Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gotta do it all? (Edit)

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

Does anyone ever struggle with feeling like they've got to do it all?  I'm not talking about schoolwork, but social and extra activities? It's like the problem isn't not enough socialization, but too much socialization! :) 

Last year, we were very active in our homeschool group, and very active with the church, and very active with their extra activities.  In short, we were just very active.  Unfortunately, more and more of that took the place of school work.  I was able to justify a lot of it because it was all learning activities.  Still, it was way too much.  This year, I've decided to step back.  We'll still feel like we live at the dance studio most days, and we're still active with the church, but as I'm watching activities and classes be planned through our homeschool group, I'm realizing that I just can't do it all.  I kind of feel guilty about it, because I dont like to feel like I'm letting anyone down, but I know that I have to do what's best for my family.

Anyone else struggle with this?

Edit:  For me, it's not the extra activities - dance, music, 4H, etc - that I'm struggling with.  It's all the activities with the homeschool group.  Field trips are great, speech is great, playdates are great, Art and PE are also great.  I just can't do them all, all the time, KWIM? That's where I struggle the most.

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes!

I think that even though I consciously know the argument that they won't socialize and will be weird is wrong and silly, I still feel the need to get them "socialized."  LOL.  So we are in way too much.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this
My problem is feeling like she will miss out on something if we skip it. I know better but sometimes just get that feeling.
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess that is why being on a tight budget can be a good thing. There are all kinds of things that my children can do but we can't afford most of them so they don't get to do them because things like eating & having a place to live is more important then getting to socialize.

Ecoseem
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM

That's how I'm starting to feel.  Ds can't seem to get enough of sports, he's now in football, soccer, piano and yoga....I don't think I'm gonna make it through.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM
No, I'm a master of "no" lately. And it feels so good!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I'm having a hard time with this as well.  My SO has to constantly tell me "NO" when something comes up and it sounds fun.  He will let me do the cultural stuff, but ALL the extras are usually a NO.  I am learning to deal with this.  My girls are currently in swimming lessons and then factor in our skating and I am at the rink no less than 3 days a week.  It gets rough.  LOL

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Yes, I see the awesome things that the group offers, and I want to do it all.     However, I have limited us to the following this year:

IN CO-OP

Choir (two different kids in two different age choirs)

P.E.   (three kids able to all participate with diff. age groups at the same time in the same place!!!)

1 sport for each of the older two... (one is baseball, one is basketball... so it's nice they are usually opposite)

Field trip group (18 families from our group formed a mini group to do field trips and park days together)

IN CHURCH:

JBQ for the middle two (kindy and 4th grade)  They have class sunday AM, (we would be there anyway) and a meet once a month on a Saturday.

Youth for the middle school (eldest)

Wednesday family night programs (they earn badges and such... like scouting programs)

Christmas Musical production (just started working on this, and it's pretty intense!)

MotoStar
by Echo on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I almost always feel like I am doing everything when it comes to the kid's daily schedules. I kind of like it that way though. My hubby does take over after dinner and handles all of the bedtime routines!
jwhit8791
by Jessica on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Me, me, me!  I am involved in a Moms club ( I started back when DS#1 was 18 months) a mom to mom group, and now our co-op.  I have become almost a non-existant member in the moms club.  I used to be on the board and all that but no one there homeschools and I think this might be our last year with that.  It is nice to get out for the MNO sometimes. 

I am not sure what to do with the other two.  I mean the co-op is a no brainer.  I joined that for the kids so that they wouldn't feel like they were the only ones homeschooling and they all like it.  That is every other Monday.  I just found out that the mom to mom group is now going to be on Tues(it was Fridays) on the same week!  UGH.....I hate when things are back to back like that.  I am going to have to talk to DH and think long and hard on that one.  This one is mostly for me and they are doing a bible study this year so part of me really, really wants to go.  LOL  I guess that is a little selfish though.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM

We always start the school years off with loads of activities, then drop them bit by bit until we're down to just a few by the end of the school year. I  know things are crazy right now, but that's life. Even when we don't purposely make life crazy, it'll happen anyway! :)

So right now in addition to having school each day from 8:30 - 1, we have the following activities:
Monday - co-op classes from 11-3:30; night - cub scouts (2x/month)
Tuesday - art class, tumbling class, soccer practice
Wednesday - DH teaches the kids an art & design class from 11-12, then youth activity at church for the oldest in the evening
Thursday - girl scouts for the youngest (2x/month)
Friday - piano lessons, girl scouts for the oldest (1x/month) 

It's a little bit nuts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)