that work long hours...  I remember those days, too, and I'm sure it's not the end... we are just in a good cycle where he's home more and I have the opportunity to be driven batty by him!!! LOL!

Quoting kirbymom:

Oh. I hope you didn't/don't feel that I am implying otherwise for you or anyone else but if I did, I sincerely apologize. :(
My hubby likes to tease and joke a lot as well. It used to bother me and frustrate me into oblivion! Then one day, I realized that the kids were tying in school work with all the stories and jokes that were happening on those days daddy left later or had a day off. I mean they were remembering school lessons that I despaired them ever remembering and were tying them into some family stories/jokes that their dad loves to tell when he is home. I was in amazement and completely excited all rolled together. So, I decided that I wouldn't begrudge the kids and their dad the "fun" that created when he was home. I looked at it from this perspective.... The kids were building everlasting memories that the kids would carry with them forever and give them great memories from their childhood to look back on. I think that is as important as anything else our kids need to learn. Kwim?

Quoting KrissyKC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)