Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Favorite handwriting for pre-k?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 7 Replies

Assuming you do handwriting in pre-k, what is your favorite?

Pretend that you have a little boy who HATES to get his hands messy - so take off the table tracing letters in shaving cream, finger paints, etc. Lol.

He does love the white board, and we use that pretty religiously, but I'd like to start moving onto paper.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM

My youngest really likes Handwriting Without Tears. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I keep hearing about that one. Is it non-messy? Lol.

The site confuses me a bit - is there a package on there to buy everything one needs (or what do you recommend buying)?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I never cracked the teacher's manual and the boys didn't really care to play with the blocks so I sold them.  We just bought the Letters and Numbers for Me Kindergarten, the Slate chalkboard, and one pack of the Wide, Double lined paper.  All three of my boys did not finish an entire pack of the paper before they were moving on to the Narrow in "real" kindergarten or in 1st grade.  I just bought from amazon where I got it pretty cheap.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I keep hearing about that one. Is it non-messy? Lol.

The site confuses me a bit - is there a package on there to buy everything one needs (or what do you recommend buying)?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Oh yeah, sorry I forgot to answer.  It is not messy.  Unless yours doesn't like chalk dust.

I did not do the roll-a-dough letters.  It was all using a pencil in the book or using the chalk slate when we needed extra practice at where you start the letter.

oredeb
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM

i made my own up using startwrites free trial, made enough to last a long time, and its not messy!!! i teach a young man like that now, hes made it to 12!!

http://www.startwrite.com/

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM

You could fill a ziploc bag with paint (double bag) and let him draw the letters on the outside of it. Fun but no mess.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:51 PM

But it's squishy *eyeroll*

This is the same kid that, when I was cutting his hair today, was hysterical, sobbing, and claiming that I was "huuuurting" him and "cuuuting" him. Lol!

Quoting mem82:

You could fill a ziploc bag with paint (double bag) and let him draw the letters on the outside of it. Fun but no mess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN