Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are you looking forward to this school year?

Posted by   + Show Post
Anything?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:41 AM
No, he is doing fine! All kids read at different ages. Allow him to develop it at his own pace so he learns to love reading :)

Quoting jwhit8791:

Our school curiculum isn't too taxing..........well if I did everything it might be.  I am 4 weeks in and still trying to find a balance.  LOL  My dumb foot keeps swelling up on me so that slows me down a lot.  We don't even have a PE time which I did want to add this year, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

He is 6 and is still struggling(?) with reading.  He can do short books but we are still working on it.  He isn't reading by himself yet and the core we are using doesn't seem to require it at this stage, but reading some of the posts on here, maybe he should be! 

Quoting Boobah:

I could barely move when I was pregnant, I had zero energy! Read lots of snuggly chapter books :)

Quoting jwhit8791:

Does it count if I say having this baby so I have more energy for schooling?  LOL

I love reading with my oldest.  Right now we are reading Charlotte's Web and he loves it!  He loves snuggling up with me a chapter books.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I wholeheartedly, one hundred and twenty nine percent, agree with this!!!

I have four kids.   My first was litereally able to read on her own at three.   My second could read just a little before kindy.    My third is my wild child.   She is much more physical and social, so she is just now really starting to work on her letter sounds on our third week of official "kindergarten" at home.   My fourth?  I think he's going to amaze us, because he already answers questions (verbally) and puts two words together once in a blue moon... (14 months)... although, its hard to realize sometimes that he's saying stuff with all the chaos that four kids bring to our home.

Quoting Boobah:

No, he is doing fine! All kids read at different ages. Allow him to develop it at his own pace so he learns to love reading :)

Quoting jwhit8791:

Our school curiculum isn't too taxing..........well if I did everything it might be.  I am 4 weeks in and still trying to find a balance.  LOL  My dumb foot keeps swelling up on me so that slows me down a lot.  We don't even have a PE time which I did want to add this year, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

He is 6 and is still struggling(?) with reading.  He can do short books but we are still working on it.  He isn't reading by himself yet and the core we are using doesn't seem to require it at this stage, but reading some of the posts on here, maybe he should be! 

Quoting Boobah:

I could barely move when I was pregnant, I had zero energy! Read lots of snuggly chapter books :)

Quoting jwhit8791:

Does it count if I say having this baby so I have more energy for schooling?  LOL

I love reading with my oldest.  Right now we are reading Charlotte's Web and he loves it!  He loves snuggling up with me a chapter books.

gummibear
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM
I have a book called Fun with Mommy & Me by Dr Cindy Bunin Nurik it has game it says from birth to 5. I love it. You should check it out. It is very interactive. http://www.amazon.com/Fun-Mommy-Me-Together-Time-Activities/dp/0525946209/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377706916&sr=8-1&keywords=fun+with+mommy+and+me
Quoting xomrs.chase:

Ds is 20mo- so no official "schooling" yet.

I'll continue the following:
Reading, crafts, busy-bag type activities, adventures outside, and just every day learning through experience.

He's very bright. I'm thinking of adding a pre-school type structure next year.
xomrs.chase
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Thanks!

Quoting gummibear:

I have a book called Fun with Mommy & Me by Dr Cindy Bunin Nurik it has game it says from birth to 5. I love it. You should check it out. It is very interactive.
http://www.amazon.com/Fun-Mommy-Me-Together-Time-Activities/dp/0525946209/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377706916&sr=8-1&keywords=fun+with+mommy+and+me

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Ds is 20mo- so no official "schooling" yet.

I'll continue the following:

Reading, crafts, busy-bag type activities, adventures outside, and just every day learning through experience.

He's very bright. I'm thinking of adding a pre-school type structure next year.
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I'm really just looking forward to seeing what happens.  We've got an exciting year of science planned and my kids' best friends are joining us, so that will make it even more fun.  I'm excited about watching my kids grow and improve.  One of the neatest things last year was finding out that my daughter had passed her state reading test, when she has been so far behind.  In fact her public school teacher told us it would take a couple of years for her to catch up. :)  I'm excited about watching them get excited about learning.  I'm excited about seeing my son take more and more responsibility for himself and his work. I'm excited about their music classes and the opportunities they present.  I'm just excited :)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
As you should be!!

Quoting Pukalani79:

I'm really just looking forward to seeing what happens.  We've got an exciting year of science planned and my kids' best friends are joining us, so that will make it even more fun.  I'm excited about watching my kids grow and improve.  One of the neatest things last year was finding out that my daughter had passed her state reading test, when she has been so far behind.  In fact her public school teacher told us it would take a couple of years for her to catch up. :)  I'm excited about watching them get excited about learning.  I'm excited about seeing my son take more and more responsibility for himself and his work. I'm excited about their music classes and the opportunities they present.  I'm just excited :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmyMamie
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Generally, I'm looking forward to lots of happy moments exploring and learning, watching the boys' laughing faces as we do fun projects, and being a part of their whole learning experience.  I love that I don't have to send them away every day!  Specifically, I'm really excited about our family field trip next month to an apple festival - we'll learn a lot, go through the corn maze, taste goodies... and have some wonderful memories. :)

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I'm looking forward to learning about prehistoric sharks and what ever else strikes ds's fancy ;-)

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I know what you mean! I read that some mom's 6 and 7 year olds are reading Harry Potter and my jaw hit the floor... My 6yo dd is just reading Go Spot Go,lol.

Quoting jwhit8791:

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting jwhit8791:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I'm looking forward to tile-work.  My sons have complained that we have covered painting and sculpture to the point of boredom (K12 really does hammer the painting), so they want to learn mosaic tile, beadwork, and embroidery as our art lessons this year (finally some art I'm good at!)  I'm excited to change up ur art stuff now that we are doing it on our own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)