Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

First Grade

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 28 Replies

Anyone homeschooling First Grade this year?

What are you using?

Do you have a set curriculum?

by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RADmomma
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I'm doing a loose first grade with my 6 year old.

I'm not done with my lesson plans or curriculum yet.

I'm currently in Maine where we aren't required to do anything until she is 7 but we are moving next month where ill have to show her curriculum & register her.... So now I'm reworking everything!
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Not currently, but the only actual "curriculum" I usually buy for first grade is a good phonics program.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM

oh, and sometimes a handwriting curriculum... sorry. forgot that.   Everything else is practice workbooks, reading, hands on learning going along with the older kids, and a good math and calendar board and notebook.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:01 PM

So with my first grader, we go to the library every week.  He picks things he wants to read, I pick things for him that should help his reading (on his level--my library has an awesome leveled section, and while it's not huge, he shouldn't have to stay at any one level for long) as well as some books that will stretch where he is now but are fairly doable.  Math we do Life of Fred and I picked up some manipulatives.  I need to do time and money with him, and push him hard on his addition and division facts.  He has them down, he just doesn't like to share that information with me.  He keeps his smarts to himself.  :)  We're doing interest units this year, so his first unit is on robots.  SOOOO excited.  He's gonna be sooooo bummed when he learns that we don't have enough money to make a real Iron Man suit!

oredeb
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:16 PM

no set curr, each child learned with diffent things and ways

for phonics/ using 'all about reading'

for math- lots of manipulatives, and a workbook weve had for a while from rod and staff 1st grade also cooking, bit of sewing, hands on stuff, games

history- talking about our families, what makes family, where we live, maps, history of our area we live in

science- we are doing insects for a while, so the garden, Learningpages.com has some neat stuff, murals for the kids, this will take us a while

bible- stories from bible, creation, answers in genesis site, library stuff

nature studies will go along with the insects, taking walks with our drawing pads and pencils,

reading- i will be reading to them from various books from library, poetry, christian libertys nature series books, mcguffy has some neat ones also,

will be doing a bit of handwriting also, i make the copybooks up, air writing, stick writing, finger writing, hammering

art- lots of stuff there!

music- learning songs, dancing, piano,

thats about it for our first grade

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Not yet, but I have my eye on Memoria Press' first grade curriculum... or Kolbe Academy.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM
I'm a little tough to follow. I write out all of our school lessons. By that I mean I write out all the math problems, I write out all the English sentences and spelling and learn about different parts and how to diagram and as much if that as I can write out, I write out their science lessons and they pick out their projects to go with it, I write out the history lessons and I write out the extra curricular lessons like poetry. This is the basics of our school work. We do a lot of fact checking and reporting and do the pros and cons of any and all opinions. We have theology class and consumer economics class.
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:17 PM

where are you moving to if you dont mind sharing :)

will you then get a boxed curriculum or still go with the loose one you are putting together?

will you need to show them stuff from K?

Quoting RADmomma:

I'm doing a loose first grade with my 6 year old.

I'm not done with my lesson plans or curriculum yet.

I'm currently in Maine where we aren't required to do anything until she is 7 but we are moving next month where ill have to show her curriculum & register her.... So now I'm reworking everything!

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM

i hear ya...i believe a strong foundation in reading really does open up and make learning everything else easier

Quoting KrissyKC:

Not currently, but the only actual "curriculum" I usually buy for first grade is a good phonics program.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM

what will you use for math then?

Quoting KrissyKC:

oh, and sometimes a handwriting curriculum... sorry. forgot that.   Everything else is practice workbooks, reading, hands on learning going along with the older kids, and a good math and calendar board and notebook.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)