Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what is your 6-7 year old reading?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM
  • 31 Replies
All these post about reading curriculum made me wonder whts the last book your 6-7 yr old read? For my son its captain underpants, lately he has come to be ok with reading normally he would HATE to read and complain about every page. Now he is back to reading chapter books easily. He has read some into diary of a wimpy kid but he doesnt really like how many words per page. Oh and he is obsessed with the comics from the newspaper.

So what is yr kid reading?

by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awesomemommy2
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine is just starting the harry potters
marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Quoting awesomemommy2:

How old is yrs? Ds is 6.5 and Ive been thinking of starting the harry potter with him but worry about intimidating him with the size of the book. How many chapters do they read a day? With diary of a wimpy kid he reads a chapter a day, with captain underpantsnhe reads 3 a day.Also he isnt really into the harry potter movies so I wonder if the book series isnt something he could get into. Ugg all this reading level stuff is so complicated I swear lol.

awesomemommy2
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM
He is 7 and going into second. Will be 8 in April. He reads a chapter or two a day (depending on what's going on). If the subject matter doesn't interest him then he may have a hard time getting through it.

We went to universal and he went on the rides so he is super interested in them.

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Quoting awesomemommy2:

How old is yrs? Ds is 6.5 and Ive been thinking of starting the harry potter with him but worry about intimidating him with the size of the book. How many chapters do they read a day? With diary of a wimpy kid he reads a chapter a day, with captain underpantsnhe reads 3 a day.Also he isnt really into the harry potter movies so I wonder if the book series isnt something he could get into. Ugg all this reading level stuff is so complicated I swear lol.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Goosebumps.  He just finished one about a mask.

He's reading the Plants Vrs. Zombies Adventure guide and oogling the second game.

BrittO2
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM

DS(7) is all about lego ninjago, he is not a strong reader though. Hopefully once he gets glasses his reading will improve. 

kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

He just finished Magic Tree House: Mummies in the Morning. 

Precious333
by Julia on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Magic tree house. I also want to get him the lego ninja. I am reading peter pan to the boys.
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I have a 6 and a 7 y/o. My 7 y/o (boy) is a reluctant reader. He loves Frog and Toad (Arnold Lobel), and this week read a book called The Viper which he loved - it has to be funny or he's just irritated, and even then he never chooses to read for pleasure. I HOPE he will someday... we keep at it. :)

MotoStar
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

My son (7) is reading Harry Potter. He is almost done with the 3rd year.

marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Quoting hipmomto3:

I have a 6 and a 7 y/o. My 7 y/o (boy) is a reluctant reader. He loves Frog and Toad (Arnold Lobel), and this week read a book called The Viper which he loved - it has to be funny or he's just irritated, and even then he never chooses to read for pleasure. I HOPE he will someday... we keep at it. :)

This is how ds is he doesnt like to read so it has to be something he really likes that is funny. Which is why he like captain underpants. He does seem to like this spy kids series (not the movie). I just keep wondering if im not making him read enough I ask for a chapter a day or 5 chapters a week (sometimes he will read 2 chapters other days it pulling teeth to read). I dont know how much he should be reading.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN