Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you have a designated homeschooling space?

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM
  • 27 Replies

Do you have a designated homeschooling space or 'classroom'?

We only have a computer niche and alcove that we can use. It works for now, but I'm wondering what everyone else has.

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

My dining room, but we spillover.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM
We use to have a spot set aside until we moved.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:39 AM

My living room is extra long one direction, so we bought a sectional couch and don't have it against a wall on one side.   As you walk in my front door, you are basically in the "school room"... you have to walk past the couch to get into the "living room"...  (although they are one room)

In that area, there are three pantries lined up with school things against the far wall as you walk in the door.   They are only spaced about an inch apart, so it's a "wall" of school pantries.  (simple screw together kind from walmart, dark cherry wood look)

in front of those, facing the wall is a cute little student desk with a whiteboard cover.   Abby really loved this ($5.00 find) and it was well worth the investment just to get her excited.

There is also a very petite oval kitchen table that we use as the teacher's desk and a place where I have bins to store library books.   We keep out the main calculator, hole punch, stapler, a cup of pens/pencils.  I also have a morning board propped on either her desk or mine, and a few small whiteboards and clip boards.

We have three bean bag chairs that get stored in front of the pantries because it keeps the baby from being able to get into my pantries.

I have one dry erase board on the wall, but we have yet to use it for much. 

Technically, we don't really "school" back there, but it's where we keep it all, and my daughter does like to use her little desk for tracing her letters and doing her little do-it-herself worksheets.

oredeb
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

yes all over the house!!! oh yea and outside!

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM

We usually sit at the kitchen table, but she frequently ends up in my office or in the living room, which is where she's doing her Trig right now. :)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes and No.  We have a full "classroom" but we don't use it all that often.  The kitchen table is really better and closer to the sink for our science projects.  The couch is really just better for our reading time.  The porch is just do much better for our out of control big giant history projects (like building a castle).  The back yard works better for our astronomy lessons.  The livingroom floor just has enough extra space for our math manipulatives.

ambertreas76
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Dining room BUT the whole world is a classroom!!!!!!! When the weather gets cooler here in FL, we will have class at the park!!!
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Not really. We do most "together work" at the dining room table, but we read in the living room or on the comfy chair in DS' room. The white board and anything wall hang related to school is in the hallway. I'm not one who would be okay with homeschool and materials taking over the entire house, lol, so I try to keep all materials streamlined and in a place where they can easily be placed back on their shelves.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Dining room table........maybe once the baby is born and big enough to move upstairs that could be what our extra room could be for?  LOL  that might be a while since DH is not sure we are done. 

CafeMom Tickers
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM

We have an office/ school room. Two of the kids have desks there. My desk is there as well as all the supplies, the keyboard, etc. We also have a loveseat for cozy reading.

We use the whole house though. My oldest usually works in his room or on the couch in the living room. We do lots of lessons and experiments on the dining room table.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)