Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My DH's days off are Tues through Thurs.    He will piddle around and work from home those days some, but otherwise is off.

So, tell the truth...  is your DH helpful when it comes to homeschooling or is he more of a pain in the neck?

Mine drives me batty.   He is the kind of Dad that is a teaser and joker and he interrupts their work CONTINUOUSLY!!!    

He will tease and give them a hard time while they are sitting at the table doing their work.   I have to scold him just like I do the kids when they are disruptive.    

He doesn't take my efforts to keep us on a routine or schedule seriously.    

He doesn't eat what I cook for the kids, but an hour later will grumble about being hungry and want to know what I'm making for the next meal...

Then, on the flip side, he reacts much more harshly than he needs to when the kids mess up.   

His gut response is always, "no!"....

ugh... oh, and my house is ALWAYS in a state of chaos on Fridays because he's been off for three days.   

Sometimes, he just really bugs me... LOL!

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Replies (31-35):
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM

My husband is teaching Air Force basic training which means he works 14-16 hour days at 6 days a week. He is hardly ever home but when he is he throws the whole atmosphere off. My son is only 3.5 but even just trying to get him to take a nap when daddy is home is impossible. He never gives me a hard time like he does when daddy is home. Plus daddy is completely clueless as to what we do around here. He doesn't even know what to feed ds much less what he is allowed to do or what  our daily schedule looks like. My son of course worships him like Santa Claus or Mickey Mouse because he's hardly home and only does the fun stuff like playing with toys and computer games and never diapers, potty training, time outs, or baths. It makes me crazy but I am hoping as son gets older it gets better(though I have doubts). It makes it REALLY hard to get our preschool routine going but I am trying in the hopes that when "real school" starts for Kindergarten things will be under control.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM
DH has so little time off that we don't have a whole lot of school when he is home. We do much less sophisticated lessons than you do, anyway, I'm sure; LO is four. DH cleans a lot when he is here, and takes care of the stuff I can't, like washing the outsides of the windows, bathing the dogs, and reaching the tall stuff ;0). We also like to cook together, so LO will take a stool in the kitchen and we give him a mixing or washing task, while DH and I make a meal. I've observed that DH is a natural teacher when it comes to practical skills like cooking, measuring, repairing, cleaning, home maintenance, and even hygiene. (I'm relieved DH learned to clean in the Corps, because it has become quite clear over the years that MIL didn't teach him those habits!)

One of my mother's ex-husbands would pick at us a lot as my brother and I tried to do homework or chores. Honestly, I daily wanted to thump his eyeballs and physically kick his ass right out of my mother's house. But he wasn't my father. I might have indulged him more had he not been Mr. Rightnow LOL. That said, it is rude to interrupt ANYONE'S work with clowning and shenanigans, and your husband is disrespecting the school space by purposely disrupting it. It is as if he is saying his silliness is more important than their work and your work. You might make him see that and come to some sort of agreement on how you both can handle HIS feelings of insecurity that guide him to demand attention from children in such a fashion. I would hand DH a mop and bucket or shove the grocery list in his face if he pulled that crap with me, or he would get a face full of hollering and some hurt feelings to soothe. Either way, he wouldn't be under our skin during school time anymore.
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
My husband is supportive. We both homeschooled growing up, so he is respectful of our time spent schooling.
He is not really hands on with school unless I ask. But he will randomly announce Art class or a science experiment when he wants to. He did a science windmill eexperiment this morning..and art with them the other night.
He is my back up when the kids are really out of hand, and he will help if I just flat out can't seem to explain a concept to one of the kids. Even though he says the exact same thing I do. Guess it just helps to come from another person.
On the flip side though, he is not great with 'crowd control' and can get stressed if we are out and about. Lol He gets this look of panic in his eyes when he has all three of them and they start acting up. He he I kind of get a kick out of it. ;)
He can get them all rilled up when I need them to be calm, and teaches them the things I would rather they not know(such as farts are funny. Ugh)
But all in all I'll keep him. He is my rock. On the days that I'm ready to quit he reminds me of why we do what we do.

As for your husbands work schedule. When my husband worked weekends (for 8 years)I messed around with doing school on the weekend and making his days off our days off. It worked. But, if your kids are older and you do a lot of weekend sports..it my not go as smoothly. :)
good luck!
Momof697
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:02 PM

My Dh owns his own business and the kids help out so we schedule hs around that (one of the joys of hs'ing)  My Dh is grouchy most of the time. But my Dh will eat whatever I fix he will tell me if he liked it or not but he will eat it.

WizardOfAhs
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:44 PM
My DH can be very distracting too, but I have since learned to roll with it. I want my kids to like homeschooling, and when we decided to do this, relaxation and spontaneity were my biggest selling points to the kids, lol. Plus I have realized that even though he doesn't pick up a book, DH is always willing to explain things to the kids and gets them motivated to learn things I couldn't get them interested in. That right there makes it all worth while when he comes home for lunch and disrupts the day a little =)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN