Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Have any of you had a visit from cps?

Posted by   + Show Post

If so, what went down?  I'm curious because of a warning recently sent out to those in my area homeschool group, that several families in our county were being investigated about supposed educational neglect due to homeschooling.  It's all got me a bit nervous, so I'm wondering how this stuff usually works out.  I've been through the system as an adolescent, so I know first hand the lying, sneaky, sometimes evil tactics used by workers.

by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
snowangel1979
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Yes. My mom used to call every time she go mad at me. Always for just stupid reasons.
Ex: my son is not in school (he was 2) I had my children out at 2am (yep, er visit) or I have a dog fighting ring in my garage. I had the state police and CPS show up for that one. Luckily my neighbor at that time was a cop who loved the dog and would bring him back after he jumping the fence to play with his children and he laughed at them saying the dog wouldn't hurt a fly. Plus he didn't have any marks on him. He was definitely such a mean pitbull.

I kept having to leave work to meet them (I was still working at that time) and they always wanted me to volunteer for their services. If you volunteer and don't follow threw, they can take your child just based on that. (no thank-you)

It got to the point where I started telling them unless they had a warrant, your not coming in and they stopped coming. I also didn't talk to my mom for 2 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
My parents used to threaten all the time to call and to take my son away from me. I don't think they ever did, or if they did nothing ever came of it (CPS in my state is so busy and understaffed that they only investigate 50% of the reports they receive)! I was young and so afraid, my parents were so manipulative, it was really an awful situation. We didn't talk for two years at one point, and it has been months at a couple other points.

One time my dad and my ex and a police officer showed up at my apartment (my ex worked for the pd in the town I lived in..he was a dispatcher) and said they felt my son was in a dangerous situation (my now DH was a danger apparently)...I was so scared, and the police officer said that he thought I should just let my son go because my dad and ex wouldn't leave without him. So I let him go :(. It was like 10:30pm and DS was like 2.5, I wrapped him in a blankie and let him go. My dad told me to come too bc DH was "dangerous", but I had DHs dd and couldn't very well leave her alone (DH was working, got home around 11:30pm). When DH got home I felt so awful about letting DS go that I left and went and slept at my parents house with him. I lied to DH and said DS just wanted to go over and then that he was sick so I had to go stay with him. DH totally understood (he was just bf at the time) and the next day I explained it all to him. He convinced me that ex and the police officer abused their power and I reported them to the chief and the DA.

If something like that ever happened now, I would have a much different reaction. Sometimes I wish my parents would be that crazy again just so I can show them I'm not the little girl I once was...but they know that and wouldn't dare try any of that stuff now. I can't believe I just shared all of that. It's kind of embarrassing, but it's cathartic to let it out.

Quoting snowangel1979:

Yes. My mom used to call every time she go mad at me. Always for just stupid reasons.

Ex: my son is not in school (he was 2) I had my children out at 2am (yep, er visit) or I have a dog fighting ring in my garage. I had the state police and CPS show up for that one. Luckily my neighbor at that time was a cop who loved the dog and would bring him back after he jumping the fence to play with his children and he laughed at them saying the dog wouldn't hurt a fly. Plus he didn't have any marks on him. He was definitely such a mean pitbull.

I kept having to leave work to meet them (I was still working at that time) and they always wanted me to volunteer for their services. If you volunteer and don't follow threw, they can take your child just based on that. (no thank-you)

It got to the point where I started telling them unless they had a warrant, your not coming in and they stopped coming. I also didn't talk to my mom for 2 years.

luvcats406
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM

No, thank goodness.  My state is a restrictive state so I am very careful and follow the law to the letter.  I don't want them to visit me.  I would not let them in if they did.  If they insisted, I would say get a warrant and close the door on them.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:45 PM

When my daughter was in public school, she went through a phase where she started peeing her pants.   When asked about it, she would lie.    One day, I had my hands full with baby, diapers, ointment, wipes, etc... and she lied.   I just intended to tap her on the head with the flat part of the tube of ointment and say, "hey, we talked about the fibbing thing!" then walk away.    However, she looked up as I was tapping her and I accidentally caught her eyebrow with the end of the tube of ointment.   I felt bad and apologized.   She was 7 and she laughed at my mistake.  No biggie right?   Just a mom mistake?

No, she went to public school the next day with the TEEEEENIEST mark on her eyebrow... yes, I felt bad, but had NO intention of beating my kid I just slipped up.

Anyway, she showed the teacher where her mom had "hit" her and acted all sobby story about it.   They took her to the guidance counselor for WEEKS trying to get more information out of her.   I didn't know they were doing it.   They tried hard to build a case against me... all for a tap....

Anyway, I get a call from the CPS worker who is acting all authoritative and tough... she wants me to let her come see my home and visit with me about a report of an incident made by the school.  

I set a time two mornings later, and had her in.   I ran a pretty organized house back then because I was also providing childcare.   I showed her all my paperwork for the daycare, the house, the kids, etc... I gave her references of the daycare parents, etc...

She was all tough at first, and then changed her tone as we visited.   We ended up mainly just chit chatting.  She actually said, "Well, I have to just tell you what the law says about discipline.  I can see that this is a safe home and I will recommend as such.  Since you admitted what happened and it lines up with exactly what your daughter said happened, I'm not worried about the kids or your home.   However, I'm supposed to just tell you what the law says about appropriate discipline, so bear with me...."

I never heard another word from them again.... even after I pulled the kids out of public school and homeschooled them a year later.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Wow. I am seriously disturbed that so many of you have had CPS called! Yikes. I have never, and I don't think I even know anyone who has had them come out. 

BatMom.
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Wow, that's crazy! No, I haven't had a problem with CPS for any reason *knocks on wood* (I don't want to jinx myself; my luck some idiot would try to mess with us or something), but they'd see that my Son is far from neglected in any way, including academically!

photo BatMomSIGGYcmSMALL_zps2e2cf8d4.png

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Ive been through the system too. I am always amazed at how many people think it is a good or fair system.

There are homeschool laws in place in many states and they help protect the parents. It is in the states where there are no (or vague) laws where people are left more vulnerable.

Beyond having a dr threaten to call cps on me when I asked about the risks of immunization shots... no. I have never had cps called on me.

If someone ever called cps on my family based on homeschooling, and I found out who it was, the kids and I would never again have anything to do with them. They would be immediately cut out of our lives forever. I would consider it one of the most ultimate forms of betrayal.

Man, the amount of anger that would arise would just be insurmountable!!! 

devil

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Nope, I've never had them called on me. I don't know what I would do if they showed up.

oredeb
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM

wow the cps gets around! i never realized that,

ive never had them call on me, yet!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Oh, I forgot about when oldest DS was a baby.  The doctor called them on us.  He was 18 months old.  When he stopped bfing, his weight stagnated, for MONTHS!  But he was also having horrible constipation, so much so that his stomach would distend and when he finally would go there would be blood in it.  That was my concern.  I felt that if we could fix the constipation cycle that all the rest would melt away.  I felt that he wasn't eating because his belly felt full from all the pent up poo.  I went rounds with her because she wouldn't even see that as a possible issue and simply wanted me to give him pediasure.  I am crazy about nutrition and I totally disagree with feeding a child non-food in order to gain weight.  Anyway, the doctor said that if I didn't go to my next appointment with her and I he hadn't gained weight she was going to call on me.

I found another doctor and blew off her appointment.  She called CPS on me.  I had 2 emergency room visits and 2 appointments with a new doctor to show them when they came.  The emergency room visits showed them that DS had extreme constipation and that an enema was administered and then showed that the second visit was the follow-up they had asked for.  The new doctor had prescribed a laxative and an acidopholus tablet and the second one showed that he had gained weight (without the pediasure!) 

Since we were "homeless" at the time, hubby was building our house and we were living with my mom and dad, they came back 3 times over the next year.  I don't think the SW was pleased that I had questioned the doctor, she was not pleased that I was actually right about the issue, and she was not pleased that I found a doctor that would write a letter stating that his colleague's assessment was detrimental to the life of my child and that I had a malpractice case if I wanted to pursue one.  But there was nothing she could do legally about any of that.

Iguess that just showed me to be totally anal about all my paperwork.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN