Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Results from the psychologist who disapproves of hsing

Posted by   + Show Post

You might remember I took my 6 year old son for an ADHD assessment back in July and the psych was against homeschooling. We went for the results today. He does not have ADHD and he is fine emotionally. She said he was a very happy little boy. I had told her I did not want academic testing done, but it turns out she had given him an IQ test. He came out average in 3 of the 4 sections, but so low on the verbal part that overall his IQ scored very low. She diagnosed him with a severe language delay and recommends two speech therapies a week instead of one.

She wants to see him again in a year for academic testing and said that if he scores low then he'd need academic interventions, that is, a resource class in a school. Can she report me for neglect if I refuse special ed services? I am a certified regular ed teacher if that makes a difference. When she was talking about giving him lots of language immersion,I told her how we study and read up on things he's interested in. She got upset and said I have to follow the state curriculum. I'm registered as a private nonaccredited school.

And no,I will not go back next year.

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Replies (41-45):
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Sounds like she was out of line and unprofessional.  You may want to look into filing a complaint.  Her job is mental wellness not academia.   

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
So then no worries mama!! If forbid it ever happened feel free to message me and I can help you out with working with CPS to get them to go away quickly.. That's in the rate case they took on the case :)

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting Remy11:

She could report you but the state will most likely do nothing with the report. Figure out your own ways to step up his socialization therefor giving him more opportunities to hear speech. Then they can not say you haven't done anything. I am a cPs worker and would find her report BS

He gets plenty of social interactions. There are lots of hs groups and activities here.If I added more they'd be complaining he wasn't spending enough time on lessons. :)

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM
First is she qualified to give academic testing? Is she even qualified to give IQ testing.
Plus unless he scored extremely low (or high) on all areas the two actually have nothing to do with each other, and she should know that.

Academic testing needs to be done at a school or by people who specialize in academics, not psychiatry.

I ask if she's even qualified because I tried getting my son's IQ tested but I had to go to a special psychiatrist (which was so far, it just wasn't worth it because we have no gifted programs anyways)

She is over stepping her boundaries. You were there for a ADHD dx and she decided to go in a complete different direction.
You know he has a speech delay and he's getting help for that. The speech therapist would tell you if she feels he needs more and she is the one qualified to tell you that not that therapist.

I would sign a release at your regular doctor's office for the report. Make sure It's just going one way. Actually if your regular doctor sent you there by referral you shouldn't have to sign a release, she should have to just send it.

I definitely would not go back to her. Chances are she will not remember you in a year and the file will just get filed. That's why they tell you to come back in a year because if she has a good client base, there's no way for her or the office staff to remember when everyone is supposed to schedule appointments unless they have the chart in hand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM

She just wants him in school and doesn't like that you are doing an awesome job! you can always enroll him in k-12 which is free and state certified.

by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Sheesh. A guy in her office just called and asked if I'd sent the medical release yet for the psych to send the report to his pediatrician. I said no, I wasn't signing a release until I had read the final report and he told me that wasn't the way it works and he'd have to see what the psych said about that. I'm not going to put something in his records when I don't know what it says.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)