Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Okay ladies, what curriculum or supply do you spend the very most amount of money on?  And Why?  What is your logic behind it. 

This is curiosity so please don't bash each other's responses.

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Replies (21-30):
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Science.  I bought a text book, student notebook, and full lab kit for 7th grade.  I think I spend about $175 on it.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM

My English major ways don't do me a favor when I have to read emails and such from schools.  Seriously, if you're teaching my kid and grading my kid, make sure whatever you send out is grammatically correct.  Just sayin'.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Hey, Fred's cool!  Don't change till (unless) you need to.

Yeah, honestly the backa nd forth property.  As someone with a math concentration that nearly made my head explode. LOL

Quoting hwblyf:

Maybe I'll have to revisit.  I'm just happy with Fred right now, though, so it's not a high priority.  :)  Honestly, back and forth property?  Hmm....

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Science.  I bought a text book, student notebook, and full lab kit for 7th grade.  I think I spend about $175 on it.

Yep, the lab kits are expensive!!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I'm a grammar police, so it bothers me too.  I try to ignore it everywhere, although sometimes it gets the better of me.  :-)

Quoting hwblyf:

My English major ways don't do me a favor when I have to read emails and such from schools.  Seriously, if you're teaching my kid and grading my kid, make sure whatever you send out is grammatically correct.  Just sayin'.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Hey, Fred's cool!  Don't change till (unless) you need to.

Yeah, honestly the backa nd forth property.  As someone with a math concentration that nearly made my head explode. LOL

Quoting hwblyf:

Maybe I'll have to revisit.  I'm just happy with Fred right now, though, so it's not a high priority.  :)  Honestly, back and forth property?  Hmm....

Quoting bluerooffarm:

oredeb
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM

ohh i just spent 75 dollars on 'all about reading' that probably the most ive ever spent on any kind of curriculum before!

logic behind buyig it, hmmmmm ive never seen a phonics progam i liked before till this one, so im gona try it!! this year there will be a couple kids it will be used on.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Quoting oredeb:

ohh i just spent 75 dollars on 'all about reading' that probably the most ive ever spent on any kind of curriculum before!

logic behind buyig it, hmmmmm ive never seen a phonics progam i liked before till this one, so im gona try it!! this year there will be a couple kids it will be used on.

What do you like about all about reading?  What makes it special?  All phonics programs seem a lot alike to me.

oredeb
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM

what i like about 'all about reading' the teachers plan on how to go about it is very easy to understand, it doenst seem boring(when i start teaching with it will see about boring!!) nice short lessons, i like the rhyming and word games

its probably like all the other programs, but this one seems funner(i know not a word) more interesting for the kids, and short and to the point.

*oh yea i forgot! the poetry! thats my favorite!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting oredeb:

What do you like about all about reading?  What makes it special?  All phonics programs seem a lot alike to me.

marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Math...last year webought both math u see alpha and beta...used alpha last yr beta this yearmand am supplementing with the schools math curriculum. Everything else I can easily teach myself, math I like to sgay on track with grade level since so much is based on building from one level to the next.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Short and to the point is important.  Let us know how it works.

Quoting oredeb:

what i like about 'all about reading' the teachers plan on how to go about it is very easy to understand, it doenst seem boring(when i start teaching with it will see about boring!!) nice short lessons, i like the rhyming and word games

its probably like all the other programs, but this one seems funner(i know not a word) more interesting for the kids, and short and to the point.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting oredeb:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Math...last year webought both math u see alpha and beta...used alpha last yr beta this yearmand am supplementing with the schools math curriculum. Everything else I can easily teach myself, math I like to sgay on track with grade level since so much is based on building from one level to the next.

That's my reasoning for spending so much on Math, too.  It really just keeps building right along.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN