Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Okay, so spend the least....

Posted by   + Show Post

On what subject/supply do you spend the least money?  And, again, why?  Is it unimportant?  Or is it just because you can hand it down?  Is it something that people  (parents, inlaws, another hsing family) give you consistently?

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Replies (21-30):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Quoting No_Difference:

Handwriting...the books are freaking cheap! lol. Although, the majority of the upfront cost with almost everything that I'm getting now is high, but the one thing I look at when purchasing, is how much it will cost for Little Man, and everything is typically around $20 or less then. Typically all I need to get for him is the workbooks, and I have awesome friends and family who would probably just buy those for me if I put that down on my Christmas wish list lol (which they're so on the list already!! lol)

I do that with mine too, look at what it will cost for my younger 2 to just keep it going.  I sometimes wonder if I spend more now than I would just because the ones I buy can pass through all of the kids.

I wish my people would buy us stuff like that!  They'll get us instruments, art supplies, and technology (they actually gave the boys Tablets last year!) but not curriculum because they really don't agree with this homeschooling thing.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Definitely, the Arts. That's more like things we just pick up along the way.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Okay, just want to say......I leveled up to Gold!  yikes!  Do I spend too much time here?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Quoting mem82:

Definitely, the Arts. That's more like things we just pick up along the way.

Me too.  I found those big coffee-table art books (Da Vinci, MC Escher, Munch, etc) at yardsales and at Ollies for really cheap.  The supplies are pretty high though. (but really that's probably because they want to do tilework, beads, and embroidery this year.)

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:55 AM

My mom is weird. She is okay with us homeschooling for now - like the majority of the family because they know how bad the schools by me are - but theyre are convinced that homeschooling long term will be the worst decision and I will be ruining the kids' lives. So to make sure they "succeed" now, they'll buy whatever it is they need for school, as long as it is "for me." The kids get whatever they want within reason, but it won't pertain to school. All my Christmas and Birthday gifts (because I'm still spoiled lol) revolve around their curriculum.

With my friends - they're just awesome lol. One friend bough each  of the kids one piece of their curriculum for their birthdays this year. The kids were pretty stoked about it too :). They're all big on pushing for a better education. All the things we get for each other's kids have some educational purpose to them.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting No_Difference:

Handwriting...the books are freaking cheap! lol. Although, the majority of the upfront cost with almost everything that I'm getting now is high, but the one thing I look at when purchasing, is how much it will cost for Little Man, and everything is typically around $20 or less then. Typically all I need to get for him is the workbooks, and I have awesome friends and family who would probably just buy those for me if I put that down on my Christmas wish list lol (which they're so on the list already!! lol)

I do that with mine too, look at what it will cost for my younger 2 to just keep it going.  I sometimes wonder if I spend more now than I would just because the ones I buy can pass through all of the kids.

I wish my people would buy us stuff like that!  They'll get us instruments, art supplies, and technology (they actually gave the boys Tablets last year!) but not curriculum because they really don't agree with this homeschooling thing.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:05 AM

My mom and dad never say anything about the homeschooling, but I know they think we cannot afford it and that I am somehow wasting my education (it's okay to teach other kids, but using it to teach my own is wasting it?  Figure that one out!)  My MIL used to come out and say it's a bad idea, she also was one of those ones who quiz the kids for hours at every family function! 

My friends are awesome and they like my homeschooling, but we only give each other things we have made.  Since 2008, most of us have been hanging on by a thread.  So we get pickles, jams, jellies, sausages, beers, wine, blankets, sweaters, all kinds of really cool homemade stuff.  A friend of mine might teach my oldest to play piano if he wants to in a few years, but that's about it for that support.

Quoting No_Difference:

My mom is weird. She is okay with us homeschooling for now - like the majority of the family because they know how bad the schools by me are - but theyre are convinced that homeschooling long term will be the worst decision and I will be ruining the kids' lives. So to make sure they "succeed" now, they'll buy whatever it is they need for school, as long as it is "for me." The kids get whatever they want within reason, but it won't pertain to school. All my Christmas and Birthday gifts (because I'm still spoiled lol) revolve around their curriculum.

With my friends - they're just awesome lol. One friend bough each  of the kids one piece of their curriculum for their birthdays this year. The kids were pretty stoked about it too :). They're all big on pushing for a better education. All the things we get for each other's kids have some educational purpose to them.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting No_Difference:

jen2150
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Spelling and math. It just works out that way
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Once my friends all started having kids (I was the first, and boy did my daughter get SPOILED by them lol), it all became about the kids. It is almost like we do not exist anymore lol. With a few of my friends, who don't have kids, we do the homemade exchange too. I love it so much more than going out and buying something. Homemade items are one of a kind, and typically are useful and will be used lol.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My mom and dad never say anything about the homeschooling, but I know they think we cannot afford it and that I am somehow wasting my education (it's okay to teach other kids, but using it to teach my own is wasting it?  Figure that one out!)  My MIL used to come out and say it's a bad idea, she also was one of those ones who quiz the kids for hours at every family function! 

My friends are awesome and they like my homeschooling, but we only give each other things we have made.  Since 2008, most of us have been hanging on by a thread.  So we get pickles, jams, jellies, sausages, beers, wine, blankets, sweaters, all kinds of really cool homemade stuff.  A friend of mine might teach my oldest to play piano if he wants to in a few years, but that's about it for that support.

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting No_Difference:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM

We were the first to have kids too.  We really didn't get into buying the kids presents though.  I had someone comment on that last year at Christmas, he was so happy that we buy for each other because we get forgotten by everyone who does buy for the kids. 

I agree.  I love homemade stuff.

Quoting No_Difference:

Once my friends all started having kids (I was the first, and boy did my daughter get SPOILED by them lol), it all became about the kids. It is almost like we do not exist anymore lol. With a few of my friends, who don't have kids, we do the homemade exchange too. I love it so much more than going out and buying something. Homemade items are one of a kind, and typically are useful and will be used lol.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting No_Difference:

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Science! I got a bunch of really cool kits given to me by a homeschooling mom with older kids who was moving and didn't want to take them with her. We do those sometimes, but otherwise for science we study a topic at a time - get library books about it, find videos (Magic School Bus, documentaries, etc) to watch on the topic. Other than maybe some crafting supplies or printing a few pages here or there, we spend nothing on science right now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN