Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Fall school stuff

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this

Im planning my fall stuff out and Im pretty excited! We move in December, so we will stop school around Thanksgiving. Im getting all my planning and materials done now so I can just focus on getting ready to move. 

We are doing a cute Johnny Appleseed unit. We are going to map his journey west for some geography. I have about 100 apple activities that I need to pick through. We are going to make apple butter or apple sauce. 

We are doing a mini ghost hunting unit too. Ghosts of all different shapes and sizes are going hide around the house and we need to find them all. We're going to graph them all by shape and size to see what kind of ghosts we have more of. The ghosts are all going to have letters on the back and we have to decode the message. 

I am working on thanksgiving ideas now. 

What fall school things do you have planned?

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I miss those days of themed units and fun, crafty projects! School was so much fun when mine were younger! With middle schoolers, there's just no way to make it cute, lol.  I remember a train unit we did where we made engineer hats and learned choo-choo songs and did cute things with cabooses...*sigh*. Now the most creative thing we do is our map work for History or our tectonic plate models for science.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I also have middle schoolers. We are just starting to HS this year so I missed all that fun unit study stuff...except when I worked in prek I got to do a lot of it, lol.

Our fall school things are focusing in the academics..math, writing, science, and history. I am still pretty excited though! I love planning and organizing, so I've been getting my fill lately ;). We start in exactly one week! Yikes!

Enjoy the fun crafty stuff!! And good luck with the move :)
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I can't seem to get these in with my older two doing everything they are doing and my kindy acting out as much as she is.   We are barely getting through morning board every day.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Awe ladies, you can do fun things with middle schoolers, too.  They are still just babies!!

In October we plan to read The Spooky Old Tree, De-Wuller-de-wust, Brer Rabbit Visits de Witch, Abiyoyo Returns, The Witches, and Why Spiders Live in Dark Corners. 

We're gathering leaves for a leaf book.

Our "book garden" changes from the beach scene with character studies to the graveyard with a plot study.

oredeb
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:21 PM

yea those themed fun stuff!!! i get to do them again, ive got a couple younger ones just begining school.! yea,fun ages!

your apple seed unit sounds lots of fun!! we've done apple seed ones a few times throughout the years,

we are gona start on a insect unit at the end of sept, all the bugs will be out running around.  we'll be doing a mural on the wall of an insect habitat, make some big ones out of cardboard, paper mache ones,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)