Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are you looking forward to this school year?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:52 AM
  • 21 Replies
Anything?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:54 AM
I'm looking forward to another year of great stories, literature, art, crafts, and honoring childhood. I'm excited to teach myself recorder (refresh, I should say) so I can model and teach her. The knitting projects, the water color paintings. Mostly, the rhythm of school and home!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jwhit8791
by Jessica on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Does it count if I say having this baby so I have more energy for schooling?  LOL

I love reading with my oldest.  Right now we are reading Charlotte's Web and he loves it!  He loves snuggling up with me a chapter books.

xomrs.chase
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Ds is 20mo- so no official "schooling" yet.

I'll continue the following:
Reading, crafts, busy-bag type activities, adventures outside, and just every day learning through experience.

He's very bright. I'm thinking of adding a pre-school type structure next year.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:00 AM
I could barely move when I was pregnant, I had zero energy! Read lots of snuggly chapter books :)

Quoting jwhit8791:

Does it count if I say having this baby so I have more energy for schooling?  LOL

I love reading with my oldest.  Right now we are reading Charlotte's Web and he loves it!  He loves snuggling up with me a chapter books.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:02 AM
I know I just commented on a similar post somewhere else, but I'd like to chime in again :)
Learning through play is better than any preschool structure you can come up with in the first 4-6 years.
If you feel inclined, check out the book "simplicity parenting" or living simply with children.

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Reading, crafts, busy-bag type activities, adventures outside, and just every day learning through experience.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xomrs.chase
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Thank you- I'm open to help! (Lol)

I worry too much. For fun, I looked up a basic preschool curriculum... and most of what was listed- he has already accomplished.

I just want him to feel challenged and not held back- kwim? I'd never push him at this age- but I do want to expose him to things on his level or even *just* above to see where it takes us.

My biggest fear with his education is breezing through like my sister did, then having a breakdown in college. (My reason for homeschool). He's very bright, just like she is.

I'll look into what you suggested, thank you.

Quoting Boobah:

I know I just commented on a similar post somewhere else, but I'd like to chime in again :)

Learning through play is better than any preschool structure you can come up with in the first 4-6 years.

If you feel inclined, check out the book "simplicity parenting" or living simply with children.

Quoting xomrs.chase:

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Our school curiculum isn't too taxing..........well if I did everything it might be.  I am 4 weeks in and still trying to find a balance.  LOL  My dumb foot keeps swelling up on me so that slows me down a lot.  We don't even have a PE time which I did want to add this year, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

He is 6 and is still struggling(?) with reading.  He can do short books but we are still working on it.  He isn't reading by himself yet and the core we are using doesn't seem to require it at this stage, but reading some of the posts on here, maybe he should be! 

Quoting Boobah:

I could barely move when I was pregnant, I had zero energy! Read lots of snuggly chapter books :)

Quoting jwhit8791:

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM
I've never heard of the "Moore method" but this article gives a good summary of why you don't need to worry :) I'm sorry I can't make it clicky!

http://www.fpea.com/delayed-academics/

Quoting xomrs.chase:

I worry too much. For fun, I looked up a basic preschool curriculum... and most of what was listed- he has already accomplished.

I just want him to feel challenged and not held back- kwim? I'd never push him at this age- but I do want to expose him to things on his level or even *just* above to see where it takes us.

My biggest fear with his education is breezing through like my sister did, then having a breakdown in college. (My reason for homeschool). He's very bright, just like she is.

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xomrs.chase
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Thank you.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, but reading and research never hurt anyone.

Quoting Boobah:

I've never heard of the "Moore method" but this article gives a good summary of why you don't need to worry :) I'm sorry I can't make it clicky!

http://www.fpea.com/delayed-academics/

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting xomrs.chase:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I am looking forward to hsing! Since its our first year, I have a lot of anxiety but I am so looking forward to it and everything that comes with it! I love that I will see my kids all day, that I will know what they are learning and that I will see them learn it! No bullying, no bad influences, no indoctrination ;). We have lots to look forward to this year!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)