Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Results from the psychologist who disapproves of hsing

Posted by   + Show Post

You might remember I took my 6 year old son for an ADHD assessment back in July and the psych was against homeschooling. We went for the results today. He does not have ADHD and he is fine emotionally. She said he was a very happy little boy. I had told her I did not want academic testing done, but it turns out she had given him an IQ test. He came out average in 3 of the 4 sections, but so low on the verbal part that overall his IQ scored very low. She diagnosed him with a severe language delay and recommends two speech therapies a week instead of one.

She wants to see him again in a year for academic testing and said that if he scores low then he'd need academic interventions, that is, a resource class in a school. Can she report me for neglect if I refuse special ed services? I am a certified regular ed teacher if that makes a difference. When she was talking about giving him lots of language immersion,I told her how we study and read up on things he's interested in. She got upset and said I have to follow the state curriculum. I'm registered as a private nonaccredited school.

And no,I will not go back next year.

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

If I where you I would go over the state laws with a fine toothed comb & make sure I knew it forward & backward so that if she did make a stink you would know your rights.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting usmom3:

If I where you I would go over the state laws with a fine toothed comb & make sure I knew it forward & backward so that if she did make a stink you would know your rights.

I just took a quick look and found out that HDSLA has a division just for SN and has lawyers to defend your right to hs. It says as soon as a problem comes up to contact their lawyers. Guess I'll need to join. 

LongBeachLiz
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Grade level is so subjective. It's OK if he doesn't fit into a box. As long as he is progressing and learning.
My grandmother didn't learn to read until high school bc she is dyslexic. She is a millionaire from the real estate market boom (before the burst). I would focus on the speech and keep doing what you do. I don't think academic testing will help. What if he just isn't good at taking tests? What good are the tests then?

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

No doubt. I would first see if you found someone friendlier to your choices and if not just fight it. In my area the school district is still responsible for all resources (you do pay for it with taxes). You can still homeschooling and get more speech therapy.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

Look at your state laws and find out what rightsand protections you have. Can you go to another therapist? I don't think taking a child with speech delay and throwing him in with the sharks will help him one bit. In fact it might hinder behavior bc of frustration.

I took him out of public school because of his speech problems. Sure don't want to be forced to put him back in.

I can use her report to justify more therapy with the insurance. She wants to do academic testing when he's 7 to see if he's on grade level, and if not wants him in special ed.

marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:31 AM
I wouldn t put too much stock in their iq test. My son went to the school to get tested for gifted scored above average for everything except verbal. He speaks very well, he ended up missing the gifted eligibility by 5 points. Turns out the entire test was given verbally and he didnt even get to pick up a pen or paper to answer one question or write one word. How can they measure what a kid knows if they dont ask him to read a book or write a sentence or answer a math problem? The school kept pushing me to put him in school and stop homeschooling. My son was doing 2nd grade work last year and they marked his score as average to above average but not good enough for gifted. By the way he was 5 when he was tested.

I asked him afterwards in the car why he couldnt answer some of the questions, he said he was jervous andndidnt know the lady. He met her for 1 min then was carted off into a back office with her for an hour. He said the first pic she showed him was of an hourglass she asked him what it was and he said a timer, she then said wrong, and marked a red x on the list. He said he was scared to answer wrong so he stopped answering if he wasnt sure.

uggggggggg I hate schools that dont understand how wonderful homeschooling is, my husband said I should have him retested but I dont want to put him through that again so whatever. Just wanted to say dont let them push u into somethibg you dont want. Good luck

*edited to add that the counselor actually said to me that he would be gifted if he was in school, but not while homeschooling. Wtf?

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

She can report all she wants... but you just keep your ducks in a row.   Keep your state requirements on homeschooling and keep samples of work to demonstrate that he is getting the therapies he needs and that he is showing growth and improvement.

She can report, but she cannot FORCE her opinion on you.   Especially if you are careful and prepared.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Quoting KrissyKC:

She can report all she wants... but you just keep your ducks in a row.   Keep your state requirements on homeschooling and keep samples of work to demonstrate that he is getting the therapies he needs and that he is showing growth and improvement.

She can report, but she cannot FORCE her opinion on you.   Especially if you are careful and prepared.

That's a good idea to make a portfolio of his work. It's not required here, but like you said, it will show his progress. He's also on Time4Learningso I'd have documentation from that.

I wanted to do more unschooling, but I think I'm going to have to be more traditional between needing to bump him up quickly and to show progress if I'm questioned.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Make sure that you aren't letting fear of her reporting you impact the way you want to home educate.   Reports are made all the time, but that doesn't mean that you aren't within your rights.   

Unschooling is possible, (i'm not an unschooler, though)... You can unschool and still keep really good records.   I would get in touch with some unschoolers in my area and have them show me what they do to keep the state law while unschooling.

Also, consider joining HSLDA just in case.   

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting KrissyKC:

That's a good idea to make a portfolio of his work. It's not required here, but like you said, it will show his progress. He's also on Time4Learningso I'd have documentation from that.

I wanted to do more unschooling, but I think I'm going to have to be more traditional between needing to bump him up quickly and to show progress if I'm questioned.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Quoting KrissyKC:

Make sure that you aren't letting fear of her reporting you impact the way you want to home educate.   Reports are made all the time, but that doesn't mean that you aren't within your rights.   

Unschooling is possible, (i'm not an unschooler, though)... You can unschool and still keep really good records.   I would get in touch with some unschoolers in my area and have them show me what they do to keep the state law while unschooling.

Also, consider joining HSLDA just in case.   

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting KrissyKC:

I belong to a local unschoolers group so I'll check with them. It's my first year so I'm kind of all over the place trying to find what works best for us.

oredeb
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM

good bluecalm!!! i like that last statement!!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!
Absolutely!

As long as you have the laws handy and know them, then NO ONE can make you do anything you don't want to. Period. And as Krissy said, keep some of the paper work and a couple of your activity books handy as well. These will show how your son is learning and progressing. Something else you should be aware of, as long as these type of people "think" they see you being intimidated by them, then they will keep pushing their will and agenda until you finally buckle under and give in and do things their way. Don't let them see you as nervous. Let them see you knowing your rights. Even if you are nervous. As long as they don't know that, you are the one in control of the situation and they won't be able to push you around. As for his speech, his verbal communication has nothing to do with his written communication. As long as he is making progress, then he is learning. Again, know your homeschool laws. That way no one can push you around.
I have had these type of people try and interfere in my life more times than I can count and they have always walked away knowing who was in the right and who was in control.
You can get through this. I promise. We are here to help and lend support when you need it sweety.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN