Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what is your 6-7 year old reading?

Posted by   + Show Post
All these post about reading curriculum made me wonder whts the last book your 6-7 yr old read? For my son its captain underpants, lately he has come to be ok with reading normally he would HATE to read and complain about every page. Now he is back to reading chapter books easily. He has read some into diary of a wimpy kid but he doesnt really like how many words per page. Oh and he is obsessed with the comics from the newspaper.

So what is yr kid reading?

by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:01 PM

My oldest is reading Junie B. Jones, Has a Monster Under Her Bed.  My youngest is reading a junior edition of Little Women as well as a Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus.  The little one I have to keep challanged with her reading, but since she got her glasses she has gone backwards with the books she wants to read.  She wants all the books that she has previously read....I think its because she can see them now and wants to look at the pictures.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Oh good lawd!! I suddenly feel like I need to have dd (6) do her reaing lessons ASAP so he can catch up. She is not fond of reading yet. She will read but she is still working on it & not what i consider really reading yet. She can read short books with the big print like the level books (I CAN READ books) but will get frustrated before finishing. I guess she really mainlyis just lacking confidence. We havebeen using readingeggs and it has been helping her.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:55 PM

My 6 year old reads Junie B. Jones, but she is not a super strong reader.  We need to practice more reading aloud.

My 7 year old is reading Little House in the Big Woods for school but has decided to go back and reread all her Magic Tree House books lately for fun.

marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting twyliatepeka:

Oh good lawd!! I suddenly feel like I need to have dd (6) do her reaing lessons ASAP so he can catch up. She is not fond of reading yet. She will read but she is still working on it & not what i consider really reading yet. She can read short books with the big print like the level books (I CAN READ books) but will get frustrated before finishing. I guess she really mainlyis just lacking confidence. We havebeen using readingeggs and it has been helping her.

This is how I feel, I
Like he is somehow seriously behind, eventhough I know its not true its just a fear I have. Every kid learns at their own pace, im trying not to force him into it either. I love to read and cannot live without my books, i probably read 300 books a year and I want him to have a love for reading like I do.Dh on the other hand hasnt read a book for fun in 15 yrs lol, I dont know how he lives.

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Mine is obsessed with mummies (Secrets of the Mummies), but he also really likes I Wonder Why the Romans Wore Togas and I Wonder Why the Greeks Built Temples.  He did three or so fiction chapter books this summer, but he seems to be on a non-fiction kick right now....

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Nice to know i am not alone :) I know she will pick it up soon. She just has to build up her confidence & keep working at it.

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Quoting twyliatepeka:

This is how I feel, I
Like he is somehow seriously behind, eventhough I know its not true its just a fear I have. Every kid learns at their own pace, im trying not to force him into it either. I love to read and cannot live without my books, i probably read 300 books a year and I want him to have a love for reading like I do.Dh on the other hand hasnt read a book for fun in 15 yrs lol, I dont know how he lives.

marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Quoting JKronrod:

Mine is obsessed with mummies (Secrets of the Mummies), but he also really likes I Wonder Why the Romans Wore Togas and I Wonder Why the Greeks Built Temples.  He did three or so fiction chapter books this summer, but he seems to be on a non-fiction kick right now....

You know my son is always asking about why things r the way they are and loves random facts I may try to incorporate some non fiction reading this yr and see how he likes it. On another random info though I got him book to supplement our human body unit called body baddies (its all about viruses and germs in our bodies) totally freked him out he wouldnt even touch it lol. Dh didnt like itmeither said there is no reason for a person to know all that info. Lmao

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM
My LO's are reading The Cat In The Hat, Space Exploration, and various rabbit stories.
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Definitely try non-fiction.  In thinking about this, all of my kids (my 6-year-old is the youngest of four) really wanted to read about "real" things when they were this age.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe they are still sorting out what is real and what is make-believe.  I've never heard that knowing about germs was "TMI" before, LOL.  It make me wonder what was in that book to make both of them react like that! 

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Quoting JKronrod:

You know my son is always asking about why things r the way they are and loves random facts I may try to incorporate some non fiction reading this yr and see how he likes it. On another random info though I got him book to supplement our human body unit called body baddies (its all about viruses and germs in our bodies) totally freked him out he wouldnt even touch it lol. Dh didnt like itmeither said there is no reason for a person to know all that info. Lmao

marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Quoting JKronrod:

The book was about things like worms in your body and ear wigs, bot flies, eye worms etc. It had pictures of the things and (this is the bad part) pictures of worm being removed from infected bodyparts lol. I got the book in a bag of books for 5 bucks from a thrift store that aas marked homeschool. Ds opened it and their is thies 3d ear wigs right on the first pge lmao , you would think itmburned him how quick he dropped it lol. I think I will try nnon-fiction with him but just not that in depth. Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)