Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay ladies, what curriculum or supply do you spend the very most amount of money on?  And Why?  What is your logic behind it. 

This is curiosity so please don't bash each other's responses.

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Replies (51-60):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Quoting kmath:

Probably History, mostly because instead of checking the supplemental books out at the library, I tend to buy them.  And it eventually adds up. 

Yes, they can add up! LOL.  I love books though,so I buy a lot too.

kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:37 PM

LOL, I adore books.  I would much rather buy books instead of having to give them back. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

Probably History, mostly because instead of checking the supplemental books out at the library, I tend to buy them.  And it eventually adds up. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too.  I'm a book hoarder. 

Quoting kmath:

LOL, I adore books.  I would much rather buy books instead of having to give them back. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I have no idea.  Like in the "least" post, we haven't spent a lot and it's our first year.

I have bought some art supplies.  And we may end up paying for some kind of music lesson.  And we did pay for a co-op engineering class..that was about $75 for each kid for the year, so I think that's our biggest expense so far.  But there's no real reason, just that that was the class offered that they were interested in and I wanted to get them into something.  I guess PE will cost us something as well when they are doing sports.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I have no idea.  Like in the "least" post, we haven't spent a lot and it's our first year.

I have bought some art supplies.  And we may end up paying for some kind of music lesson.  And we did pay for a co-op engineering class..that was about $75 for each kid for the year, so I think that's our biggest expense so far.  But there's no real reason, just that that was the class offered that they were interested in and I wanted to get them into something.  I guess PE will cost us something as well when they are doing sports.

Since the kids would do sports anyway I didn't really think to count that when I started this post.  But then again, they are all supposed to pick an instrument in 5th grade, so they would need that too.  See this is where I start wondering what I should really count as schooling expenses.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Haha, I wonder as well.  I have to say I am impressed by my son's dad...I signed both kids up for that class and just paid for it (you have to pay ahead).  I told his dad about it, just kind of as a confirmation that we are hs'ing, and his dad almost immediately paid for half the class.  In our agreement (since we are divorced) he is supposed to pay 50% of extra curricular activities.  I hadn't really thought he would pay for homeschool related stuff.  But now, where is the line?  What counts?  What do I ask him to pay for? lol.  I have no idea.  I haven't asked him to pay for any curriculum.  He has some little kids, so maybe he will just buy my used curriculum to use with his kids ;)

I was going to try to keep track of how much we spend, but then we buy things like paint..well I would buy DD paint anyway because she loves to paint, so does that count or not?  And sports and piano lessons...those are things we would pay for after school anyway, so is that really school or not? lol, who knows!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Since the kids would do sports anyway I didn't really think to count that when I started this post.  But then again, they are all supposed to pick an instrument in 5th grade, so they would need that too.  See this is where I start wondering what I should really count as schooling expenses.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I spent the absolute most on a reading program but I needed something that helped me just as much as it helped my daughter. She was/is struggling with reading and I have no idea exactly how hard to be pushing or if I'm expecting her to do too much. I spent just slightly over $200 to do Mosdos Press. But the teachers manual is extensive. Between helpful hints and pointing out where there is alliteration, the climax, the resolution, the conclusion, etc (stuff I honestly was NEVER great at) and then explaining why those parts are it, and giving discussion questions for each page. Reading the story through may have taken us twice as long as normal, but at least I know she understands it!! Then there are vocab and comprehension worksheets and tests (which those we may or may not do...haven't looked at them yet). I also find the justification of the cost up front now, because I'm only spending around $15 for the workbook for Little Man when he gets to this point in schooling.

The next most expensive on my list is Science....though for what I'm getting I'm still debating if I want to spend that again... It's costing close to $200 again this year for 2 of the book bundles. Last year it was around $300 because we had gotten 3 bundles, but they're only written out for 10 weeks, but now the lesson plans that come with are stretching it to 20 weeks.  I love Real Science 4 Kids and hate it all at the same time :/.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Quoting No_Difference:

I spent the absolute most on a reading program but I needed something that helped me just as much as it helped my daughter. She was/is struggling with reading and I have no idea exactly how hard to be pushing or if I'm expecting her to do too much. I spent just slightly over $200 to do Mosdos Press. But the teachers manual is extensive. Between helpful hints and pointing out where there is alliteration, the climax, the resolution, the conclusion, etc (stuff I honestly was NEVER great at) and then explaining why those parts are it, and giving discussion questions for each page. Reading the story through may have taken us twice as long as normal, but at least I know she understands it!! Then there are vocab and comprehension worksheets and tests (which those we may or may not do...haven't looked at them yet). I also find the justification of the cost up front now, because I'm only spending around $15 for the workbook for Little Man when he gets to this point in schooling.

The next most expensive on my list is Science....though for what I'm getting I'm still debating if I want to spend that again... It's costing close to $200 again this year for 2 of the book bundles. Last year it was around $300 because we had gotten 3 bundles, but they're only written out for 10 weeks, but now the lesson plans that come with are stretching it to 20 weeks.  I love Real Science 4 Kids and hate it all at the same time :/.

Sounds like the reading is a very good investment, but I'm one of those that believe if you teach reading and math then they can learn everything else there is to learn anywhere!  I haven't looked at Real Science 4 Kids, I piece my science together, but all the equipment and supplies cost a lot.  Plus I try to buy books on the topics they want to cover on top of the equipment.  With the time and money I spend, it may be intelligent to look into a curriculum next year.  Even $200 might be worth it.

I have a love hate relationship with my Geography stuff. 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting No_Difference:

Sounds like the reading is a very good investment, but I'm one of those that believe if you teach reading and math then they can learn everything else there is to learn anywhere!  I haven't looked at Real Science 4 Kids, I piece my science together, but all the equipment and supplies cost a lot.  Plus I try to buy books on the topics they want to cover on top of the equipment.  With the time and money I spend, it may be intelligent to look into a curriculum next year.  Even $200 might be worth it.

The nice thing about Real Science 4 Kids, the majority of the lab stuff are usually every day things from around the house. Last year we were supposed to get a microscope, but it wasn't in the budget, and YouTube saved us. We were able to youtube the slide that we needed to look at and did the lab that way. This year we need a telescope, but fortunatly my dad had one that he hasn't touched in years and just gave it to us. The most expensive thing I need for labs this year are the styrofoam balls of various sizes to make a model of the solar system lol. The teachers manual is only a guide through the labs, and a lot of the answers are "answers may vary"...and that is where I have the hate relationship with this program. The student text book makes it really easy to understand, andt he labs for the most part are pretty basic, but I want at least sample answers and quided questions darn it!! lol.

I have so much family around the world right now that Geography is I guess free for us, and didn't even count it as one of our classes lol. My brother is in China, I've got a cousin in Africa, and another I think going to Lithuania or something like that. My aunt goes to Russia often. We get lots of stuff from them and in general just look up things from those places. The kids find it where they are on the map, and we constantly are looking at pictures on facebook they post. We have a map that they mark where everyone is and then a string or drawn line marking the direct route from there to us and how many miles and kilometers apart we are.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting No_Difference:

The nice thing about Real Science 4 Kids, the majority of the lab stuff are usually every day things from around the house. Last year we were supposed to get a microscope, but it wasn't in the budget, and YouTube saved us. We were able to youtube the slide that we needed to look at and did the lab that way. This year we need a telescope, but fortunatly my dad had one that he hasn't touched in years and just gave it to us. The most expensive thing I need for labs this year are the styrofoam balls of various sizes to make a model of the solar system lol. The teachers manual is only a guide through the labs, and a lot of the answers are "answers may vary"...and that is where I have the hate relationship with this program. The student text book makes it really easy to understand, andt he labs for the most part are pretty basic, but I want at least sample answers and quided questions darn it!! lol.

I have so much family around the world right now that Geography is I guess free for us, and didn't even count it as one of our classes lol. My brother is in China, I've got a cousin in Africa, and another I think going to Lithuania or something like that. My aunt goes to Russia often. We get lots of stuff from them and in general just look up things from those places. The kids find it where they are on the map, and we constantly are looking at pictures on facebook they post. We have a map that they mark where everyone is and then a string or drawn line marking the direct route from there to us and how many miles and kilometers apart we are.

I hate those "answers may vary" types.  I get it, because we had a teacher that wanted a specific set of answers and would not leave a topic until we hit each one listed in the book, but I like some idea of the answer too.  Oh and when we were doing k12, some of the answers the books gave were crazy!  A college kid may answer that way, but not a 7 yo, ya know?

We have family all over the place too.  I hadn't really even thought about using that as a tool.  I did use it for current events a couple times.... I have a cousin in Bahrain (yeah probably hacked that spelling) and we talked about the Arab Spring.  And I have a cousin in Colorado who kept posting pictures of the wild fires there, so those were very cool.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)