Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi, I am Rebecca. I mostly lurk and read when I get a chance. I have 4 kids ages almost 10, 6, 3, and 1. My 6 and 3 year olds are high functioning autistic. 

My 6 year old, during her developmental testing for autism, was noted to be at risk for a reading disorder or dyslexia. I have her in first grade. She is not able to read independently, and what she can read she struggles big time with. Phonics are difficult for her. Sight words are easier, but still difficult. Right now we are finishing up Explode the Code ABC books and will move into the next books when she is done. We also read BOB books together.

Does any one have experience home schooling a child with dyslexia? Can you recommend a reading curriculum? Do you have any advice? Should I look into hiring a tutor for her to learn to read?

She was just diagnosed today with asd and so she is only currently getting speech therapy and we are in the works to get her set up with aba. 

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:57 AM
Replies (11-12):
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I just want to toss out there that I thought we may have a dyslexic on our hands.  I was super concerned.  She was experiencing all the things you are describing.  I took her to the eye doctor and we found out that she had a convergence disorder.  It is essentially a lazy eye that doesn't want to stay were you want it to focus.  She did a bunch of exercises and we did the covering of the lines.  Then all of a sudden it has corrected itself.  She has gotten much better with her reading and comprehension.

I just wanted to say to make sure that you don't jump to any diagnoses while you are in the early stages here.  Let some of the issues try and work themselves out and see where you are in a few months.  Good luck!!!

by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:19 AM
She has been seen by a pediatric opthamologist. The doctor said her eyes are good. She goes back for a follow up in 2 weeks and I will ask again then.

Quoting coala:

I just want to toss out there that I thought we may have a dyslexic on our hands.  I was super concerned.  She was experiencing all the things you are describing.  I took her to the eye doctor and we found out that she had a convergence disorder.  It is essentially a lazy eye that doesn't want to stay were you want it to focus.  She did a bunch of exercises and we did the covering of the lines.  Then all of a sudden it has corrected itself.  She has gotten much better with her reading and comprehension.

I just wanted to say to make sure that you don't jump to any diagnoses while you are in the early stages here.  Let some of the issues try and work themselves out and see where you are in a few months.  Good luck!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)