Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you make 8th grade fun?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM
  • 3 Replies
1 mom liked this

Well? Lol

I homeschooled when she was in 4th, but I had to put my kids back in public school due to circumstances beyond my control. Last year, while she was in 7th grade, she decided that she wanted to be homeschooled again. I was obviously overjoyed; I didn't have the time though. She ended up doing cyber school, but not well. We decided that I would teach her this year. I want her to love learning but I don't know how to make work enjoyable.

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
oredeb
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:05 PM
2 moms liked this

welll we do lots of experiments, games, my 8th graders(3 of them) loved going on nature walks for part of our science, we watched movies of history and science, did powerpoints, taped books, made small movies, did some of our workbook stuff outloud(english), math on the board, field trips, baseball, we do unit studies on things the kids want to learn about

craftyzenmom
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I have two 8th graders and we do a lot of unit studies too...mostly built around around a novel that branches out in every which way. My boys are super science geeks so I let them go as wild as they want with the documentaries, biographies, experiments and such. We have this great book "62 Things to Make with a Dead Computer", so they are always hitting people up for their dead computer stuff to make things. I also give them a lot of time on the computer to do work in math and programming. One of them is looking at colleges that will take BASIC or one of the others as his foreign language. When we  started 5 years ago, the very first thing I did was a learning style assessment on each of the kids. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't hitting my head against the wall and driving them crazy at the same time, I think that really paid off. Good luck and have fun!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Well, you can start out with history and tie in math and science with science projects. You also get to tie in spelling and reading. That ties in English for the structured sentences. You can also use cooking for the history. Math is used and reading is used. Find a timeline and work from that vantage point. What us something that your daughter likes? Could you find it in the timeline of history and make a learning session out of it? Have plays from your favorite parts of history.

There are several things you can do. Do you know how your daughter likes to learn? Is she hands on, or does she learn visually? Does she learn by reading? Or, maybe a combination?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN