Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Results from the psychologist who disapproves of hsing

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM
  • 45 Replies

You might remember I took my 6 year old son for an ADHD assessment back in July and the psych was against homeschooling. We went for the results today. He does not have ADHD and he is fine emotionally. She said he was a very happy little boy. I had told her I did not want academic testing done, but it turns out she had given him an IQ test. He came out average in 3 of the 4 sections, but so low on the verbal part that overall his IQ scored very low. She diagnosed him with a severe language delay and recommends two speech therapies a week instead of one.

She wants to see him again in a year for academic testing and said that if he scores low then he'd need academic interventions, that is, a resource class in a school. Can she report me for neglect if I refuse special ed services? I am a certified regular ed teacher if that makes a difference. When she was talking about giving him lots of language immersion,I told her how we study and read up on things he's interested in. She got upset and said I have to follow the state curriculum. I'm registered as a private nonaccredited school.

And no,I will not go back next year.

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I want to add that I have known he had a severe language delay and he started speech in early intervention. This wasn't news to me and he already had that diagnosis.

Ecoseem
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Do you think she is one who will cause a stink if you do not take him back?

LongBeachLiz
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Look at your state laws and find out what rightsand protections you have. Can you go to another therapist? I don't think taking a child with speech delay and throwing him in with the sharks will help him one bit. In fact it might hinder behavior bc of frustration.
acrogodess
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Look up the laws in your state. Some states do provide speech therapy in the home or just have you bring him into the local school district office even if you homeschool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Quoting Ecoseem:

Do you think she is one who will cause a stink if you do not take him back?

Maybe. She wants to have access to his medical records so his doctors can let her know how he is doing.I haven't given permission.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

Look at your state laws and find out what rightsand protections you have. Can you go to another therapist? I don't think taking a child with speech delay and throwing him in with the sharks will help him one bit. In fact it might hinder behavior bc of frustration.

I took him out of public school because of his speech problems. Sure don't want to be forced to put him back in.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting acrogodess:

Look up the laws in your state. Some states do provide speech therapy in the home or just have you bring him into the local school district office even if you homeschool.

He gets private speech paid for through insurance.  I think my state does offer hsers speech at school, at least it used to.

LongBeachLiz
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:09 PM
No doubt. I would first see if you found someone friendlier to your choices and if not just fight it. In my area the school district is still responsible for all resources (you do pay for it with taxes). You can still homeschooling and get more speech therapy.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

I took him out of public school because of his speech problems. Sure don't want to be forced to put him back in.

acrogodess
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM
2 moms liked this
So, let her report you then. He is getting proper treatment and you're a teacher. :-)

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting acrogodess:

He gets private speech paid for through insurance.  I think my state does offer hsers speech at school, at least it used to.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

No doubt. I would first see if you found someone friendlier to your choices and if not just fight it. In my area the school district is still responsible for all resources (you do pay for it with taxes). You can still homeschooling and get more speech therapy.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

I can use her report to justify more therapy with the insurance. She wants to do academic testing when he's 7 to see if he's on grade level, and if not wants him in special ed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)