Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Have any of you had a visit from cps?

Posted by   + Show Post

If so, what went down?  I'm curious because of a warning recently sent out to those in my area homeschool group, that several families in our county were being investigated about supposed educational neglect due to homeschooling.  It's all got me a bit nervous, so I'm wondering how this stuff usually works out.  I've been through the system as an adolescent, so I know first hand the lying, sneaky, sometimes evil tactics used by workers.

by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 24, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you.  Turns out the 3 year old is a wanderer.  She has disappeared from a fenced backyard as well as a locked house.  (Thru a small opening between the fence and the house and then through a doggy door).  She fell asleep on the school bus once and caused a mild panic when she didn't come home and then another time decided it was a good idea to go home with her friends instead of with her brother and climbed into their car with them. (Thankfully the mom brought her back to the office).  She's 10 now and has calmed down her wandering ways :)

Quoting kirbymom:

Oh wow! My heart goes out to you! That would be very scary indeed. I am so glad that nothing came of that but even more than that, I am glad that your daughters were not hurt or taken from you.

Quoting Pukalani79:

Yes, but not for that.  It's kind of amusing now, but terrifying at the same time.  In 2007, my kids were 5, 3 and 2.  We were living just outside of Memphis, and were getting ready to move back to Oregon.  My husband was in school, my kids were lying down in my bedroom watching tv and I was in another room packing.  I had checked on the kids about 10 min previous, was packing and had gone into my room to get something.  That's when I noticed the girls were gone.  My son and I tore that apartment apart looking for them. They were gone.  I'm panicked at this point, running down the stairs, searching the back yard area, the parking lot, etc.  I asked my neighbor if she'd seen anything and if she'd help me.  Probably another 5-10 min went by, we're screaming their names, running all over the place and a guy calls and asks if we were looking for two little girls, that he knew where they were.  Turns out the girls (3 and 2) had gotten out of apartment, down the stairs (I didn't even know the little one could do that) across the back yard area, across a small creek to the church behind the apartment complex where there was a playground.  They were very happily playing, oblivious to everything.  The guy at the church had found them, and called the police who were there when I arrived.  The 3 year old was naked (potty training) and the 2 year old in nothing but a diaper (it was May and hot already).  I don't think I have ever cried so hard after finding those two!! The officer was very understanding, he called me twice during that day and then CPS showed up within a week or two. They were very stern at first, but as I cried and told them the story, they became very friendly.  They interviewed me and then they talked to the kids.  When they left they told me that they were not worried about it.  Of course I have a record now, but they were very nice.

This past Spring I had to turn my sister into CPS for emotional and physical neglect. (long, heartbreaking story) They interviewed us, then they went and interviewed my sister and her husband and the kids.  Unfortunately there was nothing that they could do.  The guy told me that emotional neglect or emotional abuse is the hardest thing to prove and very rarely is anything able to be done.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I have had them called twice.  My house was dirty both times.  And they tried to take my kids.  Though it had nothing to do with homeschooling.

The first time my husband was deployed.  I had just had my son and asked for help from his Family Readiness Officer, who had offered to help me.  I explained that I had been very sick and had no family near so if he could help with the back yard, mowing it, then I would be able to send the girls out in the back yard while I cleaned house. Instead he called social services.  I had been working on the house and it was not as bad as they said, but they made me give my children to someone else for a week.  They went into my home without me even being there, so they had no permission.

The secound time we had left dishes in the sink and probably a few clothes out while we went on a weekend family trip.  Military housing went in and searched the house without our permission or leaving a note of entry.  That day the social worker just gave us a list and told us to have it cleaned by noon.  Which had been my plan to begin with. 

In the state of California you can loose your children for a dirty house.  You can not have dishes with food on them in the sink, the floors have to be clean and the trash cans empty.  Along with all litter boxes cleaned daily and no real clutter on the floors. 

This is hard in a house with 4 children so people are very rarely allowed in my home and I keep all blinds and windows closed.  If a social worker showed up at my door I would bring my children out to them and defer them to our charter schools. If they had a problem with that they can come back with a warrant and police officers.

smack05
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Yes but not for hs my dgd was beat in the face and head at 15 months by a guy my dd was dating they were in ours lives for over 2 years
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Wonderful! She was an awesome Houdini! Thankfully she worked her way out if that! Lol
I bet you had heart palpitations all the time. :/

Quoting Pukalani79:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM
I had someone tell me they called 911 & cps on me...

The kids were about 13, 11 and 8. It was a spring day, mid-80's and I parked under a tree within about 10ft of the doors. The kids were in the car with all the windows down and my protection trained German Shepherd in the front seat.

I ran into the mini-bank branch to drop off a deposit. It had all glass windows so they were never out of my sight and the legal age to be in the car in our state is 12. I was in MAYBE 3 minutes.

So I come out and some lady starts yelling at me that she took a pic of the kids and the license plate and she called 911 and CPS. I told her it was fine and to mind her own business and drove off.

I don't know if she really called or not but I never heard from them.
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Where are you? I'm just curious if you live in a restrictive state as far as homeschooling goes

Quoting Ecoseem:

If so, what went down?  I'm curious because of a warning recently sent out to those in my area homeschool group, that several families in our county were being investigated about supposed educational neglect due to homeschooling.  It's all got me a bit nervous, so I'm wondering how this stuff usually works out.  I've been through the system as an adolescent, so I know first hand the lying, sneaky, sometimes evil tactics used by workers.

mrs.hartman12
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Nope but our family has an attorney on retainer so if they ever did I would refer them to him and send them on their way. I know my rights and reguse to let anyone trample them.
Ecoseem
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM

IN, which is a pretty easy state.

Quoting Pukalani79:

Where are you? I'm just curious if you live in a restrictive state as far as homeschooling goes

Quoting Ecoseem:

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Never.  I keep a very clean house and my kids are well cared for.  If CPS knocked on my door I would let them in, I have nothing to hide.  As far as homeschooling goes I would show them NOTHING.  My state does not require HS records.  I know my rights and am not about to have scare tactics used on me. 

newmom121812
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Yes in the hospital after having my son. They realized im a good mom and the hospital screwed up. Never heard from them again
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)