Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Behavior modification charts -little OT

Posted by   + Show Post
My 7 yr old will NOT stop complaining/ whining/ being rude. We have tried all sorts of things over the hard but I'm fed up!

I need ideas for a behavior modification chart JUST for those things. She has a rewards chart for daily things like wearing her glasses we also have a chart for punishment that is for anything (you get 2 warnings than a timeout, on your 3rd time out you are grounded).
I'm looking for something that is just for her complaining/ whining/ being rude. I've tried a rewards chart for it but it failed. I want a punishment chart but I need some ideas!
Visuals would be great!
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Replies (11-13):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:37 AM

We go "boot camp" lol Push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, and laps around the house (we live in a town house so I guess it's around 8 houses), and Hubby makes them do how ever many they were given until they're done right.
We start with sit ups after the warning. If they do it again its so many sit ups plus push ups, then so many of both plus jumping jacks. Very, very rarely does it get to having to running laps.
I now have the misfortune though of my kids love doing this suddenly and just start doing it on their own for no apparent reason lol

Quoting paganbaby:

We do push ups :-)

Quoting kirbymom:

You might try a physical activity for every complaint and every whine. Something where when a complaint is made, they have to hop on their weakest leg. That will boost their leg strength and tire them out at the same time. Then they have no rememberances for complaining. When they whine, they have to sing a silly song and walk in a rectangle pattern.

What you are trying to accomplish here is these actions are going to take their minds of of their negative thinking and give them something else to think and focus on instead if thinking of complaining or whining. Set their minds in a different direction. You have to stop them in mid thought! You can even possibly make it a tad funny just to shock their thought process at first.
Once they realize that this is what they will have to do, they will do less of the complaining and whining. Just remember, it will take time to get back to the road you want to be on. But you can accomplish this.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Quoting usmom3:

I have learned over the years that charts only work if the next reward is better then the last so we threw that out the window.

For behavior we have learned that modeling what we wish to see in our children has been the best way to get the results we want. So if we want them to be more polite & helpful we make sure to always be polite & helpful to them as well as everyone else so that they see us doing it all the time.

This..........also I think you may be overcharting them. You know rewarding themmfor doing thing shouldn't have rewards. Umm wearing yr glasses is a reward in itself because it helps you see better. My son is 6 and I do two punishments timeouts and physical activity. If he is not modeling a behavior that we want he does pushups or situps etc and then we explain to him y we want him to behave a certain way. Timeouts are a baby punishment and it helps us both "get away from a situation" for a few mins to calm down. He doesnt like it because he feels like im treating him like ababy so thats y its effective.

Honestly at 7 she should be able to do most things with consequence rather than rewards. I just think these days people are raising their kids to expect something for nothing. Chores werent paid when I was growing up we did them because we are a family and thats whats expected. If I wanted or needed money I would ask my parents and they would tell me what I needed to do to earn it. I wore glasses that young and I was expected to wear them so I did I wasnt rewarded for a normal behavior. If we behaved badly ws where immediatly given consequence not stickers and warnings like school Good luck with yr charts.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Hey I like that! I just might steal it,lol.

Quoting No_Difference:

We go "boot camp" lol Push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, and laps around the house (we live in a town house so I guess it's around 8 houses), and Hubby makes them do how ever many they were given until they're done right.
We start with sit ups after the warning. If they do it again its so many sit ups plus push ups, then so many of both plus jumping jacks. Very, very rarely does it get to having to running laps.
I now have the misfortune though of my kids love doing this suddenly and just start doing it on their own for no apparent reason lol

Quoting paganbaby:

We do push ups :-)

Quoting kirbymom:

You might try a physical activity for every complaint and every whine. Something where when a complaint is made, they have to hop on their weakest leg. That will boost their leg strength and tire them out at the same time. Then they have no rememberances for complaining. When they whine, they have to sing a silly song and walk in a rectangle pattern.

What you are trying to accomplish here is these actions are going to take their minds of of their negative thinking and give them something else to think and focus on instead if thinking of complaining or whining. Set their minds in a different direction. You have to stop them in mid thought! You can even possibly make it a tad funny just to shock their thought process at first.
Once they realize that this is what they will have to do, they will do less of the complaining and whining. Just remember, it will take time to get back to the road you want to be on. But you can accomplish this.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN