Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone ever struggle with feeling like they've got to do it all?  I'm not talking about schoolwork, but social and extra activities? It's like the problem isn't not enough socialization, but too much socialization! :) 

Last year, we were very active in our homeschool group, and very active with the church, and very active with their extra activities.  In short, we were just very active.  Unfortunately, more and more of that took the place of school work.  I was able to justify a lot of it because it was all learning activities.  Still, it was way too much.  This year, I've decided to step back.  We'll still feel like we live at the dance studio most days, and we're still active with the church, but as I'm watching activities and classes be planned through our homeschool group, I'm realizing that I just can't do it all.  I kind of feel guilty about it, because I dont like to feel like I'm letting anyone down, but I know that I have to do what's best for my family.

Anyone else struggle with this?

Edit:  For me, it's not the extra activities - dance, music, 4H, etc - that I'm struggling with.  It's all the activities with the homeschool group.  Field trips are great, speech is great, playdates are great, Art and PE are also great.  I just can't do them all, all the time, KWIM? That's where I struggle the most.

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Nope.
oredeb
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

awwww yes whats best for your family

im the opposite, i probably should be doing more, im selfish with my time

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:28 AM
You betchya I used to. Not as much now though. I was one of those that never could afford those extra activities and had to make do with what I could come up with at home, thereby making it like I just could never do enough to keep up with my idea of the kind of socialization I thought my kids had to absolutely have. Then, I found out.....They Don't!!!! My kids are as social as any social kid who is given all the "goodies" that are deemed for socialization. Maybe even more so. And I accomplished this without all that social stuff.
1CynfulDlite
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Funny I am the absolute opposite.  My child is being home schooled has never been to school and isn't socially awkward, he's very out going and plays well by himself.  I don't have him involved in anything and since I'm doing public school online about the ony things I'll be dealing with are any field trips that are set up for the school/class through out the year.  I have an 8 month old that is on the move right now so going out and keeping her pinned down is not an option unless I want her to be freaking out the entire time I have my son out for recreational activities.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I'm with you there!

Quoting usmom3:

I guess that is why being on a tight budget can be a good thing. There are all kinds of things that my children can do but we can't afford most of them so they don't get to do them because things like eating & having a place to live is more important then getting to socialize.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I don't really feel pressure to do too much because my son isn't very social at all. We go to the rec center everyday after school for snack. While I help the girls with homework he either stays to himself or bugs the other kids and I have to go get him :-/ But afterwards we go play at the playground and he socializes with the 7yo I babysit and sometimes other kids who are there.

We've tried church, martial arts, gymnastics, playing with kids in the neighborhood, he didn't take to any of them. So for now I'm okay with this.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM

We have more activities going on this year than we did last year.  We are now doing co-op on Tuesdays from 11:00-3:30.  Ds1 is taking Tae Kwan Do. Ds2 is playing soccer and starting next week, he will have 2 practices a week.  They have Wednesday night class at church and Sunday morning class.  Our co-op has lots of field trips, but we are only chosing a few to go on because of the budget.

amanda.lyn
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM
I agree, it can become overwhelming... We like to do it all too.
celticdragon77
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I wish I had more time and money for activities. The only thing my kids do right now is homeschool art classes at a local art college.

HappyHomestead
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Learning to say no was so hard for me. I am so glad I did learn to say no. Yes, you will hurt some feelings but it has to be done. Learning to balance things can be hard to do.

Quoting Boobah:

No, I'm a master of "no" lately. And it feels so good!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)