Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

She is LEARNING!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 11 Replies
6 moms liked this

Ok, at morning board today, Abby did good for a bit, but QUICKLY lost her momentum and started actually acting out.   By the time we got to the shapes flip cards, (that she asked to do and begged to go through new shapes, too) she was really acting like she wasn't paying attention.   To an extreme to where I couldn't finish a sentence myself for how distracting she was being.

I had to start reigning her in with both a little discpline and a promise to stop after three shapes and have some free time.

Anyway, FFW about 25 minutes and I'm grading my son's math (4th grade)... and he drew a diagram of a pentagon by following directions and then they asked him to name the shape and he wrote hexagon.

So, I asked his kindergarten sister how many sides a hexagon has... she answers correctly, and then I asked, what shape has five sides?  and she answers correctly...

I look at my son and say, "You are NOT smarter than a kindergartener!!!"  in a game show voice.   We all cracked up.   LOL!    My kids know I'm teasing, but just in case, I reminded him mom is teasing and playing.  That it's ok to make mistakes.  He grins and says, "I know, mistakes are how we learn!"

I'm so proud of BOTH of them.   Her for learning, him for being mature.

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Very uplifting after a morning of my kindergartener just banging his head and saying "this is boring"

But then 3yr old dd went through twice as many pages in her book...

Gotta love their differences right?
oredeb
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:33 PM

yea!!!! good job mom!!!

tnt-manda
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:34 PM
yeah...love those "I got this," kinda moments
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:34 PM

yeah, she was flipping around rolling on the couch and karate chopping when I was flipping the shape cards and she had a hard time saying, "triangle" which was always her favorite shape.   Guess she was listening afterall... LOL!

Your son probably was, too.. they are just being sneaky.

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Very uplifting after a morning of my kindergartener just banging his head and saying "this is boring"

But then 3yr old dd went through twice as many pages in her book...

Gotta love their differences right?

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:00 PM

They hear EVERYTHING (especially things you don't want them to) at that age! I love that she was able to show you she had been listening and learning though!  And that your son could laugh it off with you, and now i bet he will never get that wrong again, because he will remember that moment of his kindy sister showing him up! lol.  Glad to hear you are having a good day, I know it hasn't been easy lately!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM
That is fantastic! Seems like she is paying way more attention to when you are doing school with her brother. My kids did the same thing. That is actually how they each got started. By learning their siblings schoolwork. That us also how I found out that I didn't need to stress out too much when I "thought" they weren't learning the things I was trying to teach them. Goofy me! What did I know?!?!! lol
amanda.lyn
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Awesome!
ambertreas76
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM

That's fantastic!!!!!!

Precious333
by Julia on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Lol, cute :)
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM
That is funny but she is really smart.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)