Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Results from the psychologist who disapproves of hsing

Posted by   + Show Post

You might remember I took my 6 year old son for an ADHD assessment back in July and the psych was against homeschooling. We went for the results today. He does not have ADHD and he is fine emotionally. She said he was a very happy little boy. I had told her I did not want academic testing done, but it turns out she had given him an IQ test. He came out average in 3 of the 4 sections, but so low on the verbal part that overall his IQ scored very low. She diagnosed him with a severe language delay and recommends two speech therapies a week instead of one.

She wants to see him again in a year for academic testing and said that if he scores low then he'd need academic interventions, that is, a resource class in a school. Can she report me for neglect if I refuse special ed services? I am a certified regular ed teacher if that makes a difference. When she was talking about giving him lots of language immersion,I told her how we study and read up on things he's interested in. She got upset and said I have to follow the state curriculum. I'm registered as a private nonaccredited school.

And no,I will not go back next year.

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Replies (21-30):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM
I agree with the others, just keep records of what he does to show progress. Some kids aren't on grade level, but if they are progressing then that it what matters. Keep him in the speech therapy. No one can force you to send your kid to school as long as you are providing education at home and following your state HS laws. Don't let her bully you or make you question your decisions to and how to HS.
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

She went ahead and tested him academically after you told her not to? I would switch Doctors for sure, for that reason. She is setting herself up to be your oversight and my guess is that there is no provision for a doctor to be that in your state laws.

Are you saying your son was diagnosed ADHD and this doctor said he no longer has it?

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:57 PM
No, he was tested for adhd but doesn't have it. Dh and I didn't really think he had it, but his geneticist was really pushing for him to be tested. At the first appointment I told her I wanted the adhd testing. She suggested the emotional health testing which I agreed to. We never discussed IQ testing so I was surprised when she gave me the results. I would have refused it if I'd known because kids with severe language delays don't do well on them.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

She went ahead and tested him academically after you told her not to? I would switch Doctors for sure, for that reason. She is setting herself up to be your oversight and my guess is that there is no provision for a doctor to be that in your state laws.

Are you saying your son was diagnosed ADHD and this doctor said he no longer has it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM
He was diagnosed a year ago with this rare chromo abnormality. Dh and I are having to learn to negotiate that fine line between getting him the medical care he needs and refusing testing that doctors push for but is unnecessary.

Quoting Bluecalm:

No, he was tested for adhd but doesn't have it. Dh and I didn't really think he had it, but his geneticist was really pushing for him to be tested. At the first appointment I told her I wanted the adhd testing. She suggested the emotional health testing which I agreed to. We never discussed IQ testing so I was surprised when she gave me the results. I would have refused it if I'd known because kids with severe language delays don't do well on them.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jlee4249
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Just like you would with any medical professional, get a second opinion. Sure, the results would be the same, but if you have another licensed mental professional that's pro-homeschool and gives the opposite of the other woman's instructions, then you're covered, should the woman raise a stink.
The first could report you to whomever but it wouldn't even matter... Just like disobeying one docs' orders when you're following the advice of another.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Quoting Jlee4249:

Just like you would with any medical professional, get a second opinion. Sure, the results would be the same, but if you have another licensed mental professional that's pro-homeschool and gives the opposite of the other woman's instructions, then you're covered, should the woman raise a stink.
The first could report you to whomever but it wouldn't even matter... Just like disobeying one docs' orders when you're following the advice of another.

Tht's a good idea. I bet one of my local hs groups could recommend a psych for the follow up next year. My doctor is also a pedi and used to see my son. She's pro hs so I could check with her too.

1CynfulDlite
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I say go with a HSing co op and see if any of them have teachers who are spec. ed. qualified and see if you can get one on one stuff done for your son either in home or in a small and I mean SMALL group environment. 

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Quoting 1CynfulDlite:

I say go with a HSing co op and see if any of them have teachers who are spec. ed. qualified and see if you can get one on one stuff done for your son either in home or in a small and I mean SMALL group environment. 

Good idea, but I am a certified teacher with tons of experience working with SPED students in a special program I taught for at risk students. This situation is aggravating me because I retired from teaching to hs. I could have continued teaching and kept him in one of the best public school districts in our state. If I'm forced to put him in public school, then he'll be at a much lower rated school which is the district where I live. I can't return to teaching public school in my state because of our retirement rules.

1CynfulDlite
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM

BAH what a PITA for you I'm so sorry.  I say go with the second opinion for sure and do what you're doing.  Work with him in a way that works best for him and for you.  Good luck and keep us posted.  I'd for sure request a copy of the records from the first Dr. and same from the second opinion.  Being armed with all the information will give you a leg up if the Dr./Therapist decides to make a stink about things with either the school board or child services.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting 1CynfulDlite:

Good idea, but I am a certified teacher with tons of experience working with SPED students in a special program I taught for at risk students. This situation is aggravating me because I retired from teaching to hs. I could have continued teaching and kept him in one of the best public school districts in our state. If I'm forced to put him in public school, then he'll be at a much lower rated school which is the district where I live. I can't return to teaching public school in my state because of our retirement rules.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 1CynfulDlite:

BAH what a PITA for you I'm so sorry.  I say go with the second opinion for sure and do what you're doing.  Work with him in a way that works best for him and for you.  Good luck and keep us posted.  I'd for sure request a copy of the records from the first Dr. and same from the second opinion.  Being armed with all the information will give you a leg up if the Dr./Therapist decides to make a stink about things with either the school board or child services.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting 1CynfulDlite:

She's sending me the report at the end of the week. I haven't given permission for it to be shared with his doctors yet until I see what it says. Isn't it ironic that she's against hsing because she doesn't think he will get enough socialization and yet the emotional testing shows he's fine? There are a number of local hs groups here and there are lots of opportunities for him to get together with other kids. He's also active at our church.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN