Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If you teach or have taught a foreign language...

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:42 PM
  • 6 Replies

If you have taught a foreign language, when did you first begin?

I have heard the younger the better, but then I have also heard that they could be overwhelmed too young.

Thoughts? Experiences? Advice? 

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I just started second language. My daughter is 5 and in kindergarten this year. We are learning Spanish basic. Just her level what ever she can take it. No pressure.

We use http://wp.me/p3wWiR-1J

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I learned as a very small child.  But it was experiential,  because my grandmother spoke only Spanish.  It was not overwhelming at all.  In fact it was it I could think in two different languages with feeling.  For example, Mi vida  translates to my life  in English.  But, that  is not the feeling one has when they say it to their significant other.    I knew a 5 year old that spoke Chinese, Spanish and English fluently.  

How The Brain Benefits From Being Bilingual

P.S. The words I learned first were the words that were important to me....I am hungry, I am cold, please pass me the butter, milk, sugar, beans, ext. 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Younger is way better. I'm very lucky that DH is French he only speaks French to the kids.  It is AMAZING what they understand and that they understand that mommy speaks English and daddy speaks French.

They don't mix up languages and even correct me when I'm saying something in French incorrectly.

Start with music!!! It's amazing how quickly they'll start singing along.  Then add read along books (if you can find them) and even movies, turn it to the desired language and subtitles (or CC on your TV) in that language.

It really depends on the language too.  DH also speaks Spanish but we figured it would be easier for them to have exposure to Spanish than to French.  We also signed up for mom & baby type classes at the French Alliance on Saturdays, they did crafts and songs, etc. DH took her.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:45 AM

We started my oldest in second grade, my middle and youngest are getting introduced a bit earlier.  To keep them from being over-whelmed, we only do oral work!!  Usually the confusion comes from trying to remember the sounds of the vowels which are fairly different in the different languages.  As long as you keep it oral, you can start very young.  My pre-k 4yo, and my 1st grader are learning Spanish through Lightning Fast Spanish, and they are loving it!

FootballFan12
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think younger is better too, I just need to find a program that we will work for us.
Roo1234
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I'm not a teacher, but I will tell you from personal experience that Tibet is far better. I've tried the Times in my life to learn another language, still can't speak any of them even with years of study. however, all the of my chef l children have been exposed to Spanish and Hebrew since they started school at age 5 and they are very proficient at both.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)