Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

found this on another homeschool site and a couple of other places, anyone else seen it? what do you think???

"a lady was contacted by the cps, they told her because of obamacare that she had to get her kids shots updated, and they also told her they had a list of homeschoolers in the united states and have a right to go into their homes if they dont get shots.

another lady called their local clinc and they said it wasnt true yet."

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Replies (21-30):
PinkButterfly66
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM

NC teen who threatened FSU, 12 other universities released

January 11, 2011

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) — A North Carolina teen said he is ready to move on with his life after he was released from nearly two years in federal custody for making prank bomb threats to Florida State University and other universities, as well as FBI offices.

A federal judge on Monday sentenced Ashton Lundeby, 18, of Oxford, N.C., to time served after he pleaded guilty in October to conspiracy to use false information to threaten others.

U.S. District Judge Robert L. Miller Jr. also placed Lundeby on three years of probation and ordered him to pay more than $29,000 in restitution to various schools and law enforcement agencies. He could have faced up to four years in prison.

The South Bend Tribune reports Lundeby, who was part of an online group called "Partyvanpranks," used a computer to phone fake bomb threats and then charged fees to others to listen live as police and others reacted.

Lundeby admitted involvement in 13 calls to universities including Purdue, North Carolina, Clemson, Florida State and Boston College, as well as FBI offices in Louisiana and Colorado.

Miller said while the pranks had cost the schools money, Lundeby's guilty plea had spared the government the expense of a trial and he had helped investigators identify other pranksters.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Kenneth Hays said prosecutors hope the nearly two years the 18-year-old served will deter others.

"Law enforcement's demonstrated ability to pierce the technological veil in this case, it is hoped, will become known in the pranking community," Hays wrote in a sentencing memorandum.

Lundeby, accompanied by his mother and younger sister, walked out of the federal courthouse in South Bend carrying a box of belongings after Monday's hearing. He told the Tribune it felt "pretty amazing" to be free again.

"I'm definitely not getting into any more trouble," he said. "I have a lot of things I want to do with my life. I regret everything I did. If I could change anything, I would. But everyone makes mistakes. At 16, I made a pretty big one."

"I have an education that I need to get," he added. "I have a life to move on to."

His mother, Annette Lundeby, maintains that her son made some calls, but not all of them, and said she "begged" him to take the case to trial.

Lundeby said he decided to plead guilty after his Merrillville, Ind., attorney, Nick Thiros, died of cancer. Hiring a new lawyer would have delayed the trial for months, Lundeby said.

Quoting romacox:

You make an important point.celticdragon77, both parties are guilty of laws that harm families. No child left behind under Bush, and Common Core under Obama. 

A 16 year old was harmed by the Patriot Act. It has been reported that the law was not intended for this purpose, but nonetheless it happens. Over the years I have seen many laws  cause harm to families, simply because one size does not fit all. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM

What concerns me most is not the outcome, but that anyone would be arrested unconstitutionally without a warrant. 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

NC teen who threatened FSU, 12 other universities released

January 11, 2011

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) — A North Carolina teen said he is ready to move on with his life after he was released from nearly two years in federal custody for making prank bomb threats to Florida State University and other universities, as well as FBI offices.

A federal judge on Monday sentenced Ashton Lundeby, 18, of Oxford, N.C., to time served after he pleaded guilty in October to conspiracy to use false information to threaten others.

U.S. District Judge Robert L. Miller Jr. also placed Lundeby on three years of probation and ordered him to pay more than $29,000 in restitution to various schools and law enforcement agencies. He could have faced up to four years in prison.

The South Bend Tribune reports Lundeby, who was part of an online group called "Partyvanpranks," used a computer to phone fake bomb threats and then charged fees to others to listen live as police and others reacted.

Lundeby admitted involvement in 13 calls to universities including Purdue, North Carolina, Clemson, Florida State and Boston College, as well as FBI offices in Louisiana and Colorado.

Miller said while the pranks had cost the schools money, Lundeby's guilty plea had spared the government the expense of a trial and he had helped investigators identify other pranksters.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Kenneth Hays said prosecutors hope the nearly two years the 18-year-old served will deter others.

"Law enforcement's demonstrated ability to pierce the technological veil in this case, it is hoped, will become known in the pranking community," Hays wrote in a sentencing memorandum.

Lundeby, accompanied by his mother and younger sister, walked out of the federal courthouse in South Bend carrying a box of belongings after Monday's hearing. He told the Tribune it felt "pretty amazing" to be free again.

"I'm definitely not getting into any more trouble," he said. "I have a lot of things I want to do with my life. I regret everything I did. If I could change anything, I would. But everyone makes mistakes. At 16, I made a pretty big one."

"I have an education that I need to get," he added. "I have a life to move on to."

His mother, Annette Lundeby, maintains that her son made some calls, but not all of them, and said she "begged" him to take the case to trial.

Lundeby said he decided to plead guilty after his Merrillville, Ind., attorney, Nick Thiros, died of cancer. Hiring a new lawyer would have delayed the trial for months, Lundeby said.

Quoting romacox:

You make an important point.celticdragon77, both parties are guilty of laws that harm families. No child left behind under Bush, and Common Core under Obama. 

A 16 year old was harmed by the Patriot Act. It has been reported that the law was not intended for this purpose, but nonetheless it happens. Over the years I have seen many laws  cause harm to families, simply because one size does not fit all. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Update:   I contacted Ben Swann about  the article by PolitiFact  stating that this  program was voluntary.  I wondered if Ben had made a mistake on this one.  Here is his response.:: 

"Some questions about the story we ran earlier today about "Obama-care Provision (Also known as The Afforidable Health Care Act)   “FORCED” HOME INSPECTIONS"... with some readers pointing out that the program is "voluntary" as HHS claims. I talked with our writer and here is his response to that:

"Kent Brown is a respected constitutional attorney and Rep Quinn is a well known Republican in SC. Plus I talked to Bill Chumley Monday about this and he confirmed. I believe their research more than what a HHS website says."

Constitutional attorney and author Kent Masterson Brown states,
“This is not a “voluntary” program. The eligible entity receiving the grant for performing the home visits is to identify the individuals to be visited and intervene so as to meet the improvement benchmarks."

In the article he writes:  "A manual called, Child Neglect: A Guide For Prevention, Assessment And Intervention)  includes firearms as potential hazard., and will require inspectors to verify safety compliance, and record each inspection into a database.    (links are given in the article so that you can verify it for yourself) 

Read the article with links here.   

P.S. One of the things I have always liked about Ben Swann is that he does not favor one party over the other.

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:58 AM

I have been reading the manual "Child Neglect: A Guide For Prevention, Assessment And Interventions."  I have made it as far as page 14, and it becomes most revealing around pages 13 and 14.  It talks about "what may be considered abuse, and may require intervention"  It names several things (like guns and smoking), but two things really caught my attention:

1, If a child wears cloths too small or too large

2.  If a child  has a learning disability, and the parent does not have them enrolled and attending the appropriate assistance program for that learning disability.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:30 AM
2 moms liked this

That first one is very bothersome to me.  My DS(6) has some clothing that he adores, I passed it down the line to my DS(4), but DS(6) continually pulls it our of his brother's drawers to wear it.  SMH, so I must be neglectful. 

Quoting romacox:

I have been reading the manual "Child Neglect: A Guide For Prevention, Assessment And Interventions."  I have made it as far as page 14, and it becomes most revealing around pages 13 and 14.  It talks about "what may be considered abuse, and may require intervention"  It names several things (like guns and smoking), but two things really caught my attention:

2.  If a child  has a learning disability, and the parent does not have them enrolled and attending the appropriate assistance program for that learning disability.  

oredeb
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:11 AM

guns smoking? geeeee

1 and 2 thats scary, anyone could get charged for abuse

what else does the book say roma?

Quoting romacox:

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Ordeb, there is a lot in here.  But apparently when a hospital,  teacher, law officer, health care provider, faith based organizations, substitute care providers, ext.... inters something into the "database", keywords can trigger an "assessment", and  "intervention".   Those entering the information may not even be aware of the possibilities.  "CPS is the agency mandated by law to conduct an initial investigation or assessment  of reports of child neglect or abuse"

An "unsafe neighborhood", "inadequate nurturing or attention",  can trigger an intervention.  Some of the stuff is  legitimate abuse.  But some is pretty broad sweeping.

If the mentioned organizations do not report possible neglect or abuse. They are subjecting themselves to possible criminal and civil liabilities. (See "Mandatory Reports" at the bottom of page 16)
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting romacox:

Ordeb, there is a lot in here.  But apparently when a hospital,  teacher, law officer, health care provider, faith based organizations, substitute care providers, ext.... inters something into the "database", keywords can trigger an "assessment", and  "intervention".   Those entering the information may not even be aware of the possibilities.  "CPS is the agency mandated by law to conduct an initial investigation or assessment  of reports of child neglect or abuse"

An "unsafe neighborhood", "inadequate nurturing or attention",  can trigger an intervention.  Some of the stuff is  legitimate abuse.  But some is pretty broad sweeping.

If the mentioned organizations do not report possible neglect or abuse. They are subjecting themselves to possible criminal and civil liabilities. (See "Mandatory Reports" at the bottom of page 16)

All of the above could be looked at as conspiracy theory rhetoric BUT, it has been my personal experience to be subjected to any one of those at any one time throughout my adult parental life.

All public officials in ANY capacity have been told they MUST report ANYthing that could be construed as a POSSIBLE crime or civil liability. Or Face charges themselves.

I can not begin to tell you how many people have told me they had no choice or else face those same charges and consequences.
And all of this is being done in the name of child safety by the "beloved" government who only ever had our BEST interests at heart. You know what my response to such a state not? BUCHIT!
oredeb
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

wow you cant win anyway, anyone could be turned in, for anything.

Quoting romacox:

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

We are currently helping a firmly that has been through three months of HeXX because of Family services.  The elderly couple lived in Georgia, and they received a call that their 23 year old single daughter, living in another state , was very ill, and they needed to help her. 

They arrived to find their daughter very ill, and rushed her to the emergency room.  She died at the hospital from a sodium deficiency leaving three very small children.  The Grandparents, who only receive social security,  went to Family Services expecting help.  But instead FS wanted to take the kids away from them, because they did not have custody papers.  They could have helped the family receive temporary custody, but I do not know if it meant more revenue for FS, or if they just happened on a nut case in the system. The grandparents could not leave the State, or even seek help from a homeless shelter without custody papers.  

They had only enough money to stay in a motel for 2 weeks out of the month.  The rest of the time they lived in their car moving from County to County to keep FS from taking the kids.  The children had just lost their mom, and FS wanted to take them away from their grandparents

Their car broke down in a parking lot.  A near by business owner noticed they had been there for 3 days.  So he went out to help.  When he heard their story,  he contacted a bunch of us, and we all pitched in to provide food, shelter and clothing.  A custody attorney worked for them Pro Bono.  They had their hearing before  a judge the other day.  After the  judge looked at all the facts, he said he saw no reason for the grandparents not to receive custody, and he apologized for the way the system had treated them for the past 3 months.  He commended the grandparents for staying with the kids, and said that, under the circumstances, many would have given up, and placed the kids with HRS.  He was glad they stuck by the children.  The law requires that they give 21 days more to allow the father to contest.  The father has stated he does not want his children.  So for 21 days we have to find the means to provide shelter, food and clothing.  After that FS should be willing to help. So sometimes the system can do more harm than good unless people step in to stop such injustices. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)