Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you have a designated homeschooling space?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you have a designated homeschooling space or 'classroom'?

We only have a computer niche and alcove that we can use. It works for now, but I'm wondering what everyone else has.

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
celticdragon77
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Our house and town.

julesjerry
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM

All over house.

But i heard when reading and writing there should be designated space will help child to learn better.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM

No. We did much of our work at the table. The kids each had a desk and bookshelf in their rooms. We also ended up on the sofa, the tree house, the park, the doctors office, the front porch and many other places.

mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM
We decided to convert the game room into a small classroom. Being close to the pantry just distracts my son and wants to eat all the time.

We started out in the kitchen table til it becomes confusing for my son. So we decided to separate kitchen from school room.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:27 PM

An alcove is the right word for our area.  It just has a bookcase (that the kids just built with DH!) and one of those bigger three drawer rubbermaid type containers.  I also have one giant rubbermaid container there that I put a lot of extra stuff in that we don't use regularly (like the file folders and sheet protectors, extra binders, big stuff really).

It's just the end of the hallway over the stairs, where the door to the attic is.  We had a computer there in the past, but then I just had some stuff kind of stored over there.  It's a good spot for our HS stuff to try to keep it all somewhat together!

AmyMamie
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:45 PM

My little guy is a kinesthetic learner, so we do best changing where we are.  We do Circle Time in the living room, then move to the kitchen table to do worksheets.  A lot of days we sit outside in our gazebo to do school, which he loves.  But anywhere we are, I let him bounce & move as he studies - it helps him focus.  I do have a school area where we store everything school-related, and have a desk (if he ever chooses to use it).

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:48 AM

half of my basement tvroom/playroom. It's a large, finished, open room. We've always had 2 kids craft tables and chairs in that area and lots of shelves for toys and stuff. I'm waiting for new chairs to arrive (from an school furniture website - still kid sized, but a little larger than the ones that came with play tables) and when those get here, dh is going to cut down the legs on a table I have a little shorter to be more of a kid height.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:37 AM
We have an area in dd's room but we usuaslly do school at the kitchen table or outside at their picnic table.
kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM

We have an area where we keep all of our supplies, but he does his work everywhere around the house.  He has a lapdesk he uses.

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I have 2 bookshelves overflowing....one large one small.  I have a cabinet that you would normally find in a gargage, but it is in my livingroom.....again overflowing with games, puzzles, maipulatives and such.  Both girls have a 4 foot folding table with a padded folding chair.  They also each have a t.v. and dvd player.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN