Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Hi, Destinay and I had her first day of homeschool today. We had no interruptions, it went great. Destinay had no distractions, no phone calls, no tv and she did better than I expected. Then my sister called and asked me to watch her kids in the morning. I live in Central Falls, Rhode Island legally I have to teach 5 hours per day. Destinay does better with just being us. Even with her brother here she gets distracted and avoids challenging things. They are cracking down here I even have to submit monthly plans and have recent work when they want it. I don't know if Central Falls is overstepping their boundaries but I am joining the HSLDA. I want to help my sister but I'm afraid of not meeting my daily requirements. Any advice is appreciated, oh and tomorrow will be her second day of homeschool.
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Replies (11-13):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM
I agree. I get caught up saying yes too many times.

Quoting Pukalani79:

I think everyone really nailed it - you have to set boundaries, and the earlier you do it, the easier life is going to be for you.  I think that was part of my problem last year, I said yes to almost everything, when I should have been saying no.  Homeschooling is your job right now.  You wouldn't agree to watch her children while you were at a paying job, so dont do it with your homeschooling "job."  There's always exceptions, especially in emergency situations, but I cannot tell you how many times I'm asked to babysit "just this once."  Good luck!

amanda.lyn
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Awe, I disagree. Would your sister be there if you needed her? If so, then help her. You said she has a regular sitter, so this isn't going to be everyday. The beauty of home schooling is flexibility. Start school earlier that day, or finish later. Take the kids outside to play tag. Count it as an hour of gym. Do a group craft project, or paint pictures, there's another hour, art. Play an eductional game, its doable.
Mommynay2
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Hi actually my sister wouldn't be there for me and I wouldn't ask. See she has a tendency to put me down. She criticizes me about how I raise my children due to me homeschooling and I don't hit them and I try to relate to them rather than discipline them for every difference of opinion. She talks about me behind my back. Plus her son is very aggressive and almost hit my son with a big plastic Paper Jams guitar and her daughter can be very sneaky and tries to pick on Destinay. Both of them don't listen to directions even when they are clear and laid out properly. Plus she tries to take advantage of me. She asked me to watch her kids for like 5 minutes according to her and came back like an hour later. She has night hot water in her house I agreed to let her wash her daughter's hair at my house. She trashed my house and left. I love my sister but she really takes advantage of any kind act I do for her. Plus I live in Rhode Island, and it is one of the most unfriendly homeschool state and I have to teach Destinay 5 hours per day and she gets distracted with others and the day would of been a waste.

Quoting amanda.lyn:

Awe, I disagree. Would your sister be there if you needed her? If so, then help her. You said she has a regular sitter, so this isn't going to be everyday. The beauty of home schooling is flexibility. Start school earlier that day, or finish later. Take the kids outside to play tag. Count it as an hour of gym. Do a group craft project, or paint pictures, there's another hour, art. Play an eductional game, its doable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)