Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many of you mama's have made "the change"... (not what you think!!!)

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm talking about changing your lifestyle... specifically regarding the foods you eat.

How many of you were raised on mac n cheese, hotdogs, etc... and you started your own family and adult life the same way...   But somewhere along the road you started learning...

....gluten free???

....no more dyes???

....hfcs???  (corn syrup)

.....low carb???

....organic???

...."whole" foods???

....low fat????

If you have made a change, what do you feel was some of the most important changes... what changes do you seem to follow the most.. (because there are multiple ideas out there)... how difficult was it really?   

I want to make changes, but I'm on my own in my family and aroudn our neighbors.  I actually have neighbors that sneak my kids candy because they think all kids should have candy and we are weird.

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I try to lean toward better options.  No preservatives or dyes, low-carb, organic, etc.  I don't always succeed, but I try.

Monkiebut
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM
We are 95% free:

Gluten
Dyes
Additives
HFCs

I say 95% cause I'm not so controlling that at a party they can't have cake or at school they can't eat a price of candy. But at home we are free, except holidays (I LOVE making colored deviled eggs lol).
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM
We do mostly homemade foods, haven't had milk in a year, less pastas, still not as much meat, drink lots of water and some juices, more rice, less fried foods, more veggies. I know there is more but I am so tired that I can not think straight anymore.
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I've made a few changes.  Most are reducing the amount of corn we eat....and corn fomes in many many forms not just high fructose corn syrup.  I have a child with an allergy to corn and it is changing the ways we eat significantly.  This is still a new diagnosis for us so we are having to revamp our meal plans and change where and what we eat when we go out.  I have also made changes in laundry soap and deodarant....I make my own these days and it is such a change for not only are wallets but our allergies as well.  I still have people who think I am crazy for making my own items, but I think these changes are necessary.  My next endeavor will be making my own diswashing tablets and my own fabric softener.

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I never really made a conscious effort to really ban or change anything. I remember in foster care, preteen and teen years... no one really cooked for us. If I wouldn't cook, they were fine to use their allowance on McDonalds and snacks... or ramen noodles. Lots of ramen noodles. I couldn't handle high sodium foods even as a kid - it messes with my heart. So I found myself cooking a lot. I kind of just grew into it and it evolved. I experimented around. I found that certain foods, for whatever reason, do not do well with me. I became worse about it as I got older. So we do not eat a lot of meats, dairy, or even some grains. I would shop mostly at farms and farmers markets. I ate all natural foods - what grows from the ground and not many things that are processed. I atea lot of homemade foods. Local and organic foods. I wouldnt even buy tortillas - I made them. 

Lately, I only have green smoothies, soups and salads (due to being ill and busy). I don't have the time for how I used to do things. I shop more at the grocery store than I ever have. It is still healthy type meals though. I still consider cooking the most important thing that I do for my family.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:35 PM

awesome, thanks for all the sharing and such...

I've been posting about difficult behaviors out of my 5 yr old Abby.   I had SOME focus and impulse control out of my son, and focus and social issues out of my eldest...   But they were a cake walk compared to Abby.   Yes, I'm motivated to be researching this stuff for my OWN sanity, but also for my poor baby girl who lives in a constant state of "naughty"...

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Oh, and I'm considering not going completely "gluten free".. but in the long run, making my own breads out of whole wheat berries and such.   The bible constantly refers to bread... "bread of life" and such...  anyway, I can't understand why the bible would speak so highly of bread if it's bad in itself.   So I think the real problem is the processing and crud they do to wheat to make flour.

I think rice is ok with our family, we've always done well with it.   However, corn is something I react to a little, and I think my kids do, too... so corn is a product I want to wipe out , too.   I will keep potatoes, but not as an every day thing...

I also want to eliminate dyes.... and try to eat more whole foods.  (I think that means things with fewer ingredients..)   Slowly, might bring in organic, and I'm considering buying raw milk from a local guy instead of store bought.

I'm just really going to have to get hubby on board... especially for helping, because I'm pretty stressed and overwhelmed now, I can't even imagine adding baking my own breads and making my own convenience foods.

Ecoseem
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM

We avoid corn syrup and sugar like the plague.  I'm hypoglycemic and on the road to diabetes if I don't be careful, so we try.  We also do organic almost everything, and grow what we can in on our deck.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM

cleaning products???  Generally I clean with bleach water... yeah, I know... it's a chemical, but I don't clean with much else... so I don't think I'll eliminate that... although, I've switched to cleaning some stuff with vinegar.

Kaya529
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:01 PM
In many ways I have gone back to the way I grew up eating at my grandmothers house. When I became an adult I began eating the typical American diet. A couple years ago I began gardening. Since DS I have been changing slowly mostly due to money issues. I do have can and box food in the house but I try to use the fresh stuff as much as I can afford to. I make as much from scratch as I can. I try to do organic when I can afford to. The better off I am the more it changes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)