Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Results from the psychologist who disapproves of hsing

Posted by   + Show Post

You might remember I took my 6 year old son for an ADHD assessment back in July and the psych was against homeschooling. We went for the results today. He does not have ADHD and he is fine emotionally. She said he was a very happy little boy. I had told her I did not want academic testing done, but it turns out she had given him an IQ test. He came out average in 3 of the 4 sections, but so low on the verbal part that overall his IQ scored very low. She diagnosed him with a severe language delay and recommends two speech therapies a week instead of one.

She wants to see him again in a year for academic testing and said that if he scores low then he'd need academic interventions, that is, a resource class in a school. Can she report me for neglect if I refuse special ed services? I am a certified regular ed teacher if that makes a difference. When she was talking about giving him lots of language immersion,I told her how we study and read up on things he's interested in. She got upset and said I have to follow the state curriculum. I'm registered as a private nonaccredited school.

And no,I will not go back next year.

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Replies (31-40):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

If she persists in this, though, I would consider coming right out and asking if your differing beliefs about home education is going to disrupt the therapist/patient relationship that you are forming.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I'd never go back to her. If she's not a doctor to your son, she has no need to get access to his records! I'd make sure the pediatrician was clear on that!

I'd also seek a second opinion if it wasn't too costly. Or at least find someone else for later testing.

good luck! It sound like you are doing the right thing here.

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM

This somewhat depends on your state laws..

Remy11
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:46 AM
She could report you but the state will most likely do nothing with the report. Figure out your own ways to step up his socialization therefor giving him more opportunities to hear speech. Then they can not say you haven't done anything. I am a cPs worker and would find her report BS
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I had a similar issue with a doctor although it would not have an effect on my homeschooling status she did call CPS on me for not returning to her office for an appointment that I did not make.

I took my son to an ER for the issues she would not recognize (I know that would be silly in your case) so I had records tha  was getting him help.  Then I found a doctor with similar beliefs as my own (it took 3 different doctors before I found one that really fit perfectly with our situation).  I kept the records showing all of the doctors we had seen along with a statement from each of them as a "second opinion."  With the final doctor, he wrote a letter for me that actually accused the first doctor of over-stepping professional bounds and making "a case for malpractice" on the grounds of "lack of research and understanding of the medical condition in question." 

The first doctor had refused to release our records to that doctor (over-stepping) which made his diagnoses more difficult.  She had demanded a change in diet that is considered unhealthy by most leading dieticians (and we had 2 dieticians that also wrote letters to that effect).  And she had demanded an appointment under threat of calling CPS (which is actually not allowed in most states, they are actually not to even tell a parent they are calling.)

I kept all of that information, all the reports and letters, in a binder and when CPS showed up, I had all this proof that I was taking the condition very seriously, that we were making improvements (he had no more constipation, not more bloody stool, and he was gaining weight all with my course of action), and that another doctor had agreed with my assessment of the situation.

Although the CPS agent required visitations over that year, she did admit that there was really nothing that spoke of abuse and that she was only checking up because we were "homeless" (living with my parents was considered homeless, for the information of all those teen moms that live at home, crazy huh?)

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I had a similar issue with a doctor although it would not have an effect on my homeschooling status she did call CPS on me for not returning to her office for an appointment that I did not make.

I took my son to an ER for the issues she would not recognize (I know that would be silly in your case) so I had records tha  was getting him help.  Then I found a doctor with similar beliefs as my own (it took 3 different doctors before I found one that really fit perfectly with our situation).  I kept the records showing all of the doctors we had seen along with a statement from each of them as a "second opinion."  With the final doctor, he wrote a letter for me that actually accused the first doctor of over-stepping professional bounds and making "a case for malpractice" on the grounds of "lack of research and understanding of the medical condition in question." 

The first doctor had refused to release our records to that doctor (over-stepping) which made his diagnoses more difficult.  She had demanded a change in diet that is considered unhealthy by most leading dieticians (and we had 2 dieticians that also wrote letters to that effect).  And she had demanded an appointment under threat of calling CPS (which is actually not allowed in most states, they are actually not to even tell a parent they are calling.)

I kept all of that information, all the reports and letters, in a binder and when CPS showed up, I had all this proof that I was taking the condition very seriously, that we were making improvements (he had no more constipation, not more bloody stool, and he was gaining weight all with my course of action), and that another doctor had agreed with my assessment of the situation.

Although the CPS agent required visitations over that year, she did admit that there was really nothing that spoke of abuse and that she was only checking up because we were "homeless" (living with my parents was considered homeless, for the information of all those teen moms that live at home, crazy huh?)

Wow. That's scary. Thank goodness you kept records.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Remy11:

She could report you but the state will most likely do nothing with the report. Figure out your own ways to step up his socialization therefor giving him more opportunities to hear speech. Then they can not say you haven't done anything. I am a cPs worker and would find her report BS

He gets plenty of social interactions. There are lots of hs groups and activities here.If I added more they'd be complaining he wasn't spending enough time on lessons. :)
ambertreas76
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I gotta be honest.... I wouldn't worry too much.  You may want to ask other homeschool families for doc referrals.  Alot of homeschool parents have docs who are supportive of the lifestyle.  I would then call your current doc office and request records.  Make an appt with a supportive doctor who will not try to use their own beliefs to influence your life.  Too many doctors have a sense of superiority and control.  Take back your control.  Your life, your child, your rules.  Get a referral, change docs, cover your butt.  That's it.  The fact that you are a certified teacher is a huge bonus.  Don't let the fear tactics mess with you!!

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Quoting ambertreas76:

I gotta be honest.... I wouldn't worry too much.  You may want to ask other homeschool families for doc referrals.  Alot of homeschool parents have docs who are supportive of the lifestyle.  I would then call your current doc office and request records.  Make an appt with a supportive doctor who will not try to use their own beliefs to influence your life.  Too many doctors have a sense of superiority and control.  Take back your control.  Your life, your child, your rules.  Get a referral, change docs, cover your butt.  That's it.  The fact that you are a certified teacher is a huge bonus.  Don't let the fear tactics mess with you!!

I asked in one of my local groups and was given two referrals already. I think that's a good idea to switch doctors even if I never really use the new one. I don't see how she can make me get academic testing on him. It isn't covered by my insurance and I sure don't have $900 to pay for something I don't even want.

ambertreas76
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:41 AM
She can't. Its fear tactic bullshit because she doesn't believe in your lifestyle. Contact HSLDA.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting ambertreas76:

I asked in one of my local groups and was given two referrals already. I think that's a good idea to switch doctors even if I never really use the new one. I don't see how she can make me get academic testing on him. It isn't covered by my insurance and I sure don't have $900 to pay for something I don't even want.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN