Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Okay ladies, what curriculum or supply do you spend the very most amount of money on?  And Why?  What is your logic behind it. 

This is curiosity so please don't bash each other's responses.

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Replies (41-50):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I like history, but SotW is very affordable and I make my own projects to go with it.

I make my own English/language arts, so it is very cheap.

I love MUS!

Quoting KrissyKC:

I think math and science as well, but mainly because I buy Rod & Staff for English, which is rather affordable and I like it.   Science is just so fun and hands on.   Science has lots of opportunity for supplies, clubs, experiments, etc... as well as good curriculum.

History has never been my favorite subject, and the kids seem to learn just fine off living books, videos, etc... However, I do buy something as a guide (like Rod & Staff Homelands of North America this year)..

For Math, I've invested in MUS, and when my eldest (who is pretty mathematically intelligent) gets in high school, she will probably do BOTH Saxon and some MUS still.   

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

It is a tossup between paper & art supplies. Everything they do has something to do with paper &/or some kind of art supplie.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I'm surprised that no one has listed an ipad or kindle or anything like that to their biggest expenses. 

armygirl16
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM
I bought a boxed curriculum (memoria press) which was around $300 after shipping. For me I HAVE to have a full boxed curriculum with everything in it. I work 40-50 hours a week and my hubby does most of the teaching. I have to set everything up for him before I leave for work though. I may use memoria press again next year. I may have to buy a separate math curriculum though because my daughter is almost halfway through this years math and we just started a little over a week ago (we skipped a LOT).
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Well, I know that the electronics we have (ipad, other tablets, laptops, etc) are things we didn't buy specifically FOR homeschooling, so I don't count them.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm surprised that no one has listed an ipad or kindle or anything like that to their biggest expenses. 

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Quoting armygirl16:

I bought a boxed curriculum (memoria press) which was around $300 after shipping. For me I HAVE to have a full boxed curriculum with everything in it. I work 40-50 hours a week and my hubby does most of the teaching. I have to set everything up for him before I leave for work though. I may use memoria press again next year. I may have to buy a separate math curriculum though because my daughter is almost halfway through this years math and we just started a little over a week ago (we skipped a LOT).

Sounds like you have a math wiz.  That's cool!  :-)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM

There are a lot of things I would have anyway that I don't count (soccer, swimming, and books come to mind) so I can see that.  I didn't buy our tablets, but if it weren't for homeschooling I would have said no to my inlaws when they wanted to buy them.  I am not a tech kinda girl.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Well, I know that the electronics we have (ipad, other tablets, laptops, etc) are things we didn't buy specifically FOR homeschooling, so I don't count them.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I'm so glad to hear you say that! It makes the push now feel like it really will be worthwhile. She did her first two lessons today and even did an extra because she was on a roll.

I often feel as though high school is this giant Rubik's Cube and someone keeps moving the blocks around on me. I hear about friends and their kids taking 87 different AP classes and I struggle with feeling as though we're behind. But we're not. She'll graduate with extra credits in both Math and Science at the rate we're going. And we'll do it at a pace that will challenge her, but not overwhelm her. There's not a thing wrong with AP Calc and Honors Physics and regular World History instead of them all being AP.

I'm pulling out the credit card again today to register for the SAT and the ACT in October. This will be the first time she takes them, and her plate is already full enough that I don't want to add in any high-pressure test prep classes, so we're just going to see what she knows and what she still needs to work on.

I just need to remember to breathe every once in a while. :) And thank you again for the encouraging words. ((Hugs))

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

We're actually doing two Thinkwell math courses this year. A year of Trig in 1st semester and a year of Pre-Calc in 2nd semester. $250 this year so she can take AP Calc next year.

And she's taking her science at the community college this year, but it's not part of the high school dual enrollment program so it's not subsidized by the district. $370 for one semester, which at least equals one year of high school credit.

Yeah, Math and Science are definitely the high ticket items.

AP calc is so worth the extra money this year!!  I scored high enough on my placements that I skipped trig and calc 1 in college, so definately worth the cash.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Aww...you're very welcome.  Remember that people who take too many of the AP classes often do not score high enough on all of the tests to do them any good.  It's best to pick and choose the one or ones that you are most likely to do well with and not overwhelm yourself.  And colleges like to see those extra math and science credits.

Right now they are looking for people who are well-rounded but have an idea of what they want and where they are going.  With just one or 2 AP classes and extra courses you show that you can do the multiple sciences and you can buckle down and work at the one you really enjoy.

That's the advice I gave my students anyway and it paid off for them.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I'm so glad to hear you say that! It makes the push now feel like it really will be worthwhile. She did her first two lessons today and even did an extra because she was on a roll.

I often feel as though high school is this giant Rubik's Cube and someone keeps moving the blocks around on me. I hear about friends and their kids taking 87 different AP classes and I struggle with feeling as though we're behind. But we're not. She'll graduate with extra credits in both Math and Science at the rate we're going. And we'll do it at a pace that will challenge her, but not overwhelm her. There's not a thing wrong with AP Calc and Honors Physics and regular World History instead of them all being AP.

I'm pulling out the credit card again today to register for the SAT and the ACT in October. This will be the first time she takes them, and her plate is already full enough that I don't want to add in any high-pressure test prep classes, so we're just going to see what she knows and what she still needs to work on.

I just need to remember to breathe every once in a while. :) And thank you again for the encouraging words. ((Hugs))

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

We're actually doing two Thinkwell math courses this year. A year of Trig in 1st semester and a year of Pre-Calc in 2nd semester. $250 this year so she can take AP Calc next year.

And she's taking her science at the community college this year, but it's not part of the high school dual enrollment program so it's not subsidized by the district. $370 for one semester, which at least equals one year of high school credit.

Yeah, Math and Science are definitely the high ticket items.

AP calc is so worth the extra money this year!!  I scored high enough on my placements that I skipped trig and calc 1 in college, so definately worth the cash.

kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Probably History, mostly because instead of checking the supplemental books out at the library, I tend to buy them.  And it eventually adds up. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)