Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I don't know what to do.

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi, Destinay and I had her first day of homeschool today. We had no interruptions, it went great. Destinay had no distractions, no phone calls, no tv and she did better than I expected. Then my sister called and asked me to watch her kids in the morning. I live in Central Falls, Rhode Island legally I have to teach 5 hours per day. Destinay does better with just being us. Even with her brother here she gets distracted and avoids challenging things. They are cracking down here I even have to submit monthly plans and have recent work when they want it. I don't know if Central Falls is overstepping their boundaries but I am joining the HSLDA. I want to help my sister but I'm afraid of not meeting my daily requirements. Any advice is appreciated, oh and tomorrow will be her second day of homeschool.
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM
2 moms liked this

It's important you set boundaries for your school situation if that's what you need.  If you are legally required to home educate 5 hours out of the day, then you really have to say, "Sorry, sis.  We just started HSing today and I can't just NOT school her tomorrow morning.   If it's possible I could watch them later in the day or on the weekend, I could help."

Don't be afraid to set boundaries on your time together.    Again, I would base that on my sister's need, too.  I mean, if she is needing surgery and has no one else to watch the kids, that would be different.   If it's something she needed to have planned better or just WANTS to do... then no.. I wouldn't.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Besides, it's your second day and your sister is already showing that she's not going to be very respectful of your homeschooling process.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:25 PM
This. Completely.

Quoting KrissyKC:

It's important you set boundaries for your school situation if that's what you need.  If you are legally required to home educate 5 hours out of the day, then you really have to say, "Sorry, sis.  We just started HSing today and I can't just NOT school her tomorrow morning.   If it's possible I could watch them later in the day or on the weekend, I could help."

Don't be afraid to set boundaries on your time together.    Again, I would base that on my sister's need, too.  I mean, if she is needing surgery and has no one else to watch the kids, that would be different.   If it's something she needed to have planned better or just WANTS to do... then no.. I wouldn't.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM

My sister just didn't understand that homeschooling is actual school. I couldn't just drop what I was doing to have a chat with her. She figured since I was home, my schedule was wide open. My advice is set your boundaries now.

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:53 AM
She isn't respectful about homeschool time. She works a temporary job, and her daycare provider can't do it today. So my Dad is taking care of her kids and she wanted me to help just in case. My Dad is perfectly capable of taking care of her kids. He needed advice but she's not totally desperate. He has crafts for them to work on, they are going to build a castle with Lincoln Logs, I mean he has them set up right. He just isn't used to taking care of both kids alone, but he will be fine.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this
That is exactly what I'm talking about. A lot of people think that it is an actual school where we need time teaching. I mean how many people would call their friend who is a teacher in a regular school to chat? I screen my calls to avoid disruptions.

Quoting paganbaby:

My sister just didn't understand that homeschooling is actual school. I couldn't just drop what I was doing to have a chat with her. She figured since I was home, my schedule was wide open. My advice is set your boundaries now.

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I allow no one in my house and I turn off the phones between certain hours. School is school. It is equally important no matter where it is done.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:29 AM

If you do not set boundaries for your school time, it will drive you nuts.  I would firmly explain to her that your school is the same as school at a brick&mortar school and you cannot take on extra kids. 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I think everyone really nailed it - you have to set boundaries, and the earlier you do it, the easier life is going to be for you.  I think that was part of my problem last year, I said yes to almost everything, when I should have been saying no.  Homeschooling is your job right now.  You wouldn't agree to watch her children while you were at a paying job, so dont do it with your homeschooling "job."  There's always exceptions, especially in emergency situations, but I cannot tell you how many times I'm asked to babysit "just this once."  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN