Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone Else?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM
  • 18 Replies

Well we started back officially on the 12th and things have been crazy.  My sister went to the hospital and we had a crazy off week last week because of it.

Well we got up, ate breakfast and I started school.  My 6 year old has been working, so has my 4 and 3 year olds.  My 7 year old kept sitting there and watching everyone else, interupting her brother and sisters when they were working, talking, playing, complaining. 

I have sent her to bed.  She did not finish her work last week either.  I assumed it was because we were out of pocket.  Now I am not so sure. 

Anyone else having issues with one or more kids getting started?

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I found it ineffective to send my son away when he would do the same stuff. Essentially, they are getting what they want: Not to do the school work. Separate her, set timers, take away minutes off of bedtime, tv, whatever. OR say, "DD, since you won't leave the other kids alone, Other kids, you are dismissed for the day. Go play and have fun while DD sits here with mom and does her work."

Then, sit there. Don't fight, don't yell. Sit there and read a book. Keep her butt there all day and all day tomorrow if you must. Your younger kids will be fine missing school while you get the oldest in check. Nip this in the bud, now.

Also, make sure it's not too boring work or too hard/easy etc. If the work is not the problem, then it is your daughter. 8)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Well, we started weeks ago, but I'm still having some issues.  My 4yo vomitted all over the floor, couch, bathroom, bed, stairs, and hallway this morning, so YAY!  I've been canning, so it's late nights and early mornings.  I look an awful lot like this out of bedthis morning.  Plus my oldest had bad cramps last night.

Canning has put me behind on laundry and other housework so I feel like this  drowning in laundry

But at least my youngest thinks that since he can't run around and "do anything" that he might as well do his schoolwork.

I'm afraid this week will end up a wash.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I may have to.  She got bored in her room, we have a playroom for toys so they have nothing in their rooms, and came down to ask to do school.  But she really is still not focused.  I just have my 6 year old working now.  I may send her off to do her computer based work and work with my 7 year old.  

I do not know what has gotten into her.  Her work is finally challenging, but not to hard.  I make sure if there is something new, most of the rest of the work is review on that day so she is not working and getting super frustrated.  So the work should be fine.  She is use to doing work that is below her level though because this is the first year I am not using k12.  That were way to easy for her.

Quoting mem82:

I found it ineffective to send my son away when he would do the same stuff. Essentially, they are getting what they want: Not to do the school work. Separate her, set timers, take away minutes off of bedtime, tv, whatever. OR say, "DD, since you won't leave the other kids alone, Other kids, you are dismissed for the day. Go play and have fun while DD sits here with mom and does her work."

Then, sit there. Don't fight, don't yell. Sit there and read a book. Keep her butt there all day and all day tomorrow if you must. Your younger kids will be fine missing school while you get the oldest in check. Nip this in the bud, now.

Also, make sure it's not too boring work or too hard/easy etc. If the work is not the problem, then it is your daughter. 8)

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I hope your 4 year old feels better, and that you get more sleep.  I feel about like you on a daily basis.  I can never catch up and rarely sleep.  We really need a better schedule.  I am working on that but my husband is not helping.  Good luck on your canning!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Well, we started weeks ago, but I'm still having some issues.  My 4yo vomitted all over the floor, couch, bathroom, bed, stairs, and hallway this morning, so YAY!  I've been canning, so it's late nights and early mornings.  I look an awful lot like this out of bedthis morning.  Plus my oldest had bad cramps last night.

Canning has put me behind on laundry and other housework so I feel like this  drowning in laundry

But at least my youngest thinks that since he can't run around and "do anything" that he might as well do his schoolwork.

I'm afraid this week will end up a wash.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:21 PM

This is some darn AWESOME advice.   I love the way you let the OTHER kids who are behaving go play.   Especially in this case, since the "misbehaver" is the eldest.   In the state of Missouri, the compulsory attendance age is 7, so letting the other three go and focusing on the 7 would fit state law anyway (in this case)... not that state law is the priority, but it just makes more sense.

Good luck Mama.

I had to give up on my 5 yr old last week because I was getting frustrated and couldn't handle it, though.  However, she lost EVERY priviledge the whole day since she didn't do her expected schooling.   She got really tired of being ignored.. so she got into her sisters belongings, so I took her and put her on the basement steps instead... and left her sit there for a long time...   it was an ongoing issue and didn't start "working" until the other kids started getting rewards for doing well and she was missing out.

Quoting mem82:

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:21 PM

My 10yo and my 6yo.  Honestly, they're my mules.  And even my less mule-like guy is having trouble, but I would bet that his impending birthday is going to make trouble for me until the day and his party have both bee had.  This is gonna be a painful 2 weeks.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I hope you find a better schedule.  As soon as canning is over, we're taking a break to regroup.  But that's not till October or November.

I think Q is getting better, he held down a slice of bread, so that's a start.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I hope your 4 year old feels better, and that you get more sleep.  I feel about like you on a daily basis.  I can never catch up and rarely sleep.  We really need a better schedule.  I am working on that but my husband is not helping.  Good luck on your canning!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Is the material you are using geared towered her learning style? That is a crucial key if a child learning style in one was & the material dose not play to that then it makes the work 100% harder & the child will be more resistant to doing it.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM
With my youngest, I had to sit right there and keep repeating "focus, please" for hours. Yes,its tedious but I knew the whole point of homeschooling was to give him what he needed, not what easiest for me. With time and maturity, he has become more of a self starter. Seven is really young to be expected to self discipline to that extent. Keep training her to work efficiently and eventually she'll get it.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I am glad you found something that works.  I am going to try that next time.  I am just frustrated.  She gets bored in public school and acts out, but usually at home she knocks out the work.  This is fairly unusual for her.

Quoting KrissyKC:

This is some darn AWESOME advice.   I love the way you let the OTHER kids who are behaving go play.   Especially in this case, since the "misbehaver" is the eldest.   In the state of Missouri, the compulsory attendance age is 7, so letting the other three go and focusing on the 7 would fit state law anyway (in this case)... not that state law is the priority, but it just makes more sense.

Good luck Mama.

I had to give up on my 5 yr old last week because I was getting frustrated and couldn't handle it, though.  However, she lost EVERY priviledge the whole day since she didn't do her expected schooling.   She got really tired of being ignored.. so she got into her sisters belongings, so I took her and put her on the basement steps instead... and left her sit there for a long time...   it was an ongoing issue and didn't start "working" until the other kids started getting rewards for doing well and she was missing out.

Quoting mem82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)