Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

To broke to buy anything for homeschooling? What would you use?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM
  • 42 Replies

ive had a few people ask me this question recently, no money to buy anything. all ages of kids, k-11th grade

so how would you go about homeschooling?

sites? ideas?

by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM
6 moms liked this
First I would take a much closer look at my finances. Weigh the needs vs wants and be realistic. A lot of families make big sacrifices to make homeschooling work. Some things that people considered 'needs' are actually 'wants'. Most families I talk to could cut their budget by $100-200 a month with very little effort. They just do not realize it. :)
I know quite a few families who home school basically for free. They use the library, free sites, free printable etc,.
It can be done, but requires a lot more leg work.
RADmomma
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM
5 moms liked this
Pinterest.
Free printables
Library resources.
Free field trips
A lot more sneaking school time into everyday things...
Planning out lessons around local events
Netflix
tairakittie
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM
5 moms liked this

We do a lot of printed worksheets, and I draw some up by hand sometimes. Something as simple as having my daughter write her friend a letter on lined paper counts as "schooling", that only cost me the materials I already had. I get a lot of my supplies and posters from the dollar store, or on sale. There are lots of places that have free or cheap used materials where I live. We use recycled products for projects, like plastic bottles and toilet paper rolls. The library is a great resource for books. We have a white board with markers my kids do whatever they want with, write or draw things, or read what I have wrote on the board, its all learning and free. We use things from nature a lot, and spend time outside. You can do math problems in the sand for free, we used acorns once and put them all back on the ground when we were done. ;) I guess it really depends on the age of the child(ren) being taught, but there are lots of ways to teach for free or on a budget!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I really would NEED my curriculum and would really make my kids' educational needs a priority.    

Otherwise, everything already suggested (netflix, library, local events, field trips, etc..)  there are a ton of free printables and such online as well as online games.   It just takes looking.

1kidmomajm
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM

There must be some kind of home schooling courses online. Do you have enough computers? I know in MD (maybe just my county?)  there is now home schoooling on line that follows the public curriculum. You basically get some private video tutoring too and its all free because its through the public curriculum.  See if you can find some home schooling groups in your community that can help. My neighbors took their kids to someones house twice a week for math and a parent taught about 10 kids.

oredeb
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM

a couple of the families have comp. , good ideas 1kid!!

Quoting 1kidmomajm:

There must be some kind of home schooling courses online. Do you have enough computers? I know in MD (maybe just my county?)  there is now home schoooling on line that follows the public curriculum. You basically get some private video tutoring too and its all free because its through the public curriculum.  See if you can find some home schooling groups in your community that can help. My neighbors took their kids to someones house twice a week for math and a parent taught about 10 kids.

BlessedMoments
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM
There are a lot of curriculum websites that are free. It is a lot of printing so you'll constantly have to buy paper & ink. A few sites that I've used and live are: abcjesuslovesme.com, confessionsofahomeschooler.com, allinonehomeschool.com, 1plus1plus1equals1.com... They are wonderful!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM
2 moms liked this
I am one who will write it up on paper myself. We use ALOT of paper and pencils and erasers most. I will go look it up either in a book or online and familiarize myself with the subject I am wanting to utilize. I will then write my own lessons in my own words and write my own answer sheets. Takes time, but for me, it was and now is, the only way I do their lessons. We also get free, used books that the kids will use for themselves. If it isn't dirt cheap, then I don't get it. Mainly now because I know that I can do the lessons myself because I know that I am capable of doing school this way and it used to be because we couldn't afford to do it any other way and I HAD to learn how to be creative in finding ways to teach the kids. It CAN be done without buying those curriculums.
Kat0038
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM
2 moms liked this

I have been have the same issues and use the library, internet, school house teacher, and we been doing lots and lots of lapbooks.  It really is amazing how much fun and learning can be had with a good book and a lapbook. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)