Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Things are coming together around here....

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:11 PM
  • 16 Replies

On Saturday, DD and I went shopping and found out the places we can get an educators discount!  We got one at BAM! and they constantly ask "are you using this in the classroom?"  The whole world is our classroom, we can use anything and everything!  That seems to be 20-25% off, not sure exactly it seemed different on different things.  We got a rebate kind of card at Staples, I think it's 5% back to spend in the store.  And we used our letter from the school district for 15% off at Michaels.

We got some good stuff and I don't think I really need to buy anything else! 

I requested 18 books and 2 dvd's from the library (is that normal?!) just for History for the first two weeks!

And the kids spent the day today with DH buying wood, measuring, cutting, and drilling...building us a homeschool bookcase!  Then the kids and I spent some time stocking the book case and organizing their cool new supplies my brother and his gf bought them for their birthdays!  (They seriously thought the big bins of supplies was the best gift ever!)

Do your kids love school supplies?  Are you ready for school?? (I know lots of you already start, or never stopped!)

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I love to read posts like this one!

kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

That is awesome!  Sounds like a great weekend.

D and I both love school supplies.  If he can play with it, color with it or make things out of it, he is all over it.  LOL!  We are working on week 3 and so far all is going pretty well.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM

My brother and his gf bought them some really cool things that I would not normally spend money on.  Like fun notebooks with characters on them (I get plain ones for 10 cents, lol) and cool erasers that are more like toys.  There were these rulers DD wanted, it like folds up inch by inch, that I said no to at the store..well she got one anyway!  Staplers with matching staple removers, fun colored pens, fancy pencils.  They got big bins like rubbermaid type bins, they are like 24x12 inches wide, and 6 inches deep and they were FULL of fun supplies.

It was lots of fun to open and organize everything!  They are so excited to get started!

Quoting kmath:

D and I both love school supplies.  If he can play with it, color with it or make things out of it, he is all over it.  LOL!  We are working on week 3 and so far all is going pretty well.

kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so cool that your brother did all that for them!  Those are all the fun supplies and it is awesome they could get them.  Sounds like you guys are totally set now!  LOL

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

My brother and his gf bought them some really cool things that I would not normally spend money on.  Like fun notebooks with characters on them (I get plain ones for 10 cents, lol) and cool erasers that are more like toys.  There were these rulers DD wanted, it like folds up inch by inch, that I said no to at the store..well she got one anyway!  Staplers with matching staple removers, fun colored pens, fancy pencils.  They got big bins like rubbermaid type bins, they are like 24x12 inches wide, and 6 inches deep and they were FULL of fun supplies.

It was lots of fun to open and organize everything!  They are so excited to get started!

Quoting kmath:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I was really surpised!  I am fairly certain my parents paid for it all, but it was a nice gesture either way.  I know my brother and his gf did all the shopping and everything. But my parents fully support them and their baby, so I'm sure my dad's credit card was used, lol.  But I try to appreciate the sentiment anyway.  And the kids were so excited. 

Now I just need a few things, but they are things that can probably wait.

Quoting kmath:

That is so cool that your brother did all that for them!  Those are all the fun supplies and it is awesome they could get them.  Sounds like you guys are totally set now!  LOL

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting kmath:

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

So at any given time I have 60+ books out of the library and multiple DVDs.  Do I request and have them held?  No, but I can usually find stuff to work.  So it's totally normal.  :)

Oddly, my kids don't share my passion for supplies.  Huh.

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

THAT IS AWESOME!!!

bouncing

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Cool!!   Sounds like a great day and terrific setup!!!

Are we ready???  We started 3 weeks ago... so I hope so... LOL!

Do they like supplies??   New supplies and curriculum get us excited, yes... sometimes it's better than Christmas.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM

OH, yeah, library books.   I have to limit my kids to about 15 books each week of their personal stash, and then I fill up their book boxes (on topic to what we are studying)... with about another 20.   I even get books out for the baby....

So, we usually get about 50-100 books every week.   We got REALLY sick once and I didn't renew or return them.   Our library charges 10 cents per book per day.....   I ended up owing $34.00 because of the flu... LOL!

Still cheaper than trying to buy them all.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm really excited. We will start next week, although DD has been so excited that I've been giving her a few things here and there as I work on planning and organizing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN