Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How many of you mama's have made "the change"... (not what you think!!!)

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM
  • 40 Replies

I'm talking about changing your lifestyle... specifically regarding the foods you eat.

How many of you were raised on mac n cheese, hotdogs, etc... and you started your own family and adult life the same way...   But somewhere along the road you started learning...

....gluten free???

....no more dyes???

....hfcs???  (corn syrup)

.....low carb???

....organic???

...."whole" foods???

....low fat????

If you have made a change, what do you feel was some of the most important changes... what changes do you seem to follow the most.. (because there are multiple ideas out there)... how difficult was it really?   

I want to make changes, but I'm on my own in my family and aroudn our neighbors.  I actually have neighbors that sneak my kids candy because they think all kids should have candy and we are weird.

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tairakittie
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I was and have!! Getting rid of poisonous cleaning products, shampoo, conditioner and the like, eating more raw organic foods, and taking up yoga was definitely, so far, my best changes!!
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM
The change in my son's diet wasn't really a choice. But does made a huge change behavior-wise and health-wise. My son have milk allergy and have reactions to food color and etc.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I've made the changes.  We are not Gluten free, but we are organic, homegrown, dye free, HFCS free, Trans fat free, and whole foods--including canning of our own foods.  We also wanted to go non-homogenized/pasteurized milk, so we raise our own goats (cows wouldn't work here).  

Yes, I have neighbors and in-laws that think we are weird and sneak the kids candy.  Then they are shocked when I know they did it.  I had to tell my MIL that she would no longer be able to see the kids if she continued.  My oldest had health issues (see the CPS post) that has improved since we made the changes, so it has actually been relatively easy to stick with it.  BUT it is a lot more work than just picking up convenience foods for in the freezer, instead we must make our own convevience foods to have on hand.  We had to search out recipes like graham crackers, tortillas, donuts, and other things that most people don't make but buy in boxes.

I grew up on boxes of mac and cheese, hot dogs, chicky nuggets, high meat, high processed food diet.  My parents do not like the way we eat, but they understand why and they try to be accomadating. 

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM

We have been changing slowly for a while now. Getting away from processed, GMO, non organic foods.

My youngest has the hardest time with the change because he is picky about what he eats so getting him to try new stuff is a challenge.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:42 PM

yes, Ive come around in the past couple of years to changes in our diet and our shopping! 10-12 years ago if you asked me about organic food I would have scoffed that it's stupid and why pay more? The attitude of: "I grew up without organic and Im just fine!"

But now I try to buy most things organic, although I won't knock myself out or break the bank. And we have some non-organic products we still love and buy. I try to avoid lots of processed snacks. We are not gluten-free, but do concentrate on whole grains and limit white bread and pastas and such. I try to put more vegetables on the plate than meat and grains. I don't usually buy fat-free products as I've read that it's a kin to processing. So, we eat regular cheese and whole or 2% milk. I will get light cheese sticks and low fat yogurt for myself, but I figure the kids can tolerate regular dairy in moderation. I try to avoid HFC, but I know it's still in some things we eat.

I am still undecided on GMOs. While I dislike the Monsanto take over of our food industries, I am unsure on if GMOs are actually "bad" for us or not?

And we do get the occasional take-out pizza, restaurant food, and a soda here or there. Plus, we eat our fair share of ice cream!

oredeb
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM

we are still eating the way we have always ate,raised or hunted meat, home grown vegetable, make stuff from scratch.......

Precious333
by Julia on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Not 100% gluten free (dh is though, he's paleo) we did gluten free for a few months.

Everything else yes, but definitely not fat free or low fat.

Not 100% organic, that would be nice though
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM

We made the change to dye free food.  It has been really hard and sometimes I slip.  But it has made a world of difference in my 7 year olds behavior. 

I would be upset at my neighbors if they did that.  My kids get candy very rarely.  I do not give them sugar because they bounce off the walls. That is really not ok.

lucsch
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM

In some ways, I'd love to have the foods I ate in my childhood. My mother raised a huge garden and canned and froze vegetables for the winter. We had chickens for meat and eggs, a few times hogs, and a cow for milk and butter. Of course, everything we ate was fried in bacon grease! So, in many ways we eat better now. I rarely fry anything. It is a mixed bag.

marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM
None of that but I have switched over to more real food lol. As in not eating out everyday and having more healthy food for snacks. I was raised with homemade food and we ate out every sundau, but after I left home for college I switched to eating out everyday and snacking on unhealthy snacks. Since meeting dh (he is a chef) I have tried many foods I never thought I would like and eating healthier all around. He doesnt cookclow fat anything but we eat better and healthier than I ever did b4.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN