Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I had my first day of school!!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

My approach is ecclectic, with an appreciation for the idea of unschooling.

Day 1 with ds went well! He was allowed to play on this website called Lumosity while I took his sister to the bus stop. When I came back in, we started with reading. He read an article on Jackie Joyner-Kersee, answered a few questions, wrote a one-sentence summary. And he looked up 5 vocab words from teh story.

Then he helped me organize some of his school supplies and had a snack.

Then we did a little over an hour of math! Math is really hard for him. In one day, I"m about ready to throw out the teacher's manual. I think we'll jsut do the work book pages and refer to the text if we need it. But having him do problems seems more beneficial than reading the text book and trying to do mental math (he can hardly do mental math at all - I'm quite sure he has dyscalculia)

He researched turtles on-line because he wants a pet tutrtle. He read the Humane Society website which said turtles are not pets and you should avoid getting one, they can carry salmonella, people often let them go outdoors and they can die or become invasie species, etc... So, he wrote that down in his science journal. Then he got off on a tangent of invasive species and looked up those flying carp in the midwest rivers, and then looked up Flying FIsh in the Asian oceans. He wrote about both in his science journal.

We took a field trip to Petco and bought a better aquarium for the beta fish (it's been living in a tiny plastic tank with no filter or anything) because he read they need more space and a filter. We set up new aquarium.

Then, we finished another page of math.

Now he's listening to music on his headphones.

All-in-all, I think he did more than he'd have done academically than in the public school! Several pages of math, actual thought on ecosystems, and reading and a little writing.

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:56 PM

That rocks!  Congrats on an awesome day!

mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM
That's awesome!!!
oredeb
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM

wow so neat!!! great job mom!! how old is your son?

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:44 PM

That is awesome.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM

he is 9 - would have been in 4th grade. We're starting half way through 3rd on the math curriculum.

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM

sounds exciting!!

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM

That's a great first day!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN