Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

It's the last week of August! What are you learning/ doing?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:27 PM
  • 12 Replies

Can you believe it's almost September?

by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Nope, this month has flown by.  We are going into our 3rd week of homeschooling and we are both still loving it.  We had to modify Math, because he had a meltdown about it last week.  So we are going to work on re-learning some of the stuff he should have learned last year.  Mostly by playing games and doing hands on stuff.  We are still doing Electricity in Science, this week we are learning about circuits!  English is working on the parts of speech and History is Mesopotamia and Akkadia. 

ambertreas76
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Kinder phonics stuff, addition and subtraction, fine tuning pencil control, human anatomy per my 5 yr old's request, and tomorrow is field trip day to the petting zoo!!!
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I would like the weather to get cooler if the end of summer is going to be in sight.  :)

We're tackling robots, addition/subtraction, multiplication/division (math is a tough split for me this year), plants and compost, and independent reading and comprehension.  It sounds like so little, but takes so much time.

Oh, we are also totally digging Liberty's Kids.  Fun show!

marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM
The human body, egyptian mummies we will be mking a body model double and making our own mummies.

Math we are moving on to refreshing double digits to prep for learning to carry next week.
Science will be the process or mummification and the model of the body
Reading I picked up a couple cool books on the body and mummies
History obviously egyptian times
Geography we will be charting egypt africa and the pyramids on the globe we made this week
Pe wrestling practice and the park this week
Writing I havemhim writingnand labelling all the bones and organ in the body
Spelling we keep the same 10 words for 2 weeks so this week we going to be doing a dig for mummies (really unravelling bandages from around scrabble tiles then building spelling words)
This week I also hope to introduce him to kids suduko ...the cutest game evrr lol

People wonder why I do mummies and the human body the same week, it just seems to go together becahse of the way mummies are prepared for burial it lways brings us back to talking about our bodies
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Hands on tech and gadgets and math.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Oh yes, and relearning some English.
caringmom33
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:37 AM

you all have awesome posts, I always thought I was creative but I don't come close to you all. I look on Pinterest a lot and find ideas like word family pullouts and so I adjust it to my materials I have on hand and ended up using large popcicle sticks and folded and taped cardstock paper around it loosely enough so the stick could move but not too easily. Then I wrote the main part of the word like at on the paper and then wrote c then left a big space and repeated the process with h, m, b, s, for my kindergardener. Just simple little things, and I think we are going to make a year project with building a human sized pinata.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Today is our first day, and now I'm starting to think I need to push back 2 more weeks. Awful, awful, awful night last night, and my parents are coming next week for a week...and are just now telling me... 
If we do start today....
Little Man:
Morning work (calendar math and time, and weather) along with learning the corresponding words in Chinese
Math: Math U See Primer Lesson 12, learning the symbols in Addition and actually adding
Reading: reviewing flash cards of words he knows but pretends not to
Handwriting
Spelling: All About Spelling 1 lesson 1 - learning the sounds of all phonograms (review for him)
Health: Looking closely at the eye and ear when going over 5 senses
Science: Find the cricket that escaped in the house and let it actually escape OUTSIDE the house.

Sweet Pea:
Math: Gamma Lesson 28 I think, going over multi digit mulptiplication with larger numbers
Reading: Reading first story, comprehension and vocab worksheets that go with it
Handwriting
Writing: Writing a Letter with Correct Punctuation
Science: Chapter 1 of Astronomy and starting on Wed, she picks an astronomer to learn about and we'll do a fun biography on the astronomer. (all reports will be written as if it were a section of a newspaper so she can choose an Obituary, Birth Announcement, Write a piece of his/her greatest achievement like it just happened, etc).
History: MWF- Go over a general world History during the time period we're studying (which I still have to figure out exactly lol. Early Modern) T&TH - State Research project starting with Deleware this week (a state a week, going in chronological order in which they became a state)
Spelling: AAS Lesson 25 Ways to spell the long /i/
Foreign Langauge: Learn same words as Little Man in Chinese

blueyedbaker
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:37 AM

The only thing I'm thinking of is my brothers visit. And how busy September will be. I think I have every thing I need for HSing so I'm all set there. I just want both my brothers here, even if it's just for a week! It's going to be great. After that I'll think how busy I'll be. Looks like October will be a lot less hectic though!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Well, i gave up on teaching the night sky. I'm hoping September will have some clear nights where we can use our telescope.  All they got was the "book learnin" on it.  Instead we pickled our cucumbers and we talked about what Lime did to the cells and what vinegar does to the cells, we dissolved an egg shell.  We talked about PH and tested the vinegar and lime, plus baking soda, water, corn and tomato puree.  My oldest learned to use a knife to cut the tomatoes.  And why we need a pressure canner for our corn.

We have been talking about vegetation in differing environments, where environments are located on the globe, and how they change.  We also used that new knowledge to figure out why the vikings moved around so much and why they kept attacking Gaul.  Then we discussed how they settled in a section of Gaul when it was given to them and why some of them might not have wanted to settle.  Really cool critical thinking for their ages!!

We have read Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, The Giving Tree, The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses, Herb the Vegetarian Dragon, and we read The Hag and the Long Leather Bag this week to round out our language arts.

And we are quickly moving along in our Math U See.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN