Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay, so spend the least....

Posted by   + Show Post

On what subject/supply do you spend the least money?  And, again, why?  Is it unimportant?  Or is it just because you can hand it down?  Is it something that people  (parents, inlaws, another hsing family) give you consistently?

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

We haven't spent a lot of money in general and this is our first year so I don't know the pattern yet. 

We got math books from the book samaritan, foreign language from my parents for the kids' birthdays, grammar is free online, writing books I only paid shipping for, Science was a gift, history was borrowed from neighbors-and lots from the library as well. 

Wow!  That's seriously cool. You are one thrifty momma!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Art... I love art, I don't know why it always falls by the wayside....

We have an art group with our co-op, but it's $35.00 monthly per kid with about $150 supply fee per semester... it's just too expensive for the three I have that would be old enough to participate.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Reading at the moment.  She's just starting and we already have lots of books on hand. We also have several apps that she has been using for awhile now. I did buy a few reading games as she does best with lots of variety and games.

marrionsmommy
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Writing I dont spend a dime. He has writing in every subject its a little overkill to make him do more. If he needs more, like he wanted to learn cursive I just write it out for him and he copies.
celticdragon77
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Math 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Quoting KrissyKC:

Art... I love art, I don't know why it always falls by the wayside....

We have an art group with our co-op, but it's $35.00 monthly per kid with about $150 supply fee per semester... it's just too expensive for the three I have that would be old enough to participate.

Wow!  I don't think we have any classes with that high of a supply fee.  Hmmm.... maybe the stained glass one the high schoolers did last year.  I wouldn't feel able to spend that much either.

Oh and I hate art.  With a passion.  :-)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Reading at the moment.  She's just starting and we already have lots of books on hand. We also have several apps that she has been using for awhile now. I did buy a few reading games as she does best with lots of variety and games.

What reading games did you buy?  We love games!! 

I have like, nearly every book I've ever read because I'm a hoarder that way, so we have all the Dr Seuss, Sweet Pickles (yep, I just dated myself!), and other easy readers the whole way up to Riverside Shakespeare, Margery Kemp, and James Joyce, so I hope to only buy a few books a year.  (Did you hear that?  That sound was my husband laughing at that comment.)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Writing I dont spend a dime. He has writing in every subject its a little overkill to make him do more. If he needs more, like he wanted to learn cursive I just write it out for him and he copies.

Other than the handwriting without tears kindergarten book and the cursive book, I've never purchased anything either.  I like the idea of getting the basics down, but then practice is the only thing that will really help anyway.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Quoting celticdragon77:

Math 

Oh yeah, you were piecing together your math curriculum.  How's that going?  For me Math is the only subject I'm totally afraid to piece together.  Since it builds on itself all through, I'm afraid of missing something, so how do you make sure you are not missing anything?

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Handwriting...the books are freaking cheap! lol. Although, the majority of the upfront cost with almost everything that I'm getting now is high, but the one thing I look at when purchasing, is how much it will cost for Little Man, and everything is typically around $20 or less then. Typically all I need to get for him is the workbooks, and I have awesome friends and family who would probably just buy those for me if I put that down on my Christmas wish list lol (which they're so on the list already!! lol)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)