Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Am I pushing him too hard?

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:02 PM
  • 15 Replies

My son is 2 1/2. He has been counting for over a year. We had been doing daily "homeschool lessons" for about a month, but went out of town for a long weekend. Last night, we got in from out of town he said he wanted to do some school work. So I got out some worksheets and sat down with him. We've been working on very simple things. Writng a J (the first letter of his name), recognizing shapes (He can sort them and point out the shape when I say the name, but has been having trouble saying he names on his own) and drawing circles (he has the concept down, but the execution is still rough). 

Anyway, I asked him to count the points on a star and he says "1, 4... what's next?" He knows how to count. So I just told him it wasn't right and to try again. He starts whining and throwing a tantrum, which he never does. Today, he said he didn't want to do any school work, so I figured I would just give him a break.  I don't know what it is about being back home, but he's acting like he doesn't know anything anymore. We spent the weekend with my fiance, and the whole time, we would do little things to practice the things he's working on, just no structured sit down lessons.

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM

maybe thats your hint, you didnt do any structured lessons, he might just like to do them hands on, or impromptu, or when he feels like it now, as far as learning hes only 21/2 so hes got lots of time.

maybe when you count do it with items, like when your folding socks, setting the table with silverware, playing marbles, eating m and ms, counting rocks from outside, fingers toes, bugs, fun things, how bout teaching him some songs? verses, poems, kids have a great memory at this age things like that.

TexanMomOf6
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I never did sit-down official lessons at that age. I just sneak education in all the time. All his videos are educational. I do a running monologue about our day. We have a Magnadoodle and I draw a circle, he gets to erase it, then he draws one and I get to erase it.  We use dry erase on the bathroom mirror to write names. My LO just turned 3 and he can tell you what a square, rectangle, cube, hexagon, and pentagon are. He knows his full name, address, phone number, recognizes all the letters and their sounds, reads 45 words, knows about 300 ASL signs, learning a little Spanish, and lots more too. Make it play, not work.

Too much formal type schooling will burn him out quickly.   

mom2jasper
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM

He usually tries to count everything that is countable. Last night was the first time he had a problem with it. I even put little candies on the tips of the star and told him he could eat them as he counted. He wouldn't even try. He was getting so frustrated that he started yelling and crying. Before bed, we sang a few of his favorite songs and I thought he had calmed down, so I asked him how many fingers he had and he just showed me his hand and told me to count them. I really hope this is just a one day phase.  

Quoting oredeb:

maybe thats your hint, you didnt do any structured lessons, he might just like to do them hands on, or impromptu, or when he feels like it now, as far as learning hes only 21/2 so hes got lots of time.

maybe when you count do it with items, like when your folding socks, setting the table with silverware, playing marbles, eating m and ms, counting rocks from outside, fingers toes, bugs, fun things, how bout teaching him some songs? verses, poems, kids have a great memory at this age things like that.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a fan of early school.

But even I would say that 2.5 is a bit too young for any formal, structured lessons that he doesn't specifically ASK for (by all means, if he wants a lesson, give him one though). If he starts whining or doesn't want to do it, shelve it.

Classic example: My son has known his alphabet (visual recognition) since about that age - but around 3 he decided he was done learning about letters; I backed off. Now, at barely 4, he has taken off again (we do formal school at 4) - within a week he knew all sounds and was beginning his CVC words. No muss, no fuss.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mom2jasper
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Wow, I need to know more about your method! People always say how advanced my son is, but if they met yours, they would be in awe. He can identify all of those shapes, but can't say the names. (he has a speech impediment from being born tongue tied) We tried ASL with him, but can't get him interested. I think because we don't know it ourselves, and only used it when trying to teach him. Reading is a long way off since he only recognizes the letters in his name now, and only knows the alphabet song, not the actual alphabet.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

I never did sit-down official lessons at that age. I just sneak education in all the time. All his videos are educational. I do a running monologue about our day. We have a Magnadoodle and I draw a circle, he gets to erase it, then he draws one and I get to erase it.  We use dry erase on the bathroom mirror to write names. My LO just turned 3 and he can tell you what a square, rectangle, cube, hexagon, and pentagon are. He knows his full name, address, phone number, recognizes all the letters and their sounds, reads 45 words, knows about 300 ASL signs, learning a little Spanish, and lots more too. Make it play, not work.

Too much formal type schooling will burn him out quickly.   

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Personally, I suggest never trying to doa school lesson o a tavel day. Even if they ask for it, it will not go well.  I would just let it be fun for a while.  When it all cams down again (like next Monday) tr again.  Until then, sing songs, rhyme, play, find all the words yo can think of that start with the first letter of his name, etc.

mom2jasper
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I do most things informally now. We try to make everything a learning experience in some way, and take cues from what he's interested in at the time. He has been really into coins. He has a Disney world bank and I told him he can put coins in it to save up for a treat on our vacation at the end of September. So now he can recognize each coin, and understands more about how money works.

The only formal sitdown things we do is working with writing. And we are very new at that. I found a few workbooks with his favorite characters on them to keep it fun for him, and for the most part, he has enjoyed it so far. I thought we could get his whole name down in a week, but after almost 3 weeks of working on J, I'm just starting to consider moving to the next letter

Quoting AutymsMommy:

But even I would say that 2.5 is a bit too young for any formal, structured lessons that he doesn't specifically ASK for (by all means, if he wants a lesson, give him one though). If he starts whining or doesn't want to do it, shelve it.

Classic example: My son has known his alphabet (visual recognition) since about that age - but around 3 he decided he was done learning about letters; I backed off. Now, at barely 4, he has taken off again (we do formal school at 4) - within a week he knew all sounds and was beginning his CVC words. No muss, no fuss.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I say this gently.

Even intellectually advanced children have a hard time with handwriting... often until well after age 4. My own son is doing basic computation in math, beginning to read, knows his shapes and colors, numbers, etc - is in almost every way a kindergartner (at barely 4), and has been since about your son's age... but handwriting is very difficult for him. I do not know many (if any) 2 year olds capable of that kind of fine motor skills. At this age, there ARE things you can do in line with PRE writing activities - rolling dough to look at letters (but does he recognize, visually, his letters yet? That's the first step), letter boards, drawing in sand or shaving cream, etc.

Pencil/crayon grasp at this age is tricky at best.

Quoting mom2jasper:

I do most things informally now. We try to make everything a learning experience in some way, and take cues from what he's interested in at the time. He has been really into coins. He has a Disney world bank and I told him he can put coins in it to save up for a treat on our vacation at the end of September. So now he can recognize each coin, and understands more about how money works.

The only formal sitdown things we do is working with writing. And we are very new at that. I found a few workbooks with his favorite characters on them to keep it fun for him, and for the most part, he has enjoyed it so far. I thought we could get his whole name down in a week, but after almost 3 weeks of working on J, I'm just starting to consider moving to the next letter

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:29 PM
He sounds like he was tired from the trip and really wasn't ready for any brain work.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM
He may be bored with counting if he already gets it. I did lots of game type apps at that age. My Dd knows lots of math too but gets bored super easily.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)