Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spend the most....

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:32 AM
  • 67 Replies

Okay ladies, what curriculum or supply do you spend the very most amount of money on?  And Why?  What is your logic behind it. 

This is curiosity so please don't bash each other's responses.

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Math and Science.

I spend the most on those because 1) I'm least equipped to teach them myself, so I need extra tools and support; and 2) DD's post-high school goals are STEM heavy, so it's important to me that she gets the best possible education in those subjects.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Books for reading, science, and math. It what they are passionate about the most. I love following their interests. I will always do what I can to encourage what they love.
hwblyf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Books.  Flat out, books.  My kids are readers, so they pick up a book and learn whatever is in there.  I've spent heavy on math and we bought a laptop this year, but I'm a book junkie.  So while it may be for history, it's a book.  Math?  Book.  Science?  Book.  And I never do just one book.  Never.  I need to attend some kind of meeting for this.

Subject-wise, though, it's been math and science.  I can get a lot of books at the library for reading and for history and doing projects, but I like to have the experiments at home, and I just love to have math literature.  Also, Life of Fred just isn't at the library.  And then whatever their current interests are.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Hm, IDK.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Math and Science.

I spend the most on those because 1) I'm least equipped to teach them myself, so I need extra tools and support; and 2) DD's post-high school goals are STEM heavy, so it's important to me that she gets the best possible education in those subjects.

I spend the most on Math too.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Quoting hwblyf:

Books.  Flat out, books.  My kids are readers, so they pick up a book and learn whatever is in there.  I've spent heavy on math and we bought a laptop this year, but I'm a book junkie.  So while it may be for history, it's a book.  Math?  Book.  Science?  Book.  And I never do just one book.  Never.  I need to attend some kind of meeting for this.

Subject-wise, though, it's been math and science.  I can get a lot of books at the library for reading and for history and doing projects, but I like to have the experiments at home, and I just love to have math literature.  Also, Life of Fred just isn't at the library.  And then whatever their current interests are.

I LOVE Life of Fred!!! Do you use it as the full Curriculum or a supplement?

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM

LOE - my kids were behind in reading and it seemed vital to catch them up. I like that LOE taught phonics based on all the rules. 

MCT - My kids new fave subject. This english curriculum is just beautiful.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM

i never count the books for our language arts (just the phonics, spelling, grammar books/workbooks) because we would have the hundreds of books anyway.  I'm a book addict, I'll admit it.

So I think I spend the most on Math and Science because for Math I want lots of manipulatives and a very good, solid base for later.  And for science I have bought a lot of equipment.... balance, scale, magnets, magnifying glasses, microscope, telescope, etc plus the books.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Quoting celticdragon77:

LOE - my kids were behind in reading and it seemed vital to catch them up. I like that LOE taught phonics based on all the rules. 

MCT - My kids new fave subject. This english curriculum is just beautiful.  

What does LOE and MCT stand for?

hwblyf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I use it as the main curriculum and supplement with some manipulatives and I got an origami math book and another creative learning math book.  Today we're going to work on addition facts and multiplication facts by building fact houses ("building" in the construction paper sense!).  My oldest LOVES to read, but to sit down and do math problems?  Oish, what a heartache that was!  Life of Fred he eats up.  So I go through his work and find out his weak spots and we work on those.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

I LOVE Life of Fred!!! Do you use it as the full Curriculum or a supplement?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)