Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Helicopter/Bulldozer moms....and homeschooling.

Posted by   + Show Post

I took my 2 older boys to their soccer practice today.  There are 3 homeschool moms who have children on this team.  The coach knew that there are 3 homeschool moms with the team.  I knew who all 3 of us were, but the coach did not.

So there is a Helicopter mom there, constantly talking to her kid, telling her to do this or do that:  :Get in line or you'll miss your turn, don't mess with your shin guard, be quieter sweetie, get in there, hustle up, don't let him crowd you...." and on and on and on.  There was Bulldozer mom there, talking at the coach right from the beginning: "So there are a lot of kids on this team, my kid has experience, so he's going to play this week right.  When's the next practice?  You know practices should be a little earlier, we need to get home to eat..." and on and on and on.

I found it interesting that the head coach talked to her assistant coach and asked if those 2 were the homeschooler moms.  HAHHAHAHAHA!  Two of the homeschooler moms were over at the playground with their youngest children and I was outside of the fence playing with my youngest.  So Sam (the assistant coach) glances over at me and laughs, "not even close" she said.

I know this isn't a large sampling or anything, but I found it very funny that the coach assumed that the helicopter and bulldozer were the hs moms and that the hs moms were actually not on the field at all.

Are you a helicopter or a bulldozer?  Are there any in your co-ops?

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Replies (21-30):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Bwahahaha..... I'm in my 30's and there are still things that I just don't get, commonsense-wise.

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

Took me until my 20's lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The logic does make sense, but the commone sense will come in later.

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

Yeah it was quite humorous bc her logic makes perfect sense if you go from one point to another but I'm still just shaking my head. The kid doesn't have a lick of common sense.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

I'm a helicopter mom but my dd doesn't take social ques at all. She asked if she.could have random candy from a random box at a bowling alley bc it was a box not a stranger offering -.- I am trying to back off a bit now that she's almost 10 (the candy happened like last month lol).

I got a kick out of that!  LOL  It's a box, not a stranger.  It's a strange box. 

Maybe I'm just tired but that brought tears, I'm laughin so hard!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM
I try not to be either, though, I know I need to either be in control or stay totally out of it.

At gymnastics, i try not even to watch. I stay out.of it.

Karate...My 15 yo DS and I are in the same class. They purposely dont pair us up though we spar at open workout sometimes. He is old enough I don't nit pick anymore..lol

At Scouts...this is my problem...I am totally old school and believe the program must be run a certain way so I have always been a Den leader in Cub Scouts and now Scoutmaster in Boy Scouts and make sire we are in a unit with the same.philosophy. we are actually founding a new Unit that goes active next week. I see "those parents" all the time...ugggg... i always have way more trouble with the adults than the boys.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My pet peeve is  the parent that is the exact opposite.   The parent that thinks it's horrendous to not be constantly engaging your children.   The ones that think that you have to ALWAYS be perfect and 100% involved in every moment of what your child experiences.     

Like sitting down on the bench at the park while they play and flipping through your email on your phone is one of the seven deadly sins.   I love my children, but I don't draw every breath in my body for my children.   I have times I expect them to respect my space and allow me some breathers.   

Also, it's not crappy parenting if I don't go play barbies with the child that I just played FOUR board games with.   It's ok, breathe, your child can entertain themselves once in a while and learn to not be the center of their parent's attention.

*gasp* she's such an inattentive mom, she told the child to actually go play for a while!!!

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I'm not either of those types. I have met one bulldozer, I called her "Sargent ____First Name____ behind her back.  She was not a homeschooler.

The homeschoolers I know are more moderate.

I've never met a helicopter parent. All the parents I know are amazingly selfish, wanting their own time and unaware of what's going on with their kids, such as when they aren't excited but are over tired.  I work in a church nursery and those poor kids are so tired but dragged around cause the parent wants to go, then they are dumped in the nursery.

The homeschoolers I know are more aware of what is going on with their kids and more considerate of them, IMO.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I try not to be either, though, I know I need to either be in control or stay totally out of it.

At gymnastics, i try not even to watch. I stay out.of it.

Karate...My 15 yo DS and I are in the same class. They purposely dont pair us up though we spar at open workout sometimes. He is old enough I don't nit pick anymore..lol

At Scouts...this is my problem...I am totally old school and believe the program must be run a certain way so I have always been a Den leader in Cub Scouts and now Scoutmaster in Boy Scouts and make sire we are in a unit with the same.philosophy. we are actually founding a new Unit that goes active next week. I see "those parents" all the time...ugggg... i always have way more trouble with the adults than the boys.

I'll bet.  I know it was that way when I taught school!

It's so hard not to watch, it's like a train wreck, you just have to peak!  LOL

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:08 PM

That's totally not me.  I really believe in giving my child enough space to find out what kind of person he is all on his own without my input.

"seven deadly sins..." LOL!  That cracked me up!

Quoting KrissyKC:

My pet peeve is  the parent that is the exact opposite.   The parent that thinks it's horrendous to not be constantly engaging your children.   The ones that think that you have to ALWAYS be perfect and 100% involved in every moment of what your child experiences.     

Like sitting down on the bench at the park while they play and flipping through your email on your phone is one of the seven deadly sins.   I love my children, but I don't draw every breath in my body for my children.   I have times I expect them to respect my space and allow me some breathers.   

Also, it's not crappy parenting if I don't go play barbies with the child that I just played FOUR board games with.   It's ok, breathe, your child can entertain themselves once in a while and learn to not be the center of their parent's attention.

*gasp* she's such an inattentive mom, she told the child to actually go play for a while!!!

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I'm not either of those types. I have met one bulldozer, I called her "Sargent ____First Name____ behind her back.  She was not a homeschooler.

I've never met a helicopter parent. All the parents I know are amazingly selfish, wanting their own time and unaware of what's going on with their kids, such as when they aren't excited but are over tired.  I work in a church nursery and those poor kids are so tired but dragged around cause the parent wants to go, then they are dumped in the nursery.

The homeschoolers I know are more aware of what is going on with their kids and more considerate of them, IMO.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I've seen homeschool moms that were like that, so I think it can happen regardless of how the child is educated, but I don't care for those types of moms.  I prefer to take my book and read on the side-lines, or to go off and do something I need to get done while the kids are in their lessons.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. Though I love playing with my kids, I also expected them to play alone and entertain themselves. If they ever said they were bored, I told them they could clear their rooms. LOL

Some parents these days seem to think they have to keep the kids busy or entertained. I so disagree.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Quoting Knightquester:

I've seen homeschool moms that were like that, so I think it can happen regardless of how the child is educated, but I don't care for those types of moms.  I prefer to take my book and read on the side-lines, or to go off and do something I need to get done while the kids are in their lessons.

It was really a sight to see.  I felt sorry for the kids.  I was out of the fencing playing with my youngest, his practice doesn't start until next week.  It was surprising that the coach made the assumption she did.  I agree it probably does happen in homeschoolers as with anyone else, although I have yet to see it.

Ecoseem
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I know I bounce between "Eh, he'll be fine" and bulldozing.  I really want to be less of a dozer though.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Quoting Ecoseem:

I know I bounce between "Eh, he'll be fine" and bulldozing.  I really want to be less of a dozer though.

Awwe!  I'm glad you've recognized it.  I know I probably have many faults I haven't recognized....so you're ahead of me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)