Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A few questions??

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM
  • 7 Replies

Has anyone used "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons"?

I spoke with a mom that has homeschooled all 3 of her children for awhile now.  She suggested to just focus on this lesson for the 100 days.  I have looked it over and and am ready to start in a few days.  My question is this: When using this did you also add other "subjects"? (Shapes, Colors, Numbers)  We have spent lots of time on those and he has mastered most.  Is it ok to just focus on the book for 20 minutes a day for the first 100 days or should I add some of the other in at a different time of the day?

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks,

Denita 

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry, I haven't used it.   In my mind it depends on the child, the age of the child, and their ability and interests.

For example, I have a child that can't seem to do as much as her siblings did at her age (5).    So far we are barely managing to do the following...

1.   Morning board (calendar board) with some hands on activities and a notebook that goes along with it.

2.  Time4Learning.com  (really simple and she watches PBS videos while using it)..

3.   A very small amount of tracing and fine motor skills practice.

This would NEVER be enough for a kindergartener in public school, however, it's really all I can get her to pay attention to and cooperate with.   Occasionally, she will be in a school mood and we can do more, like dot to dots, discuss something social studies related, discuss letter sounds, rhyme, or more.

My first, though, at three was doing a full curriculum and was starting to read words.   My second was doing all that by 4.

They are all different.   God made my 5 yr old Abby, and He will help her learn.   I just gotta hang on for the ride and hope that I honor Him in how I raise her.

So, I guess to answer your question, YES... if you want to just focus on those lessons for 100 lessons, then by all means... throw your heart into them and do them.   If you and the child seem to want more, add that in, too.

I'm sure there are state laws that disagree with me, but in Missouri, I don't have to school Abby until she's 7.   So there really are no "laws" to follow.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Hi. No, sorry, I haven't used it either, but as pp suggested, do what you feel is the best way for your child to learn.
1CynfulDlite
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Haven't used either but see how your child does with just the reading curriculum for a week or two if they seem interested in doing more then by all means don't hinder them or hold them back.  If they ask questions while working on reading then by all means jot the stuff down and go back to it later and get more info on the subject and make it a teaching/learning point for your child. 

Stevensd
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Thank you all for your replies! It's tough with him because he LOVES to learn! So I feel like just teaching for 30 min a day would hinder his interest if that makes sense!

I think I'm just going to test drive adding other things and see how he responds! 

Again, thanks so much!!

oredeb
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM

how old is your child, and is he ready to learn?

if ready teach him some othe subjects also, you can teach and make it fun, with my young ones i teach about 2 hours  a day and they are always comin and asking for more later in the day

Quoting Stevensd:

Thank you all for your replies! It's tough with him because he LOVES to learn! So I feel like just teaching for 30 min a day would hinder his interest if that makes sense!

I think I'm just going to test drive adding other things and see how he responds! 

Again, thanks so much!!

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I used a phonical rules based curriculum (LOE). I don't know much about the 100 easy lessons. I just swear by anything that teaches indepth rules. My kids didn't love it, but it got the job done after the school failed.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM
It depends on his age. An average 5 yr old learns more in a well planned 2 hour session than in a 8 hour "sit still and do all these workbooks" session. It should be fun, hands on, and include music and movement as much as possible. Spending 10-15 minutes on a reading lesson is much easier if you've done that. I personally did not like 100 easy lessons at all. My child hated it even more. There are more interesting ways to teach reading IMO.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN